I need some mechanical advise

tonithetiger

Registered
Apparently this is a known problem with the Busa's, my 2nd gear is messed up.  

I talked to Suzuki and a dealership. Suzuki wont promise that it will be covered under warranty however, it is a possibility once they tear it down and depending upon the amount of damage will determine if I have abused it or not. If it is determined that it is not caused from abuse then Suzuki will potentially cover it under warranty.

More than likely they will find rounded clutch dogs on 2nd gear, burnt shift fork and damage to the drum from popping out of gear.

The Catch is that I have to have the dealership tear it down. If I end up paying for it that it would be between $1200-$1500 at the most.  Disassemble only is $495.

If Suzuki covers it, there is no issue, but if not. Is this reasonable?   (for a dealership)

I know about cars and am not affraid to get my hands dirty, but have no mechanical experience when it comes to motorcycles...

Any advise will be greatly appreciated....

<!--EDIT|tonithetiger
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152819767 -->

Its a 50/50 gamble.

We could help walk you thru it,but tearing into the tranny can be a headache.

99 times outa 100 Zook will blame it on abuse.

It will be up to your dealer to fight hard to get the repairs covered. In the end they want to be paid(your dealer),I think the average shop doesn't care who pays,as long as someone does.

If it was me,I would do it myself. I just dont care for other folks messing with my ride. If you do the repairs yourself you wont have a prayer getting Zook to pay for it. Thats just life.For you,and what you've said,let the shop do the work.If you have a good relationship with them they may fight hard to have Zook eat the bill. Unfortunately,their chances of convincing Zook are slim.You're between a rock and a hard place.

I feel for ya Bro.

RSD.

Its a 50/50 gamble.

We could help walk you thru it,but tearing into the tranny can be a headache.

99 times outa 100 Zook will blame it on abuse.

It will be up to your dealer to fight hard to get the repairs covered. In the end they want to be paid(your dealer),I think the average shop doesn't care who pays,as long as someone does.

If it was me,I would do it myself. I just dont care for other folks messing with my ride. If you do the repairs yourself you wont have a prayer getting Zook to pay for it. Thats just life.For you,and what you've said,let the shop do the work.If you have a good relationship with them they may fight hard to have Zook eat the bill. Unfortunately,their chances of convincing Zook are slim.You're between a rock and a hard place.

I feel for ya Bro.

RSD.
Thanks...  I do know the guys at the dealer and am sure they will help fight for me.  Not to stereo type but being a female is hopefully going to steer suzuki away from immediately assuming or thinking it is abuse. After talking to suzuki myself they seemed a little more receptive than dismissive as they were with the dealership. We will see.

I dont know enough about motorcycles to be comfortable taking on this big of a task myself. Having a license sukuzi dealer do it, will warranty the work and I have some recourse if they mess it up.

If this was an older motorcycle then maybe, but the dang thing is only 10 months old.

Before I agree to let then do the work, I want to get the opinion of other as to wether or not this is a reasonable price. First estimate I got was $2500, I am now down to $1200-$1500...

<!--EDIT|tonithetiger
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152822169 -->

I was able to get Suzuki USA rep to bless the repair to my Sons TLR needed mucho work on the trannie after 4 or 5 months of him riding it too hard (shhhh...don't tell please ;-) We got it in the shop and of course got the runaround from the local rep so I elevated it to National Rep level and finally got it OK'd to work it under warranty. Just play REAL HARD BALL with the local rep, and if that doesn't work, go higher until you get what you want. Only thing that didn't work out for us was the time it took the shop to get the repairs done.....almost 2 months in the shop...bastages....

Good Luck to ya, YMMV of course
cool.gif

They did it to my 02 and covered EVERYTHING. The dog bones ALL the gears even the oil filter.

We got it in the shop and of course got the runaround from the local rep so I elevated it to National Rep level and finally got it OK'd to work it under warranty. Just play REAL HARD BALL with the local rep, and if that doesn't work, go higher until you get what you want.
I already have the names of the Supervisor and managers on both the customer service and warranty level. You better believe I wont stop until I reach the top of the food chain.

But just in case, I dont want to put myself into a position that is going to cost me more out of pocket than necessary.

We got it in the shop and of course got the runaround from the local rep so I elevated it to National Rep level and finally got it OK'd to work it under warranty. Just play REAL HARD BALL with the local rep, and if that doesn't work, go higher until you get what you want.
I already have the names of the Supervisor and managers on both the customer service and warranty level.  You better believe I wont stop until I reach the top of the food chain.

But just in case, I dont want to put myself into a position that is going to cost me more out of pocket than necessary.
I'm here in the Tampa area...what dealer did you buy the bike from and is it the same dealer you are working with now?  

-Do you have paperwork for all scheduled maintenance and has it been done by an authorized Suzuki dealer?  If not they can screw you out of warranty work?

-Doesn't sound like they are going to bat for you.  What makes them think it is due to abuse?  It's a freakin' Hayabusa for crying out loud.  Are they saying there is evidence of improper shifting or something along those lines?  If so, what?

If you have serviced it according to schedule, I simply wouldn't accept it.

BTW, is that you mooning us in your avatar?
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|Over_Easy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152823508 -->

Is there a "lemon law" in that state?

Just a thought for just in case..

hogger...

I'm here in the Tampa area...what dealer did you buy the bike from and is it the same dealer you are working with now?  

-Do you have paperwork for all scheduled maintenance and has it been done by an authorized Suzuki dealer?  If not they can screw you out of warranty work?

-Doesn't sound like they are going to bat for you.  What makes them think it is due to abuse?  It's a freakin' Hayabusa for crying out loud.  Are they saying there is evidence of improper shifting or something along those lines?  If so, what?

If you have serviced it according to schedule, I simply wouldn't accept it.

biggrin.gif
I bought it from Sky in Lakeland however have been going to west coast in clearwater which is right down the street from my house.

West Coast has been doing the maintenance. Ben there is going to go to bat for me but suzuki is requiring me to authorize them to break it down so they can inspect it. I am negotiating the rates for the disassemble. I am just cautious when working with dealerships regardless of the repor you might have with them they are in business to make money. He is really trying to work with me on the initial upfront cost.

Abuse was Suzuki's initial response. That was everyones first response, but after speaking with them personally to denounce their assumptions they have changed their tune slightly and being more open minded and cooperative with both the dealership and myself. I play nice to begin with but definately not one to get on your bad side. I will get ugly if necessary....
mad.gif

BTW... Yes that is me in my avatar...
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Good luck on your repair

I don't understand why we pay good money for a product and then the manufacture tries to get out of a warranty repair.
What ever happened to taking care of your customers?
rock.gif
?

btw, funny signature

I didn't mess with a dealer, had a mech do it on the side for 800. New shift fork and undercut 2nd gear. Good luck

Mine went out at 1800 miles. Same story. The store owner told me to authorize the repair with the service manager and it would get taken care of. The Suzuki USA phone number was absolutely worthless. They told me they didn't make the decisions and they wouldn't tell me who would. What was the point with talking to them? I went up the ladder and kept getting the same response. The service manager told me it would be $1200 if I had to pay. Actually he gave me an exact price down to the penny. In the end Suzuki did it under "good will" because my dealer went to bat for me. I was to the point that I would not buy another Suz if they had hung me out to dry on that deal. I did pick up the two new gears and send them off to FBG for undercutting. I shipped them next day, they cut them the day they got them, and next day'ed them back the same day. Of course I paid for that but it works a lot better than it ever did. I cannot understand why Suzuki doesn't undercut them from the factory. Every other gear in the box is cut except 2nd, and obviously it works great when it is cut.

biggrin.gif

BTW... Yes that is me in my avatar...
biggrin.gif
Any chance of getting a bigger viewing?  
tounge.gif
animal!

tounge.gif
bowdown.gif

Your wish is my command...
Didn't know it would come to this when I asked if that was you showing us your good side in the avatar.

BTW, Sky Powersports has another location in Hudson just north of Clearwater off US 19 N.  Didn't know if they would work better for you since you bought your bike from a Sky dealership.  May be worth a shot if you have difficulties.

<!--EDIT|Over_Easy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153251381 -->

biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

Back