I lost one of my Great Danes...Maggie...

And THIS is what happens when you tear up the house when mommy and daddy are at work..
mad.gif

justicecrate2.jpg

But don't think for ONE minute that he is neglected..
tounge.gif

justiceanddad001.jpg

Michelle: I feel your pain and grief. I want to tell you that it gets better... well, it does but it never goes away. I have a story I would like to share with you....

Cathe (my Wife) and I were both in the military when we got married. Days after the wedding we both traveled to different bases and didn't get to see each other for around 6 months. When we did get together and started out lives as one we decided to not have children because of the threat of being separated again. We decided a dog would be a great addition to the family and started to look for a dog that fit our personalities. While we were visiting a local pound someone came in with a cardboard box that contained two dogs, it was dropped on the side of the road in -20F degree weather.
Needless to say we fell in love with both of them, but could not get both. We decided that we would let the dogs out in a room and the first one to approach us would be the dog we took with us... enter Curlie Joe into our lives. He was a Husky/Shepard/wolf mix... yup he was messed up from the beginning. LOL
Move now 15 years into the future....
Curlie Joe has been there through it all... deployments, both our Children's births, the bad times when we didn't know where the money for the next meal was going to come from and the good times when vacationed only at places that allowed us to take Curlie with.
We take him to the vet because he is developing a lump on the side of his head, it turns out to be cancer. He goes in for surgery and its removed. Within a year the lump is back, he's starting to go blind, and seems to be in a log of pain.
One night we are heading up to the bedroom and Curlie can't climb the stairs and is sitting at the bottom whining just a little... Cat and I spend the night downstairs on the couch. The next morning we took a ride to the vet and had Curlie (our first child) put to sleep. The vet walks in and injects him... he looks up at us and takes a deep breath... closed is eyes... and goes to sleep. His reaction was like he was saying "thank you". Cat and I didn't leave the vets office for some time as we couldn't stop crying like little babies. (to tell you truth its been 5 years and I sitting here with tears streaming down my face just typing this out). Curlie was creamated as well and resides in our house with us still.

Michelle I just thought sharing this with you might help you.
Sorry for you loss.
george

Curlie_Joe.jpg

Kat - thanks so much! I have tons of pics of Maggie lying just like Justice does, on her back, all 4's up in the air! LOL She loved that...and shhhhh, I won't tell your hubby you posted the one of him and J sleeping when he was sick...
tounge.gif
Justice is so cute...
smile.gif

George - amazing how long you had him! And so sad you had to let him go...the vet told me on Sunday that we'd just done the most humane thing we could for Maggie; that we did the right thing, so I keep hearing that in my head to let me know there was nothing else to be done...it's tough though, as it was for you and Cat...to have him through so much of your life, all the changes, all of the moves and phases of life...yep, an old friend there always, then you have to let 'em go...not easy...he was adorable!
smile.gif

And you reminded me with your story that when we went to get a Dane, there were 7 or 8 24lb 11 week olds running all around us. We were overwhelmed! I sat down and over comes the quietest puppy of 'em all...she layed in my lap, hubby's across from me surrounded by tongues licking him LOL I said "this is the one" and it only took a minute for Mike to agree...she chose us...
cool.gif

Great, now we're both crying!!!!
blush.gif

smile.gif

she chose us...
cool.gif
The best ones always do, whether it's at the breeder, or the one that shows up on the doorstep looking for a meal and a little love...
wink.gif

Edit: Sometimes I think they sense when a little love is needed, rather than looking for it for themselves.

Edit2: And ya'll are about to make the big bad popo roll a tear.
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141315906 -->

wink.gif

Awww...it's okay to cry fellas...
blush.gif
I mean, I know you guys post in your boxers, so why not cry too?
laugh.gif

I think maybe a trip to the pound is in order for me... I need a friend right now.
wink.gif

Unless Gunnybusa's calling me and I have to email him saying "NOT NOW! I MEAN IT!" because I'm in tears...
blush.gif

Awww...it's okay to cry fellas...
blush.gif
 I mean, I know you guys post in your boxers, so why not cry too?  
laugh.gif
I post nekkid... should I still cry? Or should you all, now that you know that?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I was just saying...you know, what we do on the end of a keyboard doesn't have to be known...
tounge.gif
Oh... So maybe I shouldn't have told that?  
all_coholic.gif
Far too late now...

smileyexhibit.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Agreed, when we went to pic out Justice we were in the kitchen of this house, with about 8 puppies loving on us. Well GJoker was loving on the Daddy who was pure great dane and the sweetest thing in the world. So I'm on the floor getting ALL kinds of puppy love and there's a black one that would come up to me and give a sniff then run over to near GJoker, then slooowwwwllyyy walk back over to me and give a sniff. He did that about 3 times, then just kind of plopped down in front of me, ready for some love.

We picked him.
smile.gif

Back