I lost one of my Great Danes...Maggie...

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
A day I've been dreading since I brought my girl home...and it was so incredibly unexpected, especially after I just got a clean bill of health on both Danes a week ago today...

Maggie started getting sick Saturday night, when my poor hubby was stuck at work and the kids were really grating on my nerves...when the dust settled and I could sit with Maggie, I started getting a sinking feeling...that night I slept (well, I dozed, woke, dozed, woke, dozed, woke) in the living room with Maggie, realizing as the hours passed that I just didn't think she was going to get better...I was online around midnight looking for info on bloat, but it usually takes dogs in a matter of hours and by then, Maggie had been sick for 6+ hours...we'd lived through bloat with Scooby to the tune of about $1200 to save his life, but the symptoms were so much more evident with him and time was critical...I was confused as to what she had going on, started worrying that she'd gotten in to antifreeze or something...

By a.m. I was certain I'd need to call our vet...poor vet was sick herself, but she met me to confirm that Maggie indeed was in the process of bloating...seems some go fast and some do not. She's been suffering all night despite me trying to make her comfortable, so we had to put her down; toughest thing I've had to do in some time and I've cried and cried and cried and it's not getting any better. She was my first "child" and had been with us for nearly 11 years. She was old by Dane standards and I'm lucky I had her as long as I did...our house seems very empty now, and Scooby (our almost 9 year old Dane) is feeling the effects of not having his girl around...he's having a tough time, shaking a lot as if we'd taken her away and he's next, he keeps looking for her...it's sad, but he's getting plenty of extra love 'til he adjusts...

Maggie's being cremated...first time I've ever done this for a pet...

So, here's the last pic I took of Maggie a few weeks back...and one of her when she was a youngster, tearing up stuffed toys we'd buy her...

maggie.JPG

I'm soooo sorry Va. That is the hardest thing ever. She's over Rainbow Bridge, and will be waiting for you.

Give Scooby an extra squench.

very sorry for your loss Va... my wife and I have lost a few pets over the years and it is hard to lose a family member!
sad.gif

So sorry Michelle...

It's never easy when you lose a loved pet..
Still saddens me when I think of all the friends I've lost over the years .

sorry Michelle. I know how hard it is to do that. I put my best buddy down a few years ago and I still tear up thinking about it. At least I have him with me every day with the tattoo I had of him done on my shoulder.

Sorry for your loss Michelle
sad.gif
RIP Maggie

We have three tins with 2 dogs and a cat in them on a shelf in the family room.
blush.gif

I hate you hear about it Va. She is in a better place now. But look at it this way, she will see you on the other side.

Sorry to hear Va. Been thru the same with a cat I had 16 years.

RIP Maggie

sad.gif
Today sucks...

My coworkers know not to say anything 'cause I start crying like a baby...uncontrollable and pathetic...
sad.gif
sad.gif

Thanks everyone; I know there are far worse things I could be posting up and that there are worse things happening in peoples' lives, but I miss her soooooo much...

And in the back of my mind are thoughts of another dog someday, but I think it'll be a while...my Danes have proven to be very heartbreaking dogs to own...both had bloat and now I've lost one to it...Maggie had problems with hypertrophic osteodystrophy and the vet wanted to put her down when she was 4 months old...we owned a beautiful Dane pup for all of 3 weeks when we had to put her down because she had megaesophogus...they've definitely got a laundry list of issues with the breed, but I can't imagine NOT having a Dane after seeing how loving and dedicated they are to their families...

Maggie was by far the absolute sweetest dog I've ever had...never growled at anyone, never bit anyone, loved all kids and cats, other dogs, didn't mind strangers...she was a complete doll and I can't imagine ever replacing her...
sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

Very sorry for your loss..... She was soo sweet looking dog...

I own a pet once... not anymore... Hurt too much...
sad.gif

Thanks Vic...
sad.gif
She was an angel...

Yep, it hurts, but I can't imagine not having pets though...that would be tough as well...

Sorry for your loss Michelle. It doesn't matter what species, a family member is a family member.
sad.gif

It's never easy to part ways, but believe she is running in greener pastures now. RIP Maggie.

Back