I lost one of my Great Danes...Maggie...

very sad indeed, I can't imagine living that again
sad.gif

My heart goes out to you Michelle. I just spent two nights up with my 13 year old pitt. First night he was pacing all over the house and by the next night he couldn't get up on his own, so that morning I took him to the vet and found out his prostate is about 5 times larger than normal. He had surgery that day (yesterday) to try and start the shrinking process but deep down I know it's getting near the end and it's killing me. I'm very sorry for your loss.

oh man this breaks my heart, im sorry for your loss. just from your posts i know that you give your pets a good home and that they are happy- you are a good pet owner and did the right thing- maggie couldnt ask for a better master.
again im very sorry for your loss
sad.gif

Thanks guys...it really means a lot, plus I know we all go through times like this, right?

I can't thank the members here enough...all the PMs and kind thoughts, stories...the flowers yesterday brought me to my knees crying AGAIN (gee thanks) but they were so appreciated, I just can't explain...

I can't find the thread where RSD was doing all of this stuff for me (the turkey) so I'll post up the pic of my flowers here and say thanks once again to all those that contributed...you guys and gals made my day!
biggrin.gif

flowers.jpg

Sorry to hear about your loss. A family member is a family member. And pets are part of your family and life. It will just take time to get better.

Va

I did post in this thread expressing my sorrow, but honestly couldnt read through the whole thread. When I lost my Rottie 18 months ago, when I had to put him down due to cancer we were battling for almost 2 years...it was the most gutt wrenching thing I've ever been through. I have a very high reguard for human life, and have lost several friends and family members, but to put down my best friend of 8 years was tougher than anything I ever had to do.

I waited some time and got a German Shepherd pup, and maybe it was a little soon but we have grown to be great friends. Yes it is a different relationship, but just as special. I think my GSD can sense that when I look into his eyes from time to time - he knows Im wishing my old pal was sitting next to me, just waiting to take car rides, or keep my feet warm when I slept, or just greeting me at the door with his waggin stub of a tail.

I realized this wasnt fair to my new pup, and had to let my old pal live in my heart and not in my head. When I was able to do this, my new pup (Now almost 2 years old) warmed up to me in an unexpected way. And now when I come home, I look for my new buddy and not wishing my old pal would somehow miracously greet me. Everyone deals with grief differently, but know we are here to support you.

My Aunt and Uncle breeds Champion Danes and will post a link if and when the time ever comes you would like another Gentle friend....when the time is right, and if your intrested, drop me an email and I can put you in personal contact with them.

John

BlueStone Great Danes

Va

I did post in this thread expressing my sorrow, but honestly couldnt read through the whole thread. When I lost my Rottie 18 months ago, when I had to put him down due to cancer we were battling for almost 2 years...it was the most gutt wrenching thing I've ever been through. I have a very high reguard for human life, and have lost several friends and family members, but to put down my best friend of 8 years was tougher than anything I ever had to do.

I waited some time and got a German Shepherd pup, and maybe it was a little soon but we have grown to be great friends. Yes it is a different relationship, but just as special. I think my GSD can sense that when I look into his eyes from time to time - he knows Im wishing my old pal was sitting next to me, just waiting to take car rides, or keep my feet warm when I slept, or just greeting me at the door with his waggin stub of a tail.

I realized this wasnt fair to my new pup, and had to let my old pal live in my heart and not in my head. When I was able to do this, my new pup (Now almost 2 years old) warmed up to me in an unexpected way. And now when I come home, I look for my new buddy and not wishing my old pal would somehow miracously greet me. Everyone deals with grief differently, but know we are here to support you.

My Aunt and Uncle breeds Champion Danes and will post a link if and when the time ever comes you would like another Gentle friend....when the time is right, and if your intrested, drop me an email and I can put you in personal contact with them.

John

BlueStone Great Danes
It is truly amazing what animals, especially dogs can "know". They read people like people read books. Glad you and your GSD finally gelled.
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141313463 -->

I appreciate you sharing that John...why is it that losing a close pet is so tough? I mean, I've lost my grandfather and my stepfather in the last year and yet I can almost talk about 'em without falling apart (almost), yet I tear up at the mention of my 16 year old cat that I put down 7 years ago and I can only imagine I'll be the same way with Maggie...
sad.gif
I guess it's just that they become so much a part of your daily routine. I look around my house and know exactly what's missing every time I walk in...I don't see Maggie's bed, I don't have to get up in the middle of the night to let her out 'cause old age had made her bladder weak, I see her Margaritaville collar hanging on a chair all tattered and torn, I had to give Scooby heart worm pills today and I'm so used to giving two dogs the meds, I see Maggie's empty food bowl and my heart sinks...it's a huge hole in my house and I know it's silly to even be going on like this, but I just never knew how much this would hurt.

I too will do what you did and move on...I fear just what you've described...don't want to get another thinking he/she will fill that void...Maggie was a fawn Dane, and I've already considered that if/when we get another, it can't be a fawn...I just don't want to try to compare the two...

Thanks for your kind words and I'm so sorry about your Rottie; cancer in pets is the most heartbreaking thing, just as it is in humans...I'm so glad you've got a pal now that adores you and that you enjoy...I'm checking out that site now, though I know I'm not ready to get a new Dane just yet. Scooby's my focus now; I don't think I'll have him nearly as long as I had Maggie
sad.gif

Beautiful Danes...the BlueStones...wow...
smile.gif

sad.gif

I don't have too many of him here at work... but I'll see what I got.

Here he is comforting GJoker when GJoker had a BAD flu, laringytis and everything.

(He's going to KILL me... but as long as you like it Va)

doggynurse.jpg

and the day we brought him home. I keep asking Justice what he did with that cute little pup. He won't confess.

Apr18972.jpg

Wow, that was a big pic.. sorry..

Here he is swimming..
poolswim0531.jpg

and saying Hi to Jezebel

poolbrag0531.jpg

and time to dry off and get something to eat. Swimming always makes us hungry
laugh.gif

pooldry0531.jpg

Hmmm..
here he is last year on his birthday.. forgot to do it this year. His B-day was Feb 8th. He's a whopping 2 years old!!

day_dog_1.jpg

and this is when he was about 6 months..His favorite sleeping position.

justiceandbear1104.jpg

Oh and this (before he got snipped, obviously
laugh.gif
)
justicepose1104.jpg

Back