I am so jealous!!!!!!

Post deleted. Didn't read the whole thread.
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|flrider
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156964206 -->

Well I guess I don't feel as bad now. In DC, the traffic is just terrible. I would not do it on 66 or 495 in VA. The VA State Troopers are idiots and would love to give you a ticket for anything.:p

One of the only things i miss about California... lane splitting!

Instead of splitting lanes between bumper to bumper cars going from lane to lane with a quick turn of the wheel and quick touch of the gas, would it not be much safer to use the outside shoulders of the lanes?

Instead of splitting lanes between bumper to bumper cars going from lane to lane with a quick turn of the wheel and quick touch of the gas, would it not be much safer to use the outside shoulders of the lanes?
We have a solid line on the outside of the right lane and you're not suppose to cross it unless you have to pull off the road.

On the Freeway MOST people hold their line and you are past them before they see you
wink.gif

When the traffic is real slow and they are paying attention...many drivers give you MORE room...kinda of like a parting of the sea
biggrin.gif

This is from the California Highway Patrol Home Page.

Q&A
Can motorcycle riders "split" lanes and ride between other vehicles?

Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner.

Man I wish it was legal here in NY.

This site is the really good when you want to find out about bike laws.
Check it out.

This is from the California Highway Patrol Home Page.

Q&A
Can motorcycle riders "split" lanes and ride between other vehicles?

Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner.

Man I wish it was legal here in NY.
I wish VA wouldbe so laxed!

Lane splitting seems like a good way to get your ass on the pavement (or worse), especially if it isn't legal...then it's your fault as well.

I'm never in that much of a hurry to risk myself and my bike, I'd rather get home in one piece.

Even if it's legal your assuming John Q Public is aware of the law (which he probably isn't) and is aware of YOU! That's more credit than I give anybody when I ride.

<!--EDIT|Justyntym
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156984744 -->

Lane splitting seems like a good way to get your ass on the pavement (or worse), especially if it isn't legal...then it's your fault as well.

I'm never in that much of a hurry to risk myself and my bike, I'd rather get home in one piece.

Even if it's legal your assuming John Q Public is aware of the law (which he probably isn't) and is aware of YOU! That's more credit than I give anybody when I ride.
Locals are aware of it that’s why they scoot over when you approach.

Rich why are most of the out of staters so scared about splitting traffic? Is it because they haven’t done it them selves or is ignorance as to what lane sharing actually is?

One of the only things i miss about California... lane splitting!
+1. When done regularly, in a prudent manner, such as only in bumper to bumper situations on the freeway or to get to the front at a red light, it's not as dangerous as someone who hasn't done it might think. Oh, California dreaming...

I have been here for 4 months now, it has been great riding EVERY DAY!!! Been riding Telegraph, Banner, and Palomar as often as I can and now on my 3rd back tire. The pavement on those roads kills your tires.

Rich why are most of the out of staters so scared about splitting traffic? Is it because they haven’t done it them selves or is ignorance as to what lane sharing actually is?
Robb I think that the whole idea of "splitting" freaks most people out...it's like learning to ride a sport bike. Also the newbs that ask about a Busa for a first bike ? They have no experience to draw from.

Splitting or Lane Sharing is an acquired skill...I always do it in heavy traffic, if the flow is at the limit or above, I make lane changes.

They don't realize that we do this EVERYDAY and it is routine riding skills in CA....done properly it's not any more dangerous than throwing a leg over a sport bike
wink.gif

Robb I think that the whole idea of "splitting" freaks most people out...it's like learning to ride a sport bike. Also the newbs that ask about a Busa for a first bike ? They have no experience to draw from.

Splitting or Lane Sharing is an acquired skill...I always do it in heavy traffic, if the flow is at the limit or above, I make lane changes.

They don't realize that we do this EVERYDAY and it is routine riding skills in CA....done properly it's not any more dangerous than throwing a leg over a sport bike
wink.gif
I wholeheartedly agree. It is like second nature for us in CA. Of course since 92 we have had to wear a helmet whether we wanted to or not.

So that's the name...."Lane Sharing Law"....Why wouldn't VA adapt a law like this? I guess I am kinda of telling on myself...However, on the GW Parkway or on 395 in DC, I always ride the center lane IF traffic is stopped or at a slow crawl. My main reason is that my bike gets really hot underneath me. Sometimes it feels like a fire under my but.
tounge.gif
We call it lane splitting....sometimes you have to "split lanes" to get anywhere
wink.gif
+1

Especially in LA and the Inland Empire!!!

Back