hump

I did just the same thing the other night, followed one of the posts in this forum, took apart the tail light, pulled out the light bulbs, and then with a pair of needle nose pliars took the socket and twisted it out then pushed it inside the bike, then with the seat off and with that little plate that hooks the tail piece together together off I took out the tank prop and inserted it into the now vacant bulb socket and within (literally) 2 minutes had the hump popped off, it took a minute or 2 for me to figure out how the bulbs came off but other than that the whole process took me about 20 minutes with no damage save finger prints all over the inside of my tail lens.

well I had to eventually dremel the undertail. I have a square 4x4 hole where I reached my hand up and unlatched the locking mech. I trimmed the undertail up and have a piece of sheet metal sealing the hole. Undertail ordered this morning.

sad.gif
Damn Man, sorry about that... Just be glad your keys weren't inside when you latched it. A guy down here did that... Yeah... He was more than pissed...

Another tip for future reference.  Just unscrew the entire mechanism.  You can't forget to hook the latch back up if you just unscrew the whole piece that it latches onto. Only two bolts but it saves plenty of headaches.
laugh.gif
No, remember where your key is is probably the best advice for a NO HEADACHE day.

Back