hump

paineless4u

Donating Member
Registered
well I installed the alarm and did the grab bar hump mod but I left out one big detail,,,,,,,,forgot to connect the cable to the hump latch. Now I am stuck!!!!!! Worse case senerio dremel the damn hump off and buy new or find out how to get this thing off without causing damage. Any suggestions???

sad.gif

sorry dude

Don't dremel it!!! I know there are a few posts out here that show you how to open it when this happens. Do a search on it or wait for someone who has gone down this path before you tear up your hump. Good luck...

There are a couple of things you can do. Remove your front seat and fish a wire hanger through. Also I think you can move the black cover over your rectifier to reach inside the hump as well and fish the hanger to pull the latch.

I did it you can remove with NO DAMAGE to anything.
Fisrt off remove the seat. then take out the center piece between the tail section[pushpull tabs] Now take a sreww driver and push the tabs off the hump out from under the hooks that holds the front down lifting the front of the hump at the same time being care not to chip the paint at thback of hummp/tail section. now you should be able to get to the four bolts that hold the mechanisem to the bottem of hump remove front 2 inorder to allow more room to get your hand around behind to trip lock push it to the left side [shifter side] or pop cable up out of its holder and pull on it.
I've done it so I know it can be done. small hands big help 16 year old son had the small hands. Good luck its a Beyotch to do. but can be done less than an hour to do..

Yeah I think the coat hanger is my best shot......Thanks all. I'll let you know how it worked. Also have a few pics but cannot post on this site for some reason. Tried everything short of emailing my pics to someone else to post....

If you have an aftermarket undertail you can remove that as well. Then you can use a screwdriver and pop the little latch to open it up.

I heard about a guy that cut a hole in the bottom fender. Once in, he just melted the floor back in.
rock.gif
tounge.gif

Ok I tried the removing of the seat and am affraid to pry the hump off the two hooks in the front because I have a feeling the tail section/hump will bind and chip paint so I will take a better look in the daylight and see if there is another way.......plus my hand is way to big to push back there to unlatch....

Um yeah, you can use a hole saw and drill in from underneath... then buy the proper sized plug or just use some epoxy...

Um yeah, you can use a hole saw and drill in from underneath...  then buy the proper sized plug or just use some epoxy...
Hmmm I may this just in case I end up doing this. Prolly be alot easier with the hump off...Thanx Rev.

I shall call it the undertail-hump mod.   haahaahaa

<!--EDIT|UUBusa
Reason for Edit: "Cause I can't type...dayum"|1098130851 -->

if u have an undertail installed take that off, thats what i had to do. or cut a hole in the bottom. good excuse to buy an undertail
smile.gif

I had to do it once, I removed the front seat and had my wife stick her dainty hands in there. It was tight but we did it.
sad.gif

Kevin did you still have to pop the two hooks off the front or was the wife able to reach back there and unlatch? I would rather cut the bottom then risk chipping the paint. Undertail might be the next mod before anything else......

There are a couple of things you can do.  Remove your front seat and fish a wire hanger through.  Also I think you can move the black cover over your rectifier to reach inside the hump as well and fish the hanger to pull the latch.
You beat me to it busabro, because that is exactly what I was going to suggest. Good Luck!!

Well if you can get a coat hanger, and hook it at one end... then try to grab the cable with the hook, then all you would have to do is pull on the hanger and this should release the hump. The cable shouldn't be hard to grab because it will go between the latch itself and the locking mechanism. Did this to one of my homeboy's bikes and it worked like a charm. One thing that helps is if the hook is rather small. It's a fairly tight area, but it does work.

Brian

I did the same thing. What I ended up doping was cutting a soft-ball size hole in the undertray, reaching up through, and eventually getting the latch lever to move and disengage. Obviously, I had to get a neew undertray (pretty cheap on eBay). To prevent recurrence, I drilled a 3/8 hole in the new under tray directly under the latch and "plugged" it with grommet. I also cut out the bottom of the the little tray thing that sits directly beneath the latch. Now, if I forget to reattach the cable, I can pop the grommet out and reach up with a long screw driver for easy access to the latch.

Another tip for future reference. Just unscrew the entire mechanism. You can't forget to hook the latch back up if you just unscrew the whole piece that it latches onto. Only two bolts but it saves plenty of headaches.
laugh.gif

Kevin did you still have to pop the two hooks off the front or was the wife able to reach back there and unlatch? I would rather cut the bottom then risk chipping the paint. Undertail might be the next mod before anything else......
Mine happened with the seat on it. I pulled the seat right up, the plastic hooks bent and came out or there little ring things. That gave us a little more room to work with. Plastic is flexible. It worked for me.
wink.gif

Back