Removing the Hump without the latch?

_ZeF

Donating Member
Registered
Ok i'm dumb... I removed the tail section last weekend and reinstalled it about 2 hours later... The problem? I forgot to reconnect the hump latch cable...

I noticed only this afternoon when trying to pop the hump up, the key was turning but i couldn't lift it! Didn't take me long to figure out what was happening. Now anybody has an idea on the simplest way to access the latch or I dont know what that can help me remove the hump?
rock.gif
?

Thanks

I'm not gonna lie to you... It's a B!TCH, but it's possible
wink.gif

I had to go through it
mad.gif

Let me look for the pics to show you how I removed my hump...

Okay i tought i wouldn't be the first to do that!!!! Now i took some notes and will be trying tonite...

Thanks very much for the link! That help is appreciated

wink.gif

Good luck! Its not pretty,but You can do this.Your arm is gonna get a little scratced up.I think the Busa man's got you covered,NJ.:)

Ok i'm dumb... I removed the tail section last weekend and reinstalled it about 2 hours later... The problem? I forgot to reconnect the hump latch cable...

I noticed only this afternoon when trying to pop the hump up, the key was turning but i couldn't lift it! Didn't take me long to figure out what was happening. Now anybody has an idea on the simplest way to access the latch or I dont know what that can help me remove the hump?
rock.gif
?

Thanks
yer fugged

woohoo.gif

Naw yu aint. Opened mine at a gas station once.

If you have a stock undercarrage, drill a small hole in the trunk and reach up there and pop the latch. All done.

If you have an undertail. You need to remove all the pop rivits, using a wrench and a whole lot of turns remove the bolts holding the grabrail down, everso daintly fold the seat out the way if you have on the back seat... If not remove the bunjee hooks and basically loosen the tail section as much as possible. The from the bottom left side take a long wire or coat hanger type material. I used ground wire because it had rubber sheething on it. Make a small "L" at the tip. Reach up there and pull the latch. Pretty easy. With the whole tail section loose you can also reach it from the seam with a long skinny screw driver.

NOW WHEN YOU GET IT OPEN.......... Take some fishing line or spider wire and wrap it around the latch release mechanisim. Run it to a secret location you know of. Loosen the tail section pop rivits and pull the line your good too go..

Done it 3 times.
JD

You can slide a ruler or flat piece of metal between the tail light and the cowl, slide it up against the lever and push toward the key side. A 12" metal ruler will work but a longer one works better.

A lot easier than cutting up your bike or struggling with the the bodywork.

I've always just taken the whole mechanism off when messing with the tail section, helps to avoid this problem all together.

You can slide a ruler or flat piece of metal between the tail light and the cowl, slide it up against the lever and push toward the key side. A 12" metal ruler will work but a longer one works better.

I've always just taken the whole mechanism off when messing with the tail section, helps to avoid this problem all together.
Yu used to slimjim before didnt you. Hellova Idea and much easier.

JD

The people on this site are the best! show me another site that offers such helpfull information for any question or problem. You can't do it. Good job guys.

the absolute fastest way to get in there...

have a van full of drunken fugheads slam that tail section...

like this....

andybike2.jpg

Yu used to slimjim before didnt you. Hellova Idea and much easier.

JD
Glad I could help.
cool.gif

my advice is motorhead sells new undertails for 250.00 tyd. Been there and painfully done that. Save yourself the frustration and order a new undertail.

Back