How do you conquer a flash-back? wreck

PocketRocket

Donating Member
Registered
Anyone out these ever had a real bad wreck on a bike ? and did/ do you ever get the pucker effect when riding?
I was hit by a truck on the interstate about 20 years ago, I was in a turn and a truck side swipped me at about 70+ mph) and swore I would never ride again, then I saw the BUSA aaahhhhh I had to ride again, and here I am .. Going straight at any speed doesnt bother me at all. BUT when I get in a turn and have to lean , even simple turns , I'm getting the jitters... BUT I can jump on a dirt bike and raise hell , No prob, but when I get on the road, and I see vehicles and turns , the warning signs pop up in my head.. & when a vehicle gets too close while riding or at a light ( like some of the idiots that get on your azz ), I freekin explode.
By the way , when I got hit only two people stopped and the was Gene Lasker , Hulk Hogans race car driver . I knew him for a couple years , and he happen to see me on the side of the road.. another was an old man who saw the truck , he said he couldnt catch it , it took off faster than he could go..

Wow, I definitely know this feeling :nervous:, sorry I don't know how to make it go-away.

Get back on the horse, with enough miles...maybe the fears will go away.

I'm always extra cautious when approaching an intersection, after the left hand turn in front of me a couple of years ago that totalled out my bike. It was as if I wasn't there. Ride like you're invisable guys.

Last edited:
Considering the age of your accident, you have an impression still very real in your emotional fabric somewhere. Ride carefully, take your time, relearn the turn, the entrance, the rotation, the finish. The anxiety will pass over time. It must have been quite a trauma if it's still with you now, then again, you're putting yourself back in similar territory to the original incident. If your apprehension comes up, remember to breathe and feel your way through it. :super: That was then, this is now.........

Just give it some time. After my wreck I had the same feelings about going into turns to fast and would get freaked out. I slowed down a lot and just took my time getting back into it. After a while things just kind of worked out and I was able to get on with riding. Use your experiance to your advantage and learn from it.

I think the others are right, just give it time. It will always be there, but as time goes on, I'm sure you will learn how to deal with it so that it will help make you a safer rider without it controlling you.

Sorry bout the sig pict, I will have to fix that. :)

Last edited:
It will always be there, I have had 2 cars pull in front of me & I hit them broadside. Don't forget & don't let your guard down, it will keep you alive.

Definately ride like you are invisible.

When I was 21 (25 years ago) I hit a school bus. It pulled out of a drive way in front of me and I T-boned it.

I was doing about 75 (I was young and stupid, now I am just old and a "little" less stupid).

Fortunatley for me I was able to manuever just enough where I hit the bumper. My bike ripped the bumper completly off the bus and my body flew behind the bus and I hit a tree (I was told it was cool looking, witness said it was like a cartoon, I hit it vertical and they said I kind of stuck to it for a few seconds and slowly slid down)

Anyway, I had had a few vechile wrecks before this that messed me up and I got over so I knew I needed to get right back on.

I am real cautious now and I dont think "that" wreck affects my riding but I still twitch on occasion when I see a yellow school bus :laugh:

Just take it slow, ride a pace you feel comfortable and like others said, time in the saddle should help you get past it.

I broke my back, shattered my pelvis, and tore off my tricep in an incident with a semi back in 2005. I've logged about 25k miles since then, and I still think about every single time I ride. In fact, I still pretty much freak out if I hear a semi air horn.

Like MPH200 said, it'll never go away, but it keeps you thinking and on your toes - and that makes it less likely to happen again.

Wow, I can empathize with this one... never got over it myself

was 14 and riding a bicycle down Broadway road in Tempe AZ just before Xmas with a friend Mitch Varble.. (funny how names burn into our minds) and a drunk passed a car by using the shoulder of the road..

Guess who was there.. Mitch spent much of the next year in the hospital and I landed in a drainage ditch.. I walked away.. have NEVER ridden a pedal bike on a street since...

Prayer. I've had many negative events that I used to replay over and over in my head. One day, with a little help and nudging from a friend I realized I was of no use to god or my fellows if I was stuck in the past. :angel:

Perhaps this one:

God help me become willing to let go of all the things to which I still cling. Help me to be ready to let You remove all of these defects, that Your will and purpose may take their place.

Amen

Hey don't knock it till you try it!

Adam

I've been beaten, cut , shot & in 40 + years only 2 things still really stick in my head..1 the wreck and the other was a Great white shark that was just a few feet away from me when I fell off a Knee board .. wow it took over a year before I got back in the wa wa... Man that thing was huge!!!! I can still see its eyez. I fell off and the boat came back around ( we were a few miles out) the driver saw it and zoomed over , I grabbed the rope and he about yanked my arms off.. close!!

I've been beaten, cut , shot & in 40 + years only 2 things still really stick in my head..1 the wreck and the other was a Great white shark that was just a few feet away from me when I fell off a Knee board .. wow it took over a year before I got back in the wa wa... Man that thing was huge!!!! I can still see its eyez. I fell off and the boat came back around ( we were a few miles out) the driver saw it and zoomed over , I grabbed the rope and he about yanked my arms off.. close!!
oh fricken great.... will never water ski off the coast again... like a giant fishing lure without the hooks....

Thanks PR..... :rofl: (honestly when you peed your pants, did the shark take it personal? ) :laugh:

Thanks Don, I really enjoyed it!!!!! Nice pictures( except mine) but that cant be helped!!:laugh: lets go again... I'm addicted and ready to ride, I'm try'in to slow down on the work load for the next month or two.. PS I think you caught the Hooters Girl question, COMPOST?

Thanks Don, I really enjoyed it!!!!! Nice pictures( except mine) but that cant be helped!!:laugh: lets go again... I'm addicted and ready to ride, I'm try'in to slow down on the work load for the next month or two.. PS I think you caught the Hooters Girl question, COMPOST?

Yea, I did...something about Ranch dressing I believe :laugh:

Prayer definatly works as well as continue riding and conquring your fear. Even if it's little by little.

I had a highside in the rain back in '98 and when i got the blackbird repaired with a new 2 bros exhaust replacing the stock, believe it or not the first 2 days i went out with it i was just hammering on the bike. Evening of the 2nd day i took a buddy's sister for a ride clear beyond 150mph. I was feeling great. Took a rest and a few days later I rode with some freinds. It was at night and we got on a open highway with no cops and started to open it up when i just glanced at the concrete moving below me.....and just stared...and remembered my highside in detail extreme enough I jerked the bars in fright and backed off.

I was gunshy from then on for almost a month. Didn't want to ride with freinds or anything. Almost sold the bird and gave it up. I did start to miss the fun of riding though and just came to realize God has his finger on all our pulses. When it's time it's time. I started to enjoy riding again more and more i got back into it. Overcame my gunshyness too.

Last summer I was backtracking a new set of curves I found and this was only the 2nd time I took this road the reverse way. Went into a 15mph decreasing radious curve that looked like a 25mph curve way too hot and lowsided it when squiding out on the front brake. Gear did it's job and nothing broke off the busa though it was scraped up (thank GOD double). Dusted myself off, got the bike up and running, went home and ordered replacement parts. Soon got it looking decent again, rode for a few days to get back into the groove and went back to those curves. Went through there more cautiously forward and back but on the curve I dumped it on I went back and forth through it probably 11 times :laugh: . Thought about pulling the bike over and pissing on the curve but decided to leave before any sheriff's rolled through.

Just keep at it mon. You can overcome this! :cheerleader:

Back