How did you learn to ride???

yamaha 80,first time i rode it everybody was standing outside watching so i was nervous and dad says dont dump the clutch so what do i do?dump the clutch bike goes up my feet hit the ground and we all stood there watching it go across the field on the back wheel lol

Mom said no motorcycle while you are living at MY house!

So at 18, I moved out, and bought a used Sportster (back when they were 1000cc)  I can't even remember what year it was - guessing 72 - 74 - it was an AMF bike back then.   Took the motorcycle license test on it and passed.  Only dropped it once.  At full lean, scrapin' the highway peg, on the outside edge of a blacktop road at about 60 mph.  Right at the apex of the curve was in intersection with a gravel road.  Yep, gravel kicked up all over the black top.  Back tire started to go, stood the bike up, hard on both brakes, and rode it into the ditch.  Kicked away from it as it went airborne, slid along on my face for awhile, then on my elbow.  Bike landed in the ditch with the throttle buried in the dirt, twisted to WFO, the engine still running and the back tire spinning.  Got up, and as I ran towards the bike, I thought, "Gee, I might be in shock and be running on two broken ankles".  Dove at the kill switch, got up, not too much bleeding, found the seat over the fence about 3 rows deep in the cornfield, slightly bent forks, toe shift peg gone, rode it into town.

Sold it a couple years later after getting married and having a kid.   I swore to myself that I would get another bike someday, and each spring I would die a little when I saw the first bikes on the road.  That was 20 some years ago, and last year, I bought a brand new 04 black and purple.  I've always been a "go big or stay home" kinda guy...
After staying with my uncle, I wanted a bike too but my parents (mainly my dad) said no way. I got a bike after I joined The Army. When I rode my new Honda 360 home, my mom wanted a ride on the back. Just up to the end of the driveway and back (long dirt road). I was shocked of course
wow.gif
but she thanked me at the end and went back in the house.

I found out a few years later that mom had been a biker babe before she hooked up with dad. I found a pic of her sitting on the back of an old bike, her brother's (hmm, probably the uncle I stayed with now that I think about it) I think. She had a leather jacket and one of those captain's hats which looked like it was leather too.

Pretty cool I thought.

Carl

Ahhh girl! You don't look a DAY over 29!!!

I don't care what your mom says!

You are soooo sweet! Thanks Mark. I don't feel a day over 29 either. Age is a figment of our imagination.
blush.gif

A 1976 Honda XL100! Bought it brand new delivering news papers when I was 13. Wrecked it on the 5th day, and it was in the shop for 2 weeks getting the forks straightened.
laugh.gif

I started riding bikes late in life, I was 23 or 24 as I recall....
that's late?  I was 32 when I hoped on my busa last year.
I was 45
You are not older than 45......
Oh really? You better ask my mother about that.
tounge.gif
If you say so....I've seen a few pics of you....so I'm a bit skeptical.....

I started riding bikes late in life, I was 23 or 24 as I recall....
that's late?  I was 32 when I hoped on my busa last year.
I was 45
You are not older than 45......
Oh really? You better ask my mother about that.
tounge.gif
If you say so....I've seen a few pics of you....so I'm a bit skeptical.....
Yea dude...I've met her.

I think she's full of.......er....Poo-poo.
tounge.gif

tounge.gif

I got hooked on them in kindergarden. A friend had an older brother that rode a motorcycle to school one day. I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen and decided that I would have one some day. Fast forward about 13 years. After I turned 18 and moved out for college I finally managed to scrape up enough dough for a first vehicle. Instead of going the car route I decided to get a motorcycle instead. Took the MSF course at the college and learned to ride, then bought a '82 Nighthawk. No regrets!
biggrin.gif

Mom said no motorcycle while you are living at MY house!

So at 18, I moved out, and bought a used Sportster...
hahhaha, that's one way to show MOM who's boss.  Planning on riding home for Thanksgiving dinner with her?
It's kinda hard to take the whole family over to mom's on the bike, but yes, we are going.

I took a day off a few weeks back and rode over to see the parents - about a 110 mile ride one way. Mom gave me all kinds of grief for riding the bike, and she doesn't like that I take her grandkids on it either.

There are pics of my grandmother on the back of the Sportster, and my grandfather on the back of the Busa, (Mom's parents) but she refuses to get on it for a ride. I'm 47 so you can imagine how old grand-dad is....

My first bike I bought was a 1969 Suzuki T-250 HUSTLER. I was 13 and didnt have a license so I walked it into the woods and rode it on old fire trails. It wasnt a dirt bike so it was tricky to ride fast in sand. It was always breaking down.

Edited to say, why can't I find a nice hot young chick like Scootergirl to go ride with on my busa? I was born in 55 so I'm over the hill now.

<!--EDIT|Oldroller
Reason for Edit: None given...|1132787047 -->

A '74 CR125 elsinore gave me a lot of riding experience. Then my first road bike was a Honda cb360.

Back