How did you learn to ride.

newman

Registered
I got my first bike in the 70s, and at long as it was 250cc or under you could just put a learner plate on and away you went.
I can't remember if you had to be over 16 years old to get over a 50cc bike though.
Well my first bike was a Honda 175cc, it was all I could afford.

The guy in the shop took me round a side street, showed me the clutch first and how to change gears and then brakes.
He rode it up and down a couple of times, then I got on and rode up and down the street a few times, and that was that, I was away.

The first time I came to a main road was a bit scary, but I found it really easy to ride.
Now you have to go on a compulsory basic training course first.
I think it's a lot better now, as when you think back it's scary thinking about all those bikers riding about with no experience at all.
This was at a time when all the kids were getting 50cc Suzuki's and Yamaha's, so there was a lot of new riders about.

So how did you learn to ride, and did you have to do a test first, or was you straight on a bike and away.

When I started I didnt know anyone who owned a bike, nobody to ask any tips or anything, the only thing I knew about bikes was that the dmv had a book to take your permit so you could ride. I wanted to learn, so I study the book, got my permit and went to a dealer to buy my first bike, a 500cc Kawi (I did mention I didnt know anything about bikes, right?:laugh: ), getting off the dealers parking lot I needed to make my first turn which I made really wide :laugh: I almost ended up on a ditch :banghead: but somehow manage not to go down. Started to practice lil by lil on areas that I knew wasnt much traffic.

A lot of relatives had small motorcycles and dirt bikes as transportation back in my country.I use to take my great grandmother's Honda cub 50 and push it down the hill and then push it back up just for fun. Because, I was only 7 and wasn't allow to touch the keys. One day my dad's cousin decided to let me ride with her as a passenger. I didn't even know how to give it gas. So, she showed how, and explained me how to shift. It had a 3 speed transmission and no clutch. Then one day my cousin bought a Yamaha DT 125(or was it a 120? Not sure) and I told him I want to test ride it. He asked if I new how to ride a bike with clutch and I said: " of course". He didn't know I had learn by watching somebody. But, had never even tried it. For my surprise I was able to get going without any problems. I was only 11. After that I rode for years without even wearing gear. I touched the first helmet when I came to this country. NOw that I think about it's scary.

Started on a mates farm at 14 years old we all had 100cc scramblers or above that we bought for cheap and fixed up
It was great when i turned 16 and could LEGALLY ride on the road , just a bit of a come down only being able to have a 50cc :rulez:

I didtn no crap about a street bike and had been years since being on a dirt bike so I guess atleast I had been on 2 wheels before. went to the local kawi dealer and bought a zx11 (yea I no:whistle:) and off I went. as stated above, when I made my turn out of there parking lot you would have thought I had a 100 foot trailer behind me, took the whole dang road. Luckily no mishaps and about a month on back roads I went to take my dmv test and 8 years later here I am.

I started riding in the dirt at age 11. My parents would not let me get a street bike, so I had to wait until age 18 for that. So I had 7 years and alot of miles under my belt before I started riding on the street. Passed the test 1st try :laugh:

I started on dirt bikes when I was 10ish, rode several street bikes that friends were generous enough to let me take for a spin. Still took the msf basic course a couple years ago, the beginning was boring, but learned some good stuff.

Z50 as an 7 year old, progressed to a 80, 125, 250 dirt bikes. Started stealing my dads cb750 when I was 16. Purchased my first street bike @19, a 1985 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk-S. 27 years and 12 bikes, I have now matured as a rider to own and operate a Hayabusa.

A lot of trial and error while maintaining good common sense.

was on a busy pedestrian street going about 50mph yelling, "where the brakes, how do you turn this thing off!!"...

this was my first bike (but green) when I was about 7. I rode it for 1 summer then convinced dad to get me an XR100. I wasn't aloud to get a street bike. with in 2 weeks of me turning 18 I got my first street bike.
ar124282481572311.jpg

Like many of you I grew up in the dirt. I never owed a dirt bike, just quads and 3 wheelers. I had plenty of friends with dirt bikes and we use to swap rides all the time. It had been about 8 years since I had owned anything when I got m 1st street bike, a 2004 Yamaha V-star 1100. I had wanted a street bike for many years but with small children and a job that paid in peanuts I couldn’t justify the cost. My father has been riding bikes for almost 40 years so he showed me the ropes. Now I have the greatest bike in history!

In 2001 at the state sponsored Honda class in Georgia when it was $50.00. Now it is $250.00. Best money I have every spent!! Been on two wheels ever since.

Used to ride a friend's Honda CT70 with the auto transmission. Bought a Honda 175 Elsinore dirt bike and trashed that thoroughly. From there, getting on a streetbike was pretty straightforward. I really think learning on the dirt was the best possible way to go, no cars to hit you, trees don't move, and you learn to stand on the footpegs which I still do for rough patches in the road. I've now taught both my wife (when she was my girlfriend) and my son how to ride, plus a couple of friends over the years.

Been on dirtbikes, 3 wheelers and quads since I can remember. Bought a GS500E in 1989 from a friend and been on the street since.

first bike was the busa, learned by the MSF course and advanced course, plus we have track days and cornering clinics here all the time on base.

My brother bought his first bike in 82, a GS550ES.New off the floor.He got into a wreck, guy cut him off and he went flying.Cut his archillies tendon, got a settlment, bought 83 GS750S, bought a couple dirtbikes for him and I and then he taught me to ride.Been riding ever since.Think I was 10 when I started.I rode that 750 at 12 and was hooked on these bikes.Tried to teach my son to ride and he never really caught on.He said he liked it and rode for 3 year with me on the trails and could never keep up with me.I am going to teach my girls to ride.Looking for a pw50 for my 5 year old for christmas.

I bought a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 to learn on. kept it for a year, sold it and got the Busa. unfortunately i sold it and got another cruiser. now im looking to repeat the process.

Purchased a package of 5 lessons and a road test from a driving school which also taught riding bikes. Honda Rebel - a cool small bike.

Learned on an friends Honda Trail 70. Got a Kaw G5 100cc enduro for my 13th birthday. Traded up to a Yamaha DT175E as a sophmore in high school. Rode a friends Suzuki GS550E for about 3 months and then bought a 82 GS1100E my senior year in high school. Joined the Air Force 7 months later and sold the 1100 and hadn't ridden since 1982 until I bought my K9 last year.

Back