How did you learn to ride???

Lady Ice

Girl with a Busa
Donating Member
Registered
Just wanted to start a topic on the first time you got on a motorcycle and what happened?? I will start: The bike was a GPZ 550 and we were on a dirt trail. My husband choose the dirt just in case I fell, it might not hurt as bad. It was all good, didn't fall. After that it was the street, I rode his bike alot like to work, the corner store, etc. Sorry can't say anything funny or bad happened but let's hear some of ya stories.....

B ought a used hondsa 50ss in 1968 from a guy down the street and taught myself to ride it when my folks were gone.

Got my first Honda Mini-Trail 50 for my 6th birthday!
36 years and 26 motorcycles later.......I still learn everytime I put my leg over one!
Hope I am able to ride for another 36 years!
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|StageRulz
Reason for Edit: None given...|1132622177 -->

A girl totalled my old 83 Yamaha Maxim 400. Head on into her at 20 miles an hour cause the B!TCH couldn't pay attention to the damn road.
mad.gif
Now my knee is screwed up and I didn't sue, so I'm broke with a bad knee. I was a MORON.......
Ask GMbusa, it looked like a pretty nasty wreck.
sad.gif

A girl totalled my old 83 Yamaha Maxim 400. Head on into her at 20 miles an hour cause the B!TCH couldn't pay attention to the damn road.
mad.gif
 Now my knee is screwed up and I didn't sue, so I'm broke with a bad knee. I was a MORON.......
Ask GMbusa, it looked like a pretty nasty wreck.
sad.gif
That was my experience with my first bike...... had it 3 months.

Some of those bikes are dirt bikes, I guess going from a dirt bike to a motorcycle is easy,huh...

Old mini-bike with a 5 horse Tecumsah engine, and torque converter setup. Watched my neighbor dump it and go to hospital. Rode my buddies Chibie 50ccfor a while. Got a Kawa 100cc for Christmas one year 11 years old ? Watched my sister dump it Christmas morning and pretzelize the handlebars.
After that was fixed, I dumped it... Often.
sad.gif
I was on a learning curve. I found that stuff you work for, you treat better. Rode/owned many dirt bikes and one other street bike.
Haven't been down on asphalt, not planning on it, but try to always be prepared for it.
smile.gif

Sears & Sawbuck 4 hp mini-bike (with no brakes) @ age 12. Rode friends Honda 125 trials bike a lot from 14 to 15 yrs old.
The day I turned 16, bought a CB750. Put a ton of miles on it. Have had numerous rides since then...never without a streetbike for 28 yrs.

Speaking of never been down on asphalt..Who here believes in Murphy's law..??..Cause I have been told that many times..

started on a rupp 5hp mini bike ,went through alot of bikes wish i had kept some of them.still have 2 kawa triples a hurricane 1000 and the busa

####........When I was little, I ran into everything! And sometimes went down for No reason........It's part of being young and Dumb with a Motor!
blush.gif

laugh.gif
Yeah, had hubby on the back holding on to belt loops and decided to launch at the light but instead dumped the clutch and wheelied. He fell off almost taking my pants with him,lol...

I got a ride on a BSA 750 from a freinds older brother when I was 5, he took me up to about 80 mph and I was hooked.
I cried to my parents till I was 6 and recieved a Rupp Bandit mini-bike.
2 and a half Hp Briggs and Stratton, centrificul clutch and scrub brake out back.
No suspension it was a hard tail, so there is no wonder I went the sport bike route Vs. less comfortable bikes.
Been riding ever since.

Old mini-bike with a 5 horse Tecumsah engine, and torque converter setup. Watched my neighbor dump it and go to hospital. Rode my buddies Chibie 50ccfor a while. Got a Kawa 100cc for Christmas one year 11 years old ? Watched my sister dump it Christmas morning and pretzelize the handlebars.
sad.gif
I was on a learning curve. I found that stuff you work for, you treat better. Rode/owned many dirt bikes and one other street bike.
Haven't been down on asphalt, not planning on it, but try to always be prepared for it.
smile.gif
Knock on wood bro....not good "carma"

Lady ice...this is MY opinion;

There are only 2 kinds of riders...those who have fallen, and those who will.

Wear your gear, and always be prepared.

I forgot about the first street bike I rode. I think it was a 750cc something and I was about 14. Sister's boyfriend's ride. Yeah, I can handle that pos cruiser type bike.
cool.gif

Went out on lawn at about 15mph, grabbed a fistful of front brake
wow.gif
. Got off of ground with a faceful of grass, and my pride in my pocket!!
laugh.gif

No damage to bike, just a bruised ego on me.

sad.gif
smile.gif
Knock on wood bro....not good "carma"

Lady ice...this is MY opinion;

There are only 2 kinds of riders...those who have fallen, and those who will.

Wear your gear, and always be prepared.
+1

I spent a few hours borrowing a buddies ZX-7 to make sure I would be cool with riding then went and bought a Busa. lol

Yamy during the MSF course, then straight to my brand spanking new Busa from CalCoast Motorsports in Ventura CA. Dropped it right there in the parking lot while I was taking deliver. Dropped it 4 more times that same night at my buddy's house and in the back neighborhood of his house trying to get used to it. My nephew dropped it on the throttle side by accident when he was sitting on it after 3 beers to get a "feel" for it.

Last drop was about 1 week laters on a incline right turn trying to get back on the 101 fwy South bound back to my buddy's place where I kept it for nearly 3 weeks.

That was back in April of 2004, nearly 20600 miles ago.... had MANY close calls (knock on wood) but no more mishaps since then. Splitting lanes like the pyschotic bunny I have strapped on my backpack since then. Saw a couple of CHPs while doing that, 1 on a bike, but they didn't chase me. Luck Stars, thank you.

Honda 250cc I think it was. Friend of mine had it and I rode it a few times to learn. Bought my own Suzuki Katana 600 after that. Nothing dramatic to report.

Back