Help with Rostra Cruise Control! Captain, TwoTonevert, Sous, Anyone!

in noraml mode, not diag

Ign on > no led
ign on + brake > no led
ign on, cruise on +brake > no led
Okay, thank you again! Just to be clear; when you apply your brake with the system on, you get no LED at all? Mine gives a quick flash and then goes out every time I apply the brake.

Okay, thank you again! Just to be clear; when you apply your brake with the system on, you get no LED at all? Mine gives a quick flash and then goes out every time I apply the brake.

Correct, ign on, cruise On or OFF +brake no led, not even a flicker.
Check that with the relay, you don't have +12v going into the unit when you hit the brake.

relay should be:

85 to brake light wire
86 ground
30 ground
87a to rostra unit

It's sitting at N/C.
When you tap the brakes, +12v is applied to 85 which engages the coil and removes the ground on 87a going to the rostra unit

Correct, ign on, cruise On or OFF +brake no led, not even a flicker.
Check that with the relay, you don't have +12v going into the unit when you hit the brake.

Thank you! Does your switch have the ENGAGED LED? If so, do you have it connected; and how?

Even with the relay unplugged I still get the LED flicker when I apply the brake, with the control pad ON. Putting the violet wire to ground has no effect, nor does taking it off. It's like the system doesn't even know it's there. If you don't mind can you please tell me where you have your brown 10amp fuse wire connected, and your 4amp fuse positive brake wire connected?

Last edited:
relay should be:

85 to brake light wire
86 ground
30 ground
87a to rostra unit

It's sitting at N/C.
When you tap the brakes, +12v is applied to 85 which engages the coil and removes the ground on 87a going to the rostra unit

This is how the Rostra manual says to wire it; correct? I had it wired this way earlier and it didn't work.

Thank you! Does your switch have the ENGAGED LED? If so, do you have it connected; and how?

Even with the relay unplugged I still get the LED flicker when I apply the brake, with the control pad ON. Putting the violet wire to ground has no effect, nor does taking it off. It's like the system doesn't even know it's there. If you don't mind can you please tell me where you have your brown 10amp fuse wire connected, and your 4amp fuse positive brake wire connected?

Ahh, you now have reached the odd part..
I have a custom built, microprocessor controlled, programmable switch assy.

From the past ones i have installed though, the orange wire, floats above ground when the cruise is off and goes to ground when the cruise is engaged. But the controller is expecting +12v on the input for the engaged led.. (Rostra really made a mess of this part..)
Hence why you need the relay to control the engaged led. You don't have to use it if you don't want as it won't effect the operation of testing.

But to use the engaged led, you need to work the relay to drive +12V up into the control box.
I can find my notes later if you need.. Let me know

Ahh, you now have reached the odd part..
I have a custom built, microprocessor controlled, programmable switch assy.

From the past ones i have installed though, the orange wire, floats above ground when the cruise is off and goes to ground when the cruise is engaged. But the controller is expecting +12v on the input for the engaged led.. (Rostra really made a mess of this part..)
Hence why you need the relay to control the engaged led. You don't have to use it if you don't want as it won't effect the operation of testing.

But to use the engaged led, you need to work the relay to drive +12V up into the control box.
I can find my notes later if you need.. Let me know
If I wire in the ENGAGED LED, I will need two relays; correct? One for the LED and one for the LED brake lights? If I don’t use the ENGAGED LED, I only need one relay for the LED brake lights?

This is how the Rostra manual says to wire it; correct? I had it wired this way earlier and it didn't work.

Correct. This is how I have mine hooked up.
If I wire in the ENGAGED LED, I will need two relays; correct? One for the LED and one for the LED brake lights? If I don’t use the ENGAGED LED, I only need one relay for the LED brake lights?
Correct... If you do the engage light you will need 2 relays.
If you ignore the engage light you need 1 for brakes only

I have the brown wire fed from a relay that's wired directly to the battery thats switched by the tali lights. So it goes hot when the ignition is switched on. I don't have the red wire anymore on this build.. Sorry

But I think the red wire just needs a +12v source also - nothing special

I have the brown wire fed from a relay that's wired directly to the battery thats switched by the tali lights. So it goes hot when the ignition is switched on. I don't have the red wire anymore on this build.. Sorry

But I think the red wire just needs a +12v source also - nothing special

Okay, that's pretty much how my brown wire and red wire is connected, at the tail light switch.
So here is where I am at now: I've added a 2nd relay and now have one for the ENGAGE LED and one for the LED brake lights. I was careful to connect the wires from both relays EXACTLY how the Rostra manual instructs. When I turn the control pad on, I hear a click at the ENGAGED LED relay. When I apply the brake and let go, the ENGAGED LED on the control pad lights up for a second and then shuts off. It still will not go into diag. mode, and the red LED inside the servo still flashes once quickly when I apply the brake. I'm pretty sure the ENGAGED LED isn't supposed to flash every time I apply the brakes.

Okay, that's pretty much how my brown wire and red wire is connected, at the tail light switch.
So here is where I am at now: I've added a 2nd relay and now have one for the ENGAGE LED and one for the LED brake lights. I was careful to connect the wires from both relays EXACTLY how the Rostra manual instructs. When I turn the control pad on, I hear a click at the ENGAGED LED relay. When I apply the brake and let go, the ENGAGED LED on the control pad lights up for a second and then shuts off. It still will not go into diag. mode, and the red LED inside the servo still flashes once quickly when I apply the brake. I'm pretty sure the ENGAGED LED isn't supposed to flash every time I apply the brakes.

Just for testing, take the brown from the unit and the red from the controller and do a temp connection to the battery, or a spare battery if you have one.

Can also try unplugging the control pad and do a manual connection. Make sure it's got a good ground, (actually make sure both units have good ground) then I think it's the pink wire from the controller, if you give it +12v the engaged led should light up.

Okay, so I'm embarrassed!! I had the brown wire connected to the brake switch cold side, instead of a constant 12V source, I honestly thought I did!! It wasn't seeing voltage until I applied the brakes, that's why the ENGAGED LED was coming on when I applied the brakes. I connected it to the tail light switch (for sure this time), and viola, I'm in diag. mode!!! The LED inside the servo responds to all buttons and brake pulls, and it flashes with wheel spin indicating it sees the VSS!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL THE HELP!!!

UPDATE: I did an on road test and the cruise control works!! My only issue is that it doesn't seem to want to engage until around 35MPH, my Audiovox CCS100 would engage around 25MPH. I'm not sure if this is because of my dip switch settings, or if I may have too much slack in the servo cable. Does anyone know if the dip switches for the Audiovox CCS100 and the Rostra's dip switches perform the same? If so, I may try setting them how Sous did in his tutorial. I only tested it in 3rd and 4th gear; it also RESUMES speed a little slow too. Comparing it to my scooter, that has the same Rostra system, the scooter's system responds much faster.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I did an on road test and the cruise control works!! My only issue is that it doesn't seem to want to engage until around 35MPH, my Audiovox CCS100 would engage around 25MPH. I'm not sure if this is because of my dip switch settings, or if I may have too much slack in the servo cable. Does anyone know if the dip switches for the Audiovox CCS100 and the Rostra's dip switches perform the same? If so, I may try setting them how Sous did in his tutorial. I only tested it in 3rd and 4th gear; it also RESUMES speed a little slow too. Comparing it to my scooter, that has the same Rostra system, the scooter's system responds much faster.View attachment 1617583
to much slack in cable makes for slow response .

to much slack in cable makes for slow response .
Sounds like the speed sensor is off. I seem to remember that you have to play with the dip switches to get it to read the speed sensor correctly. There are also dip switch settings for how fast it takes up. The settings posted here did not work, I had to play with them.

Back