Help with Rostra Cruise Control! Captain, TwoTonevert, Sous, Anyone!

PADEROLIS

Registered
Good morning all! I've installed a Rostra unit in my 2008 and am having trouble getting it to work. I've installed the Audiovox CCS100 in the past and it worked great, I used the tutorial provided by Sous, and it went well! I also installed a Rostra unit in my Suzuki Burgman 650 scooter, and it's working great in that! I followed the tutorial pro vided by the threads between Sous, and the one from Captain and TwoTonevert. I wired everything as instructed, the only thing that is not wired in is the ENGAGED LED, but that is an option and not required. The Rostra on my scooter functions without it. The Rostra on the Busa is getting power, and the violet wire is showing 12 volts when the brake lever is pulled or pressed. When I go into diagnostic mode, the red LED inside the servo does not respond when I push the buttons on the control pad.
The only indication I get that the LED is working is that it does a quick flash when I apply the brakes, as long as the control panel is ON. I've triple checked my wiring and my dip switch settings, I'm hoping the problem is still something I may have missed, and I didn't just receive a defective unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!! BTW, I took it for a test run and it indeed will not ENGAGE.

Have you seen it pic up speed sensor in the led diagnostics?

No I have not, the only indication that I get that the LED inside the servo is working, is when I apply the brakes. It will flash once rapidly each time I pull the lever or press down on the foot brake; this is when the control pad is on, there is no LED light when the control pad is off. I tested voltage at the switch and the buttons respond when I press them. They show 12V when I hold them down and 0V when I do not. The violet wire shows 0V at rest, and 12V when I apply the brakes. To activate diagnosis mode, I turn on the key but do not start the engine, I hold down the R/A button while pressing and releasing the ON button. The unit should be in diagnosis mode, but the red LED inside the servo does not light up when I push the buttons.

Are you using a relay to take the brake to ground ? As led brake lights will not function properly for the system

My control pad has the ENGAGED LED, I noticed the control pads you guys have do not. My unit came with a 5 prong relay to wire in the ENGAGED LED light, but I don't have it wired in. I have my relay wired exactly how Sous instructed in his tutorial, I realize this was for a Audiovox CCS100 vacuum assisted model. The wiring for the Rostra should be the same; correct?

RELAY WIRING: 30- Violet wire from Rostra unit
87A- Ground to battery
87- 12V at battery
86- Ground to battery
85- Brake Switch (white with black tracer)

I need a wiring schematic for that unit. Are you sure you got the RPM wire connected properly? And the VSS wire connected properly? That should indicate to the unit what speed you are at and where to hold when engaged. My concern is you have not been able to access diagnostic mode, has to be a connection somewhere. Electric Rostra Cruise Control | Gen II Busa Information

Yes, I connected the blue TACH wire from the Rostra unit at the #1 coil as instructed (not the gray wire). I connected the gray VSS wire from the Rostra unit to the VSS wire on the bike, the pink wire shown in the thread you provided above.

Are you using a relay to take the brake to ground ? As led brake lights will not function properly for the system

I'm using the relay that came with my kit, but this is to wire in the ENGAGED LED that my control pad has. I didn't connect the ENGAGED LED and just used that relay to wire it like Sous's tutorial. Do you think I may need a different or 2nd relay for the LED brake lights? I also notice that the wiring for LED brake lights is different in the Rostra manual, than what Sous's tutorial instructs. Is the relay wiring the same for the CCS100 unit and the Rostra unit?

Okay, let me pull out the archives of the notes... I think the problem is the ground, you will need to have a relay for the ground since the 08 run LED......

Incase needed

20200424_163827.jpg

I've read they don't offer assistance if you are installing it on a motorcycle. I guess I can call and find out for sure. Thanks!

Just an FYI: I've rewired the relay how it is instructed in the Rostra manual for LED brake lights, and I'm still getting the same results. The actual relay that came with the kit had a rattling noise when I shook it, so I replaced it with a new one. I think the red LED inside the servo is supposed to stay on solid when I apply the brakes, but it just flashes once and turns off until I release the brake and apply it again. Does this indicate that my brake signal is not grounded?

Last edited:
Back