Help (I have a hunch its the fuel pump)

Does the pump make noise. Just listen over the gas cap, if you hear it over the motor the pump is shot.

bingo bingo!!

Yeah, it has definitely gotten louder, to the point that I can hear it over the running motor.

So I guess I should check the pressure its putting out, right? Just to verify?

And should I just buy an OEM pump, or an aftermarket one?

so can anyone confirm if I was actually looking at the secondary throttle valves? and whether or not they are supposed to cycle when the key is turned on?

so can anyone confirm if I was actually looking at the secondary throttle valves? and whether or not they are supposed to cycle when the key is turned on?

Yes the top blades are the secondary throttle valves. From what you described in your post. They seem to working correctly.

cool. thanks.

So I think its obvious what the problem here is. Time to start saving and searching...

thanks again for all the help, guys.

Funny that you should have this problem. I had the EXACT same thing happen to my 08 last year. I would start loosing power at around 4k and then I would rev it with the clutch in and it would be ok for a few and then start to loose power again. It eventually got so bad that the bike wouldn't go over 60 mph and at full throttle it would die. I changed the plugs and changed the TPS sensor without any luck. I then changed the fuel pump and it worked perfectly. Then it started acting up again. I started to hammer on the throttle and it seemed to clear itself up. I have a new in the box fuel pump if you need it. Let me know! Feel free to call me too if you want (978) 760-1520
-Mark

I hope we are all calling suzuki and telling them about the pumps going bad. They will do nothing if we don't call. I called and they gave me a case file number.

Funny that you should have this problem. I had the EXACT same thing happen to my 08 last year. I would start loosing power at around 4k and then I would rev it with the clutch in and it would be ok for a few and then start to loose power again. It eventually got so bad that the bike wouldn't go over 60 mph and at full throttle it would die. I changed the plugs and changed the TPS sensor without any luck. I then changed the fuel pump and it worked perfectly. Then it started acting up again. I started to hammer on the throttle and it seemed to clear itself up. I have a new in the box fuel pump if you need it. Let me know! Feel free to call me too if you want (978) 760-1520
-Mark

How much would you want for it?

So I got the new pump installed today... Was surprised how easy it was... Easier than changing the oil... Took me about an hour, but I do everything slow when working on the bike. Anyone who knew what they were doing could probably do it in 15 mins... Hardest part was unclipping the damn electrical connector (why do they make them so hard to get apart?!)

After riding it, I must say... I GOT MY BABY BACK!!! She no longer has the sniffles, and is back to rippin harder than ever!

What was supposed to be a short jaunt on the freeway to see if she's back to normal turned into a half hour of getting on and off the freeway so I could keep blasting down the on-ramps :laugh:

I think people must've heard me coming from two miles away... Not just cus of the alienhead, but because of me hootin an hollerin at the top of my lungs, yelling out joyous explitives.

My throat is kinda sore... might it have anything to do with flying down the road at 100+ yelling out "YEAAAHHHH BUDDDYYYYY!!!"

Big thanks to all the helpfull people in this thread that offered their advice and suggestions, and a bigger thanks to illuminati for hookin me up with a fuel pump!

You did really good for a newbie,i wonder how long it would have taken me?Im in HVAC ,and a pretty good mechanic but 2 diff. worlds.:beerchug:

Glad to hear that you go her back in tip top condition. Was reading each post hoping for the happy ending. Good stuff

Back