Fuel pump going bad??

IRDEATH

Registered
i can hear a high pitched electrical like noise coming from the fuel tank,just noticed it like 3 days ago. My bike is an 08 with 34,000 miles. I havn't noticed any performance or throttle response loss, does this noise mean my fuel pump is ready to die?
thanks for all the input!

I found this thread searching for exactly the same thing. Its not just when you first turn the key, right? But while actually running? I heard that on mine today, an 08 with almost 13k on it. I heard the whistling/humming/high pitched buzzing kinda sound coming from the same area, and it stayed on while the engine was running. I decided to ride home and check it out later, and by the time I got halfway home, it had stopped. Not sure what to think...

I replaced the OE fuel pump on my k8 at around 25k miles. idk the exact mileage my pump started screaming but I know I rode it for at least the majority of a year before it actually started affecting performance on the top end. Sounds kinda like the priming that occurs before pressing the starter button except it will be cutting in and out while the engine is running. Check motorcycleparts2u for an oe replacement with close to 0miles on it. Bought mine from them with a new chain and sprocket. Great prices!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

I found this thread searching for exactly the same thing. Its not just when you first turn the key, right? But while actually running? I heard that on mine today, an 08 with almost 13k on it. I heard the whistling/humming/high pitched buzzing kinda sound coming from the same area, and it stayed on while the engine was running. I decided to ride home and check it out later, and by the time I got halfway home, it had stopped. Not sure what to think...

it does it while it is running, and seems to "go away" when i fill up the tank but when it gets below half a tank it seems like i start to hear the noise. Some days it makes the noise others it doesnt.

when was the last time that you cleaned the filter?

I had the fuel pump out at around 20K miles for a paint job and didnt think anything about checking/cleaning the filter until i had the bike put back together. I should pull it back out and take a look at the filter, might do it tomorrow because in about a month i have a 2200 mile trip planned from north carolina to arizona and thats the last thing I need to worry about. i'll change/clean filter and see if that helps and if not just buy another one to be on the safe side for my trip.

If your gonna buy new upgrade it fom stock..

How much is a oem pump nowadays?

Priced fuel pump at dealer and it is $700.00. You can get a brand new oem on ebay for $437.00, or a good used one for $100-250. That's what I did, got one off a 09 wrecked with 700 miles on it.:whistle:

The pump will be easier heard running with half the gas in the tank.

Look in your manual and follow the testing procedures for your pump, if I recall you should be able to check voltages and resistance.

When the bike is running the pump is running and it does make a whinning noise.

Scott

Out of curiousity, did either of you get the electrical recall done? Maybe incorrect voltage fries the pumps...

Does anyone have a part number for the Bosch pump? Or know which auto it was an original fitment for? I called my local VW/Audio dealer and got nowhere. Thanks, Ziggy

Back