Helmets

Spkrdctr

Registered
I read a review but now I can't remember which helmet it was. They said it was the quietest helmet they ever tested. If anyone remembers this can you let me know? I have to buy a new helmet as my HJC CL-15 doesn't fit anymore, is VERY loud and the front lens lets enough air through to darn near fly! I'd like a VERY quiet, very good sealing shield helmet that I can adjust with either inside optional padding or an air system. That way if my head size changes a little bit from wieght loss, I can still have a very nice fit. Thanks for the help!

Edited to add: Don't forget I ride a BKing. So I get a massive blast of air hitting the helmet at 100mph. That is why I want to buy the best I can get in a "no leak" shield and very quiet. A 100mph wind blast is LOUD in that HJC. Louder than my two brothers slip ons!

Don't buy a scorpion! Make sure it has the chin skirt, helps a lot

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Schuberth S1 is supposed to be the quietest out there. Of course they are hard to get in the US. Another one to look at is the Shoei Qwest, it is supposed to be very quiet as well.

I use a very cheap and easy mod that will make any helmet THE quietest: ear plugs :) (seriously, I never ride without em).

I read a review but now I can't remember which helmet it was. They said it was the quietest helmet they ever tested. If anyone remembers this can you let me know? I have to buy a new helmet as my HJC CL-15 doesn't fit anymore, is VERY loud and the front lens lets enough air through to darn near fly! I'd like a VERY quiet, very good sealing shield helmet that I can adjust with either inside optional padding or an air system. That way if my head size changes a little bit from wieght loss, I can still have a very nice fit. Thanks for the help!

Edited to add: Don't forget I ride a BKing. So I get a massive blast of air hitting the helmet at 100mph. That is why I want to buy the best I can get in a "no leak" shield and very quiet. A 100mph wind blast is LOUD in that HJC. Louder than my two brothers slip ons!

I have a CL-15 along with a couple of older and newer model Shoei and Arai helmets (I prefer Arai based on fitment to my head). Just about anything you get in the upper tier of helmets will be worlds quieter than what you are wearing. The CL-15 is loud with turbulence and so is every other HJC that I have ever worn.

I have heard great things about the Nexx XR-1 Carbon. They claim to be super quiet and they are definately super light.

I use a very cheap and easy mod that will make any helmet THE quietest: ear plugs :) (seriously, I never ride without em).

I agree on the earplugs , James talked me in to using th this last week and they make all the difference

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Ear plugs were one of those things I didn't start out with but now I rarely ride w/o them.

Besides protecting my hearing I also noticed I was able to put alot more focus into my riding.

Cut-and-pasted (quotes below paraphrased for brevity) from an article @ webbikeworld: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/helmet-noise.htm

The perception of noise and the individual owner's tolerance for noise levels varies greatly.
Riding a motorcycle is a very noisy endeavor. The noise that is generated is always loud enough to be dangerous to human health and can easily cause permanent hearing damage.
There's no getting around the fact that motorcycle riding creates high noise levels. There is no such thing as a quiet helmet, period.
Based on many years of evaluating dozens of different motorcycle helmet of all types and talking to experts in the field that there are basically only two types of motorcycle helmets: loud and louder.

Another vote for ear plugs.
If you get a helmet quiet enough to block out all wind noise, your going to suffocate in it. Venting = noise. Arai for example are very noisey, but have some of the best venting in the business.
Start using ear plugs and you'll very soon wonder how you ever rode without them. They block out the wind noise and leave everything else, bike sounds, surrounding (car in your blind spot) sounds, all the good stuff and none of the bad.
Check around for an industrial supply place in your area, you can get a box of 200 pairs of the foam plugs for usually less than $25.

I ride with 30db ear plugs all the time. The wind noise from the helmet overwhelms the plugs. They also block out the exhaust noise which is considerable as the Two Brothers are not quiet at all! The shield leaks so much air at 100mph when I turn my head it puts a blast of air on my eyeball rendering that eye useless till I look forward. Can't check traffic at 100......:banghead:.

Another vote for ear plugs.
If you get a helmet quiet enough to block out all wind noise, your going to suffocate in it. Venting = noise. Arai for example are very noisey, but have some of the best venting in the business.
Start using ear plugs and you'll very soon wonder how you ever rode without them. They block out the wind noise and leave everything else, bike sounds, surrounding (car in your blind spot) sounds, all the good stuff and none of the bad.
Check around for an industrial supply place in your area, you can get a box of 200 pairs of the foam plugs for usually less than $25.

Foam Ear Plugs Uncorded - Boxes and Cases For Our Best Pricing! - Ear Plugs
:thumbsup:

Back