HJC Helmets

shenoyp

Hayabusa Master Jedi
Donating Member
Registered
HI,

I have a Arai X-11 helmet that I'm really comfy with. Nevertheless i bought a HJC SY-MAX Modular Touring Street Helmet.... One of those impulsive online buys
smile.gif

How good are these helmets? Any user reviews.... Goog?! Bad?! or did i just loose some money
smile.gif

smile.gif

I wear a SUOMY helmet. It was around $500.00 but I found it cheaper off the internet. HJC is only an $80.00 dollar helmet. If you compare the HJC to the SUOMY or SHOEI you'll know what the difference is. IT'll probably save your Head! My helmet has so much cushion in it that it looks like a couch in there. It fits well and snug. Most important.....no air comes in and I dont even need ear plugs!
Arai is a very good helmet also.

I wear the the HJC CL-14~ Looks good and I don't mind wearing ear plugs~ It's
comfy enough and will keep my skull in tack should I ever fall down~ That's all that
matters to me...
cool.gif

Overall..how a helmet is rated is the main thing to look for when your shoppin' inexpensive helmets. Weight, comfort, and aerodynamics will come when you start spending some cash.
wink.gif

I have a cl-14 as well, it may not be the best helmet made but seems to fit my punkin' good. The only complaint I have is with the shield, make sure your in a good mood before trying to change it. Sticking your tounge out and to the left seems to help. I was thinking about the Icon "Scorpion" next, local guy can get me one for around $240.

If it fits your head correctly and is SNELL approved it will protect you just as good as any of the expensive fashion statement helmets on the market.
As far as being modular...I don't think any of those are SNELL approved yet?

I've got a really old HJC FG9 that still looks and fits great after 12 years. I mainly use it for snowmobiling now since I sold the bike that matched its color...love the fact that HJC provides optional heated face shields for most of their helmets.

Only complaint I've had with HJC is they don't typically offer the best ventilation compared to most other brands.

My wife and I both bought Symax hats last fall. I'm still trying to get used to full face as I've always had open face hats.
I do not like the restricted peripheral vision but I think all full face hats are the same.
They are a little too drafty in cold weather.
I find mine fairly quiet.
I do love the breakaway design.
I bought mine real snug and I'm glad I did. It broke in to be just right.
Very handy for eyeglass/sunglass wearers.
Easy to get on and off.
Great hat for any claustrophic sufferers!

I've also got the HJC CL-14. I like it. It's a little loud and fogs up on cool mornings but the ratchet mechanism holds it one click open fine to defog it. Not real heavy either. As far as changing the shield, it takes a few times. Especially if you run with the dark smoke shield. You can't see through it good to line it up to get it in place. I like it though.

Helmets are like condoms for your skull - they only are good for one use and then you are done with them.  A helmet that has tasted pavement is about as wortheless as a used proflactic.  

Like Condoms, you can pay extra for all sorts of doodads, materials, etc - and those extras can make a world of difference!  At the end of the day though, neither one is jugded by the extra doodads NEARLY as much as "did it do what I bought it for?"

DOT and SNELL are the important part - aside from that, go with what you like.  It is a good idea though to have an extra or two laying around for guests, friends, etc.

SOme advice for ya...

1.) You get what you pay for.

2.) If that is the helmet with the flip chin bar....those tend not to be as good all around (safety, noise, comfort, etc..) than regular helmets.

4.) Most importantly.....TOP end HJC helmets are not as good as the better brands (shoei, aria, suomy, etc..) but TOP end HJC may be good enough for non stunters/racers.... as for LOW end HJC.... well just go here and all will be relvealed...

<!--EDIT|jay21112
Reason for Edit: None given...|1105833493 -->

i have an HJC flat gunmetal color with the smiley face in the back. Its loud, fogs, and is heavy but hey i didnt have to finance it. Yeah it doesnt have all the bells and whistles but it does have the little sneel DOT sticker on teh back and thats all that matters.

Thanx for all the views guys
smile.gif
...It will keep my head safe & its DOT approved... so looks like I didnt loose my money after all
biggrin.gif

Back