HJC Helmets

You do get what you pay for...
I guess that makes Harleys the best bikes in the world?
tounge.gif
Lol... Well, maybe they're second to MV Agusta's? Those things have an MSRP higher than what I owe on my house!
eek2.gif

I also have the gunmetal hjc with the smiley face and I'm ready to get something better . I figure if I can spend 11 grand on a nice bike I can spend another 5- 6 hundred on a nice Lid to wear with it. Concussion .....Dain Bramage, the choice is yours.

Nobody here can say you're guaranteed a head injury if you put an HJC to the test by wrecking your bike. I own two CL-14 models, one to leave at home and one to leave at school (local Kawi dealer has them and I got them at cost, so I figured I'd have a spare). My parents wrecked this past fall and were both sporting HJC helmets.....they hit hard, very hard....helmets were banged up, but neither received a bit of a head injury (still fighting with other injuries, however). The helmets are obviously thrown out now, but they did their job, and my parents aren't vegetables in a hospital bed because of it.

I wear a SUOMY helmet. It was around $500.00 but I found it cheaper off the internet.  HJC is only an $80.00 dollar helmet.  If you compare the HJC to the SUOMY or SHOEI you'll know what the difference is. IT'll probably save your Head! My helmet has so much cushion in it that it looks like a couch in there. It fits well and snug. Most important.....no air comes in and I dont even need ear plugs!
Arai is a very good helmet also.
You also have that cool cat face in the face shield.

Nobody here can say you're guaranteed a head injury if you put an HJC to the test by wrecking your bike.  I own two CL-14 models, one to leave at home and one to leave at school (local Kawi dealer has them and I got them at cost, so I figured I'd have a spare).  My parents wrecked this past fall and were both sporting HJC helmets.....they hit hard, very hard....helmets were banged up, but neither received a bit of a head injury (still fighting with other injuries, however).  The helmets are obviously thrown out now, but they did their job, and my parents aren't vegetables in a hospital bed because of it.
Sorry to hear about your parents, but glad to hear they were wearing helmets which most likely saved them serious injury or possibly their lives.

Sounds odd, but I've noticed more and more older folks not wearing helmets. Maybe those big hardleys and oldwings give a sense of security? On the other hand I notice the majority of young sportbike and ST riders DO wear helmets around here, even the ones that choose shorts, sandles and no shirt.

I see you're from Lafayette...only about an hour south of me. I like that particular Hooters and often ride out there for lunch. Do they sponser a "bike night" every week? I never noticed it mentioned on their calander. My local Hooters has one every Wednesday, but being in the "region" it's 99% hardley.

jay21112, is that reflecting in the mirrored visor sitting in front of you computer naked? ? EEWWWW!!
biggrin.gif

Here's my idiot's perspective: FATE is a funny deal. There is not helmet that I am aware of that will NEVER break on an impact. Some may be better than others, true. But that is instantly negated when fate steps up and says "I can split ANY helmet" You might have a super cheap one, wreck and not even crack it. Big deal. You might have a really expensive one, wreck and shatter it in five parts. Big deal. They are all designed to protect from ONE impact, collapse/sompress the inner foam ONCE, then you need to replace it because it won't properly protect the next time with compressed foam. Price gets you more bells and whistles, but fate determines your outcome. I've had two cheapo's, a pricey Arai, and a medium one. The Arai bothered me the most, but not because it wasn't comfy, but because I expected more... more quiet, more lasting of the padding, better areodynamics and it failed all three. I tried a friend of mine's $200 HJC and it was so much better in many ways. I'm down to Shoei and HJC for my choices and I think HJC is edging ahead. Both are DOT&SNELL approved. HJC is half the price, equal or better comfort. A Mercedes and a VW Bug both have 4 wheels and get you from point A to point B, but a bug saves money and uses less gas. I don't know what that means, but it sounded good.

I wear the HJC CS-12, and owned another HJC before that for my previous bike. Never had to wonder how it would perform under a crash, hopefully I never have to. But, however, it didn't cost a whole lot, somewhere around $100-200, and I do like that it doesn't weight a whole lot. But, to each his own. As long as you're wearing one, SNELL and DOT approved, hopefully everyone will be ok.

jay21112, is that reflecting in the mirrored visor sitting in front of you computer naked? ?   EEWWWW!!    
biggrin.gif
wow.gif
OMG your right! It looks like I'm happy too! I'm editing the post right now and taking that pic off!!
blush.gif

Stop getting all excited you weirdo.
tounge.gif

It is me in the reflection, I just wasn't wearing a shirt at the time (I was wearing pants though! geesh, come on now!) I know that the way the weather looks right now, it seems like it would never be hot enough in New England to walk around without a shirt on, but a few months during the year you can get away with it.

Nobody here can say you're guaranteed a head injury if you put an HJC to the test by wrecking your bike.  I own two CL-14 models, one to leave at home and one to leave at school (local Kawi dealer has them and I got them at cost, so I figured I'd have a spare).  My parents wrecked this past fall and were both sporting HJC helmets.....they hit hard, very hard....helmets were banged up, but neither received a bit of a head injury (still fighting with other injuries, however).  The helmets are obviously thrown out now, but they did their job, and my parents aren't vegetables in a hospital bed because of it.
Sorry to hear about your parents, but glad to hear they were wearing helmets which most likely saved them serious injury or possibly their lives.

Sounds odd, but I've noticed more and more older folks not wearing helmets.  Maybe those big hardleys and oldwings give a sense of security?  On the other hand I notice the majority of young sportbike and ST riders DO wear helmets around here, even the ones that choose shorts, sandles and no shirt.

I see you're from Lafayette...only about an hour south of me.  I like that particular Hooters and often ride out there for lunch.  Do they sponser a "bike night" every week?  I never noticed it mentioned on their calander.  My local Hooters has one every Wednesday, but being in the "region" it's 99% hardley.
Thanks. Yeah, parents are lucky....my father has rode bikes off and on all his life....he would never go without a helmet, and never let his kids go without one either.
My parents were on their bike (Kawasaki Concours, yeah....old folk bike, but my father has had spine injuries and cruisers weren't comfortable to him....tucking legs up was the most enjoyable, and he has far different taste from me and my Busa). They were riding and hit a set of train tracks at low speed, about a 8-10 inch gap on all sides of tracks, grabbed the wheel and pulled it off to the side and made an awful mess (they were the 4th wreck at these tracks within 2 months). Luckily, they are, for the most part, okay, and things will work out as best as possible.

About Lafayette....hell yeah, I go to Purdue....I always have my bike here in the decent weather. My friends and I hit up the Hooters often....they don't have a bike night that I know of, but who cares, I'm always up for meeting fellow Busa owners. If you're ever down my way, PM me and we could meet up for a ride and a meal.

I got my helmet... It feels quite comfertable
smile.gif

It does not have the finish of a shoei x-11, but
nevertheless ... I like it. The chin lift looks cool
cool.gif

I had an HJC and I liked it. It protected my noggin just fine when I went down. I now have the Shoei RF 900 and it is a lot more quiet, but I'd have no issues wearing an HJC again.

I've got 3 different HGC helmets which i love. They seem to suit my headshape better than others I have tried (I have an Arai QF which I hate). Over this side of the pond we pay around £150 Sterling (around $250) so they aint exactly cheap - the Arai cost £400 ($750ish). I had a bad 'off' from my previous bike (Blackbird) a couple of years ago ad the only bit of me that wasnt injured was my head, although the HJC helmet was trashed.

The major difference in HJC, SHOEI, SUOMY, ARAI is comfort and quietness bro. As for safety as long as it's DOT certified it's DOT certified. So a shoei ain't goin protect ya noggin any more than an HJC. I have a CL-14 and it's one noisy bugga on the highway also. I do love the Arai, Shoie, and Suomy styles, but my budget doesn't
sad.gif

I have the symax but I prefer my Arai. The Arai's Peripherial vision is better and it also is quieter than the symax. just my .02 worth.

<!--EDIT|GD4GVN
Reason for Edit: None given...|1106669870 -->

As for safety as long as it's DOT certified it's DOT certified. So a shoei ain't goin protect ya noggin any more than an HJC.  
You really think that statement is correct huh?

(I don't want to start an argument over helmets, because that argument is played out....but I do have to say the following...)

If you need to pass a test with a score of 65, and you get a 65 but someone else in the room gets 100, who is smarter? You both passed, but don't you think the guy who got 100 is smarter?

Yes, everyone has a DOT and SNELL certification, they all pass, they are all good enough. But some helmets score 100 and some helmets score 65 (not actual, just using those numbers for illustrative purposes.)

If good enough is fine with you (it's fine for me sometimes too) go for it, but sometimes you don't just want good enough, some times you want better...or even best!

Sorry to hear about your crash TopJolly. Thanks for your insight on the HJC... I'm also loving my HJC
biggrin.gif
I love my Shoei a lot too....
wink.gif

oh and there is noticable weight difference between the 2. My neck would get soar with the symax. Again just what happened with me you may love the symax.

Have a HJC CL12 that I like a lot. As others have said it is DOT certified and that's what matters. I have also got a SHOEI RF900 that I just recently started wearing. Both fit and wear really well, but the HJC is inclined to fogging. I have never tested the survivability of a helmet and hopefully never will, but I think both would survive the one impact.

Just got this Shoei to match my new 05 blue and silver busa. It's quiet as all get out, and warm enough for the winter months. It's a little bit more than some others, but as everybody say's "you get what you pay for."

helmet4.JPG

Got a CL-14, Shoei RF900, two Fulmers (not sure what models) and a Z1R Duke. The Shoei takes top honors, but isn't as quiet as I expected it to be. The HJC is following in second, a little noise, but overall I'm happy with it. No problem changing shields, just pay attention to what you are doing- none of these mechanisms are bomb proof. The rest are ,well, in last place.

Back