Hayabusa.org Drag Race! Oct 4

Professor

Hayabusa Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
In conjunction with the Get together at Caps in October we are going to the PMRA drag race finals at Thunder Valley raceway. I talked to the PMRA owner and we decide to have a Haybusa.org Drag Race!

I’m open to suggestions on rules and procedures. We want it to be a fun thing and also get those that have never been on the track involved. It will be a simple bracket race, maybe with first round losers buying back in. We’ll pay the normal $10 gate fee and $10 to race. $5 to buy back in (or make it free).

Last year we had a group ride to the track and made it there during the PMRA qualifying. We’ll do that again and depending on the number of participates and what time we arrive, we’ll run on or two qualifying rounds. I will work with everyone to make sure they are comfortable with how it works. This will give everyone some practice on how the tree and race procedure works as well as †guess†to establish a dial in. Then we’ll run the eliminations. We plan on getting done way before the final rounds so we can enjoy watching the racing as well as being involved.

1/8 or 1/4 mile is still up in the air. This is a NHRA track. Protective gear requirements change dramatically once 120mph is breached. We want everyone to be involved so I think it would be better to run 1/8 mile. I don’t think we’ll have much of a chance of exceeding that at 1/8 with our target participant, yet most would be breaking it the 1/4

Gear requirements:
Full face helmet,
full fingered gloves
Jacket, leather or motorcycle specific.
Over the ankle sturdy footwear (prefer leather)
Minimum of jeans but if you have riding pants or leathers that would be better.
(I’ll bring some loaner gear. I’ve got 6 acceptable Jackets Lg-XL, a pair of overpants, pair of gloves, 2 pair of boots sz11, 2 helmets. Ping me if you might need something)

Participation Requirements:
You can’t be racing in a PMRA class except the “street fighters†(all day time trials you can participate in for $15 more). We don’t want this to interfere with the other classes. Hopefully most will be coming in on the group ride anyway.
If you, your spouse, or friend are riding something other than a busa no big deal. We just don’t want highly experienced drag racers bringing in a purpose built bike with wheelie bars, slick and delay box to gain the Hayabusa.org King of the Track title.

Procedures:

We’ll draw cards to make a bracket. If an odd number the lowest reaction in the previous round (or qualifying for the first round) will get the bye run. You can only get one bye run until everyone has had a bye. Otherwise standard NHRA rules on breakout, redlights, and crossing the lane lines, etc.

Prizes:
Cash payback %TBD, maybe a Trophy or two, and who knows… :)

It would be great if everyone coming gave it a shot. We don’t want anyone pushing the limits beyond their comfort zone. You can still have fun leaving the line as you would at a stop light, accelerating to 70mph and holding that speed through the lights. I’m betting someone could go a few rounds and maybe win the thing doing just that.

Comments / additions this is still open to change let me know what you think so we can get a feel for it.

yea, it would not be much fun if you get local track rats jumping in on this.. I doubt very many members have ever had a shot at the tree on the bike...

I would much prefer 1/4 mile myself but either is fine with me..

Last edited:
I will do either one......I want to run my baby!!!! DO your pants have to be leather for them to be legal above 120?

yea, it would not be much fun if you get local track rats jumping in on this.. I doubt very many members have ever had a shot at the tree on the bike...

I would much prefer 1/4 mile myself but either is fine with me..

I agree, I would prefer to set it up for 1/4 mile. Reality kicks in though.. I would rather it be run on the 1/8 if we have to exclude those that want to participate.

We'll see how it looks and decide then.

I will do either one......I want to run my baby!!!! DO your pants have to be leather for them to be legal above 120?

If they are are motorcycle specific riding pants with a bit of armor, reinforcement, and padding, they should be fine.

OMG i would love to do this but.... i think my bike will be sold by tomorrow... :(

Many tracks "slide" on the leathers thing but IMO, you are nuts to race without.. FYI, we fail more racers due to "shoes" than any other item as the rule applies to ALL bikes..

NHRA Rule book:
Full all -leathers or SFI Spec 40.1/2 suit mandatory on motorcycles running 120 mph or faster. Two-piece suits must be joined together with a zipper at the waist.

SFI Spec40.1/1 or 40.1.2 leather jacket , leather boots/shoes above the ankle, and leather gloves are mandatory on ALL motorcycles.

:banghead:To far away for me. For those that have never run...its a great feeling even if you never plan do it again. I'v had two nights at the track and total 15 runs...its addicting good time:beerchug:

Bumping this back to the top.....

This is going to be an 1/8 mile run. However, I'll make sure anyone that wants a shot at the 1/4 gets a chance. That is provided you have the proper safety gear.

There is also a class that runs time trials all day long on the 1/4. You can enter it as well.

Professor, I'll need to do some work to Luci between getting there and running on the track. Nothin big, sprocket swap, tire and wheel swap. Any change of getting some help and someplace to work?

I'm not sure about this launching stuff. I'm used to starting down a long straight at 75-80 mph with a knee on the ground.

I have fully armored 2 piece leather suit with 360 zipper. I don't think I'll need to replace the sliders for this :laugh:

Last edited:
i'll be at the races but the wife wont let me race, maybe you guys could convince her???

You gonna come by the house after the races? About 20 minutes away from the track. Were gonna have steaks !

i will try to, thanks for the invite. Probably depends on the weather i hate being cold so i may have to head home while the sun is still up. I'm about 45 min. to an hour south of the track.

Back