PMRA World Finals

Professor

Hayabusa Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
The PMRA finals were held in Noble, Oklahoma (20 miles or so south of Oklahoma City) Saturday after being postponed due to high winds two weeks ago. The racing was very good. George Gooch came up again from Houston and topped his own Pro Street MPH record on his Turbo Hayabusa not once but twice. It was 191.89. I believe he went 194 in qualifying and ran 197 in an elimination pass. 197 with no wheelie bar and a DOT tire!  

This was my first attempt at racing. I’ve been entering two classes Street E/T and Pro E/T. Both are et bracket classes. No slick, bar, or electronics in the Street class. I figured if I entered two classes I get more seat time. It has been a fun year. I made it to the quarter finals in both classes in the past. Last race I found a bit of luck and made it to the semi finals in both classes. It has been great fun.

Going to the final race of the season, I found myself in 9th place in the Pro class (didn’t run the first race in this class) and in 4th in the street class. The points race was tight also. They give 100 points bonus for making 5 of 6 races. With the bonus points added, here is where we sit.
1 2100
2 1700
3 1650
4 1600
5 1550

100 points per round won and 200 bonus for the race winner and 50 points for the runner up. First round losers can buy back in. With the bike count all year max is 800 for winning and 550 for runner up. So mathematically the top 6 can win the championship. I figure I’m locked into the top 10 so I’m happy with the season no matter what happens today.

What more could I ask for the weather was looking good. My wife was there for support (even if she doesn’t care too much for my busa or the racing) One of my best friends Booger was there as always. My brother was there to help. My own professional photographer Captain was in attendance along with Mrs. Captain there to cheer me on, my in-laws came out again (I’m not sure if they like me or the racing) .  

Ok Let’s go Qualifying.. Results iffy at best.
Pass 1 Boy,  I screwed up the one with a red light and a pitiful launch. Ran a 10.39. (This isn’t looking good folks.)
Pass 2  OK regroup, you can do this.. R/T .016 60-1.719 ET 10.077 much better. 60’s not where they need to be but the pass felt good and I think I’m comfortable repeating it.
Pass 3 red again. Both were in the left lane. What is the deal.. but 10.084 and my best mph ever 141.93. it felt great again. 60’ still horrible (1.718) but, I’m working on repeatability
Pass 4  .010 Light and 10.050. 60 was 1.708. I usually have 60.s in the 1.65 range but I’m leaving it alone.  Let’s dial in at 10.05 and forget about the getting my 9 second pass this season.

Let’s clear our head, fire up the grill and cook something. Have to eat before we can start racing!  You know if I’m cooking it is going to have some kick to it. Rick’s famous (well almost) chicken…

Ok I need to go unload the trailer.  I’m going to abuse my Mod rights and lock this thread to keep everything in order. Wait there will be more……..

I can’t believe I missed this part last time. I’m next to head up to the burnout box in the last round of qualifications and wow. I can’t believe that…the whole bike is 12 o-clock and off the ground. I see Captain has the lens pointed that way ….. I wonder if he caught it. Dang right he did (did I say he was a pro?) see the other thread for the pictures. I’m glad Joe walked away. A bit sore, but he’ll be ok.

Back to the rest.  Dang, that chicken was good. Driver meeting time, Preacher was on hand to bless the event. Hmmm.... They need to play the national anthem.  Time for eliminations.

SET round 1: I red light first round in Street E/T with a 10.08 pass. Not off to a good start. Guess which lane? Yep, the left one.  Well that just cost me $10 and I sure could have used the 100 points. At least you can buy back in on the first round. Straight back to the staging lanes to line up in Pro… hot lapping.

PET round 1: Wait, this isn’t fair guys. I’m paired up with the Preacher and you know who he has on his pit crew. Well at least I draw the right lane, there is some voodoo going on in the left. Oh No! I’m spotting him over 3 seconds! Dang that is forever.  I see he cuts a bad light so I relax just a bit. I cut a .110 but it is better than his. What is going on…I can’t catch him. He crosses the line first, but I get the win light. I ran 10.13. He broke out. I had a 1.707 60,  one of the shifts didn’t feel right. Maybe that is where it is. Foot-shifting does have its drawbacks.   I’ll keep the 10.05 dial in

SET Round 2:  I’m paired up with the 2004 and 2005 class champion. Number 7 in points this year after missing a round due to an injury. Oh Great. I get to look at that #1 on his bike. Talk about pressure. Cut a .026 light, feels good. At the 1/8, I'm looking toward the end. What? I get the win light. He red lighted. I run a 10.12.  My 60 is a bit off.

PET Round 2  I get the card first which sends me to the left lane. 3 out of 4 passes I red light and I’m heading that way again. Even my last race I won because my opponent pulled a redlight in that lane. Only 14 minutes ago I might add. Talk about hot lapping, I barely had time for fuel. This is looking bad, I look over to see who drew the “better†right lane and Preacher is there. Back for revenge. I just cost him $20 from the offering plate to buy back in. Oh No!!!!  Well.... he adjusts his dial in so I’d better be on my game. His light looks slow, but I’m not sure… I cut a .018 light and pass him about the 1000’ I’m running about 125 and he is at about 85. I get on the brakes and cross the line @ 118mph (about 22 slow) hoping the cruiser doesn’t have a 50 shot of gas on it.  

After round 2 of Street ET I take inventory..... (while eating a another piece of chicken) The points leader won the first round and red-lighted in the second round. I sure wouldn't have wished it on Mark as we actually became friends during the year. Tough luck on a great season for him. So Number 1, 2, 6 and 7 are eliminated. #1 gained 100 points, 2 lost both rounds, and 5th won both, I'm not sure about 3rd. Number 5 passes me in points and we both pass number 2. # 3 has added at least 100 points.

SET Round 3 Quarter Finals: I get the right lane. I’m dialed in at a 10.08. The weather is changing and the DA climbing a bit. I launch first as my opponent dialed in with a 9.45. I cut a .047 light, the launch felt great, I know I’m going to have to chop the throttle at the end. Then I see the win light in my lane. He must have fouled. He pulled a -.006 red light in the left lane. I keep it pinned all the way through to get a good test run hit the shifts decent. 10.077 on my .08 with a 1.684 60. Seat of the pants dyno felt it!

PET Round 3 Quarter Finals: Great! 11 minutes between these two rounds. Why am I running two classes? Good thing I fueled between the last two. I put my dial in back to 10.05. Line up, Lights come down and I launch. Red light but this time in the right lane. What did I do? Look at the slip and it was a -.120. I believe I left on his green light, who knows.

Now, I can focus on the Street ET. All of the contenders for the championship are out of the eliminations. I’m doing the math in my head. It is possible for me to win the championship, but only if I win the next two rounds. Ok Rick, clear your head. Don’t even think about it. You need to win the next race to lock up 2nd place. You’ve been to the Semi Finals before calm down. One race at a time.

SET Round 4 Semi Finals
I get carded 2nd… Right lane, a bit of relief…. Calm down.. 10.05 dial in. I go first. RT .049. Where is this guy… I look back. Why did I take the mirrors off of this thing? I still can’t see him. Do I let out of it? I did that in the Kansas round and the guy past me. The launch felt good. Too much going on in my head. I see him. Brake hard. I run a 10.14 @ 128mph. He runs a 9.37 on a 9.35. He lost it on the tree with a .286 R/T. I guess he was seeing all of the red lights in the left lane. It was a good thing I pointed it out to him right before our round. (not really).

2nd place points locked up and I’m in my first final round!

Well it is just me and CJ left. CJ isn’t in the points hunt but is capable winning any given round. He is a past champion. I’m thinking about offering him the Winning check and an extra $100 to boot to take a fall! Joking again, but maybe not a bad idea. Nope it is just another race, clear your head. Run it like you have been. I draw the right lane, he has to deal with the left lane voodoo. I’m spotting him about 4 tenths.  Wow the lights are confusing. Remember you practice tree Rick, focus on YOUR last yellow light. Block out the others.  He launches. 4 tenths later, I launch. I felt like I cut a good light, the 60 felt good. The slip reveals I cut a .041 he cuts a .047. I hit the shifts like I have been. Where is that nitrous bottle, It is going to be close.  He crosses the line .033 of a second in front on me. I have him by 5 THOUSANDS on the tree. He ran a 10.364 on a 10.45 dialin.  I screwed up and had changed my dial-in to a 10.10. I run a 10.053. So it comes down to who broke out the least. I broke out by .047 and he broke out by .086.  Margin of Victory .039 seconds

I won my first round and picked up a championship along with it. Man I needed a beer. As a matter of fact I think I need one after writing this up.

I learned a bit, made a few mistakes but had a ton of fun along the way. Here it is 24 hours later and I still can’t believe it. I think Captain is holding off posting the great pictures he took to keep from spoiling the results.  Thank Cap! And thanks for coming out and helping.

I’m still pumped. I went into this 6 race series wanting to run in street trim as much as possible. I wanted to run a stock arm and foot shift pretty much like I ride it on the street. I swap the rear wheel/tire, lower it, strap the front, remove the mirrors, and change the gearing. After one race, I rode a 25 mile loop the next day to see my grandmothers for Mothers Day. I took it to the Meet and Greet in ES and raced the 5th round the following weekend. I taught 15-20 motorcycle safety classes on the bike in the past year. This bike will do about anything!  

Thanks for letting me re-live the excitement while I share it with you guys (and gals). And thanks for sharing information on the board to let me pick up the tips. I received a bunch of advice and picked up a tremendous amount of information from this website. It paid off.
beerchug.gif

hey way to go, nice writing round by round i like it, take your winnings and get you a air shifter you wont regret it....
beerchug.gif

Rick, his wife and racing guidance counselor (Booger)

AND a 5ft tall trophy

thundervalley_nov_4_06_gp_IV_22_sized.jpg

Man,loved the round by round rerun,aren't you glad the seat didn't come....you would have had to learn to readjust and may have messed your game up......Congrats again and if I had been there I would have laid it on the line for the underdog...

Congrats Rick..... Nice job on the write up! Looking forward to Capt's pics of the event!

Thanks evryone!

GC I'm looking forward to trying that new seat next year. This race I tried to to pull down across the tank more. The step in my current seat left some bruises deep in my but. I think yours is going to work out better.

Wow, what a write up Rick. Now I know your glad you chose to buy my Busa over the others you were looking at. LOL

You are the man
bowdown.gif
Congrats on the Championship win..

Would love to see more pics, Good job Cap..
beerchug.gif

Doyle

Thanks Pops. I am glad you bumped this.
I saw the Christmas trophy before. But this was a better read on it.
jump9.gif

(Pops Roos @ Dec. 13 2006,10:34) Wow, what a write up Rick. Now I know your glad you chose to buy my Busa over the others you were looking at. LOL

You are  the man
bowdown.gif
Congrats on the Championship win..

Would love to see more pics, Good job Cap..
beerchug.gif

Doyle
Cap has some more pictures up. Hopfully the gallery will be fixed soon.

Thanks for the good words. I'm trying to take care of your bike like you did and still have fun with it!

I'll say congrats again!! It was good to meet you in the staging lanes. I hope to visit a bit more next time.
beerchug.gif

Back