Launching

but from one week to the next I improved DRAMATICALLY[/Quote]

beerchug.gif
That is what it is about.  

When I was foot shifting, I also launched with my left foot on the peg. Otherwise, I could not get it up in time. Now I don't even put my feet on the pegs through the 1/4. I'm getting to old and fat to make it happen. I need to loose about 50lbs and take some yoga classes.

Make sure you make the 1-2 shift count. 2nd gear is kind of fragile on the busa. Hopefully no damage has been done.

(Professor @ May 31 2007,08:45) Make sure you make the 1-2 shift count. 2nd gear is kind of fragile on the busa. Hopefully no damage has been done.
I think it may be too late. Last week it popped out of gear twice and it did it twice again 3 nights ago (wasn't racing just gunning through gears). Although it only did it once last night it also slipped on me in 2nd as I mentioned in my previous post. At first I gave it no thought, but after doing a search on here I see its a common problem.

Looks like I'm gonna have to do some research on "undercuts".
sad.gif

(Professor @ Apr. 09 2006,11:21)
(GoldenChild @ April 09 2006,08:53) Take off with your foot on the shifter side or reverse, your shift pattern.

I was thinking about taking off with the left foot on the peg, but was not sure if it would affect my ability to launch straight. I hadn't thought about reversing the shifter. Will the stock parts flip ? Now the next question. Will habit come into play with my downshifting? Heck, I’m a newbie at all of this and throwing something else for my nimble mind to have to remember going down the track may be an issue.

I have two bigger issues than getting my foot up. Mainly my 60’ times suck. I’m not rolling the throttle on quick enough on the start. The second is my reaction time. I ran two classes, one was on a pro tree and the other was a full tree. My reaction times were not good but running on a different tree each round didn’t help my learning curve any. I really hope to get it where I can run the 9.90 class. I ran two classes for the seat time. No doubt I need it. The bike is capable but I’m not sure I am. I need way more seat time than I may have time for. They are running a 6 race series (5 in OK, 1 in KS) I hope to run all 6.  

I first ran it last fall. Lowered 1â€, with pipe, Pilot Power rear, 17/40, I went 10.55 @ 138 with 1.835 60’ (however most were in the 1.94-2.06 range. Never drag raced a bike before so I was happy.  Went out this time lowered 2.25 rear, front lowered 1†but strapped and pulled down another 1-1 ¼â€ or so, 16/40, MT rear @ 20lbs, shift light, rear shock rebound @ 0 clicks. Best runs were in the 10.20s  (10.24 10.28 10.26) with 60s in the 1.83-1.86 range. I think the biggest thing is the fear of looping it out on the start. I’m launching about 6500, slipping the clutch. I’m not rolling on full throttle to about 40’ or so. I truly believe there is easily 2 tenths in the 60’. I ran another busa in eliminations and his 60’ was 1.68 so I know it is me.
Rick, I've followed this interesting thread lately. I just wanted to comment on your great progress since the first post here....and your times then wern't bad by any means
smile.gif

beerchug.gif

(Red05 @ May 31 2007,10:29) Rick, I've followed this interesting thread lately. I just wanted to comment on your great progress since the first post here....and your times then wern't bad by any means  
smile.gif

beerchug.gif
Thanks for the good words. I've learned a lot from here and have tried to share the knowledge with the others. It is still a work in progress. I hope to be able to run the 9.50 class also with it next year. I'm a slow learner!

as soon as the track opens this year i'm goin and it'll be my first time....been ridin for 7 years but never raced....i've got a 4-1 d&d, air box mod,and the rears lowered...16 tooth front sprocket on the way and pc3 on the way...hopefully enough to get a good low 10 time

i have read the thread, i just started getting into 1/4 mile this is all great advice. i to am tryin to break into the nines best pass so far is 10.20 all the problems that you guys have had must be contagious or something. my question is suspension, i have extended 6" and im wondering what would be optimal setup for rebound and compression? i weigh 180 with my gear?

Mike with 6 inches over, you really need to work on the shock and swap the spring. If it is the stock unit, you might try the rebound all the way in. The compression 3 or so out from all the way in. You might need to tighten the preload a bit as well.

Welcome and good luck at the track!

i have tightend the preload,is there a way to measure the preoad so you know just how much to tighten it,if not how can you tell if it is set correctly?

If you want to race, set the bike up for it. i enjoyed riding on the street with an airshifter. And they are not that expensive. If you bought a Mickey tire you can buy a airshifter. Also, you can get the auto shift option which makes racing like riding a bicycle. After I got comfortable on the bike I took the autobox off and sold it. Try www.mpsracing.com I think an airshifter is like $280 and about$100 for the bracket. Save the money, the mickey is overkill. You are throwing away $$$. Drop the heavy chain and get a EKDRZ530 lightweight chain, and put some extensions on it. Slide it up if you want the twisties. You'll go from 10's to mid-low 9's instantly. Plus you will LOVE your bike set-up that way. I cant stand riding one at stock height/stock wheelbase bike. I like'em low and longggg:thumbsup: Then you'll be able to out run those MOO COW's:poke::laugh:

Set the rear shock up so that it compresses quickly and rebounds slow..real slow. You want the bike to squat and stay down and come up gradually. This will eliminte the wheelie. Alot of the motorcycle performance online shops revalve stock shocks. THEY WORK. but if you try you may be able to set yours up yourself.

you guys with brocks ultra clutch mod, what did you use to remove the clutch bolt?
I dont have an impact gun.

believe me if you don't have a problem getting your foot up then you aren't launching hard enough. I couldn't get my foot up in time to make the 1-2 shift so I had to start leaving with my foot on the peg. Once you get used to it, it works great!!!

Plus its alot cheaper than an air shifter.
cool.gif

edit:// I've heard for every 10th you can drop your 60 you cut 2-3 tenths on the far end....... something to think about!!

I heard that too, for about for every half second you gain in the 60' translates into a second at the end. Heard it from Richard Peppler(of RCC Turbos) who just set a Canadian Pro Street record. His 60' was 1.339 ET 7.523 @186.15

The second is my reaction time. I ran two classes, one was on a pro tree and the other was a full tree. My reaction times were not good but running on a different tree each round didn’t help my learning curve any
beerchug.gif

This will help you on your reaction time.
On the pro tree all 3 amber lights come on at once then green , On the .500 tree you have 3 amber lights that come on one an a time and then green.
Do the following and you reaction time will improve 100 %
After you stage look at the bottom amber light ONLY and when it blinks on drop the hammer do this on both trees pro & .500.
reason I say this is because on the .500 tree if you look at the top amber and the watch them come down your brain has too much to think about.
Using all the ambers you have Amber Amber Amber go.
If you look only @ the bottom amber you have amber go.
your mind to hand time delay is less when you use only one amber.
another trick is too wear shooting glasses the shooting glasses will make the lights brighter and they seem to jump out at you.

I didn't see if you posted your weight, 22lbs is a 10th when you start getting better weight will be your next issue if it's not already. Stock wheelbase for a bigger guy with that Water Buffalo tank banging into your stomach is kinda hard to get out of the hole. I'm selling tanks that are on classifieds that are worth a 10th to everyone with a stock tank and 3 10ths to a novice. You can move your weight over front of bike and tank is not banging into your stomach keeping your weight to far back on bike. Check it out, Gen I + II:cheerleader:

A stock wheelbase bike takes time to get the 60ft down, with a 1397 to it makes it even more of a challenge.

Tell me about it. I was thinking of stretching mine, but I kinda want to get good using what I got. Plus...anytime I race and win against a SWB bike, they'll just say..."you were supposed to win...you're stretched"..lol

Back