A Safety Question For All

I'm not a fan of flashing lights, outside the established norm. You see a modulated headlight, 8 out of 10 people fixate on it wondering what it is. No thanks.

That's how they see you.
If it is just a normal light, they miss it in all the thousands of other lights.
I want them to fixate on it, and then I am passed them.
It really works best when coming head on, or when you are behind a guy and he looks in the mirror, for his lane change.
You are right, they almost all look at it.
I wouldn't live without mine. I forgo HID's to have the modulator. JMO

Last edited:
That's how they see you.

That's how they run over you.

If it is just a normal light, they miss it in all the thousands of other lights.
I want them to fixate on it, and then I am passed them.

ok then.

It really works best when coming head on, or when you are behind a guy and he looks in the mirror, for his lane change.
You are right, they almost all look at it.
I wouldn't live without mine. I forgo HID's to have the modulator. JMO

We'll agree to disagree... I will rely on NO ONE but myself to keep me safe. Modulators are a bit on the passive, "golly I hope he sees me and gets out of my way" side for my tastes.

IMHO, there are two things that can be done:

1) Increase the size of the vehicle. It's bike, so that's not gonna happen.

2) Make it brighter, via paint and lights, in colors and patterns.

2.5) Make yourself brighter, via clothing and lights, in colors in patterns.

Consider that there are NO visual adjustments to be made that will have ANY effect on a driver or pedestrian that is lookin' for the "perfect song" on their iPod while texting their friends about where to have lunch tomorrow.

The "loud pipes" thing, IMHO, is utterly futile as a safety measure. While I can certainly imagine it has helped alert an otherwise inattentive motorist to a bike on the rare occassion, there is no evidence that loud pipes are a regularly effective safety strategy. In fact, in another vehicle, it can be difficult to even locate, directionally, the source of emergency sirens whose higher pitches are better suited for the human ear to locate. Loud pipes best chance of preventing bike accidents is by pi$$ing off the general public to the point that motorcycling becomes outlawed altogether.

The reality is that being seen is only the first line of defense and, as with all front lines, is probably the least effective and reliable defense which must be reinforced with the abilities of a rider who can manage the result of the front line failing miserably.

Best of luck!

I will rely on NO ONE but myself to keep me safe. Modulators are a bit on the passive, "golly I hope he sees me and gets out of my way" side for my tastes.

I agree that you are the first line of defense for your own safety.
When I am traveling down the road and a cager is sitting there with his blinker on to turn left in front of me, I want him to fixate on that flashing headlight and hesitate due to the fact he does see it, and not turn at the last minute. I am still cautious, as he might do just that.
You are right it is no substitute for being awake.
The next time you see one coming at you (in your car or bike), take notice of how you react to it.
That is what I want.
IMO

Well, I just wanted to stir up some conversation in hopes that we could all benefit from the collective knowledge of the oRg. Thanks for all the great comments and ideas. Please keep them coming!:thumbsup:

It's funny....most people take of their reflectors the day they get their bike, then they go and get HID's and LED's and so on. I have gotten the HID and LED things done, but I did NOT take of my reflectors, if someone wants to laugh at me....it's all gravy. I'm faster and alive!!!!! Just had another guy here in town reck last night....speed and alcohol were a factor.

1.) Don't be stupid
2.) Light upgrades/brakes
3.) Right...bright gear.
4.) Don't be stupid.

It's funny....most people take of their reflectors the day they get their bike, then they go and get HID's and LED's and so on. I have gotten the HID and LED things done, but I did NOT take of my reflectors, if someone wants to laugh at me....it's all gravy. I'm faster and alive!!!!! Just had another guy here in town reck last night....speed and alcohol were a factor.

1.) Don't be stupid
2.) Light upgrades/brakes
3.) Right...bright gear.
4.) Don't be stupid.

I took off my reflectors and then added 3M reflective decal material on decals on some parts of the bike.
The reflectors just reminded me of the bicycle ones when I was a kid.
You are right - silly thing to do....

I took off my reflectors and then added 3M reflective decal material on decals on some parts of the bike.
The reflectors just reminded me of the bicycle ones when I was a kid.
You are right - silly thing to do....

Ya know, now that ya mention it, I never had those on my bike...not for long. I always managed to ride rough enough that they would get cracked and fall off. Since I don't associate them with my bicycle days, guess that's why I don't mind keeping the Busa-flectors. :whistle::laugh:

I'm not a fan of flashing lights, outside the established norm. You see a modulated headlight, 8 out of 10 people fixate on it wondering what it is. No thanks.

is this based on a study? where did you obtain these numbers?

I never let anyone anything be on either side when I'm riding. Not even my fellow riders. Must have an escape route. Just when you have made eye contact with some one in a car is the time they will pull right out in front of you. If you want to see the scenery, stop and get off the bike and go look. Don't look at anything but what you are doing and everything around you. That my story and I'm sticking to it. Bill...Cheers

It's great to see members realizing that we riders have the power to stay safe by riding responsibly and increasing our skills; especially braking. Let's stop placing blame on everything else and take care of ourselves. If you want to ride that thing fast, and have the skills necessary to handle an emergency, PRACTICE in parking lots and at the track.

And if you are not going to the track...you are missing the time of your life.

I don't agree that 95% can be avoided, but quite a few can. I have had 2 cars pull in front of me w/ no warning that I hit broadside. The 1st time I was on a bright blue/white 84 GS550ES wearing bright clothing. The second I was on a red/white/blue 86 VF1000R wearing bright gear. I had 0 time to even hit the brakes in both instances, & no warning they were even there. They cut through traffic stopped for a light.

I try to avoid riding in anyone's blind spot, wear bright gear & always ride w/ my brights on. I did just get some HID's in last night.

IMHO, if you've experienced this same collision twice, then you are either the least lucky rider in America or you should be more introspective about your own defensive driving.

I must conclude that you were moving forward in an open traffic lane with other traffic (on your right) stopped for the light. This very act is itself an inherently dangerous scenario, because any of those cars may suddenly decide - for a variety of reasons - that they want to be in your lane, and jump in. This is the time (regardless of posted speed limit or how late for work you might be) to slow waaay down so that you have valuable time to react (the same time that you said you didn't have).

Further, you can anticipate/predict vehicles pulling through stopped traffic by looking for gaps in the stopped traffic, especially if there are side streets/parking lots that join the main street. If there is a gap, you must assume (if you can't actuallly look over/through the traffic) that someone will be doing exactly what you don't want them to do.

I don't say these things as a personal attack: rather I think it is important that on a safety forum everyone needs to be introspective regarding their own awareness, skill, tactics, strategy, habits, etc. I've met dozens of guys who have crashed through the years, and almost every one of them said, "there was nothing I could do." This is almost never the case.:leseratte:

That's an interesting inquiry......well, for one, where colored, or color-accented gear, be noticeable, too many ride in all black. Stay in people's rear-views, side or over shoulder mirrors. Always run a few mph faster than the rest, keep passing. Show courtesy, this kills cagers, as they figure most bikers are @ssholes anyway, i.e. Guy's coming over, give him room, but make sure he sees you when he gets in there. If someone cuts you off, accidental or on-purpose, get around them without breaking a law. You ride a Busa, that should be easy. If you can brake-out do it, if throttle will get you there without looking like an idiot, use it ! Don't cop an attitude, you'll never win if some headcase comes after you in his Ford F250, or any other 2000+ pound vehicle. Lastly, and this is straight from a LEO in my neck of the woods......"Be invisible, or consider yourself as such, because you are".... If you ride with the knowledge that people don't see you anyway, you'll never feel the need to pick fights at freeway speeds because there's a good chance that dingaling "really" didn't see you.....when they actually do see you, you'll be grateful.

And very last, "Ride tight". Use the same tire lines, or gaps ALL the time. If you commute with the same people everyday on that freeway, they'll get used to you. If cagers see you riding a tight line, they'll notice and remember that over the squids doing buck-thirty passes down the inside fast lane meridian...... :super:

Back