A Safety Question For All

Flicka

Professional Booga Flicka
Registered
Ok, I’m looking for some input from all of you. We all know that motorcyclists may as well be invisible when we’re on the road. It’s often the case that car drivers don’t notice us until after a near miss or worse. We’ve all seen the “loud pipes save lives†and “look twice, save a life†bumper stickers, but our sportbikes generally don’t have loud pipes and people are not looking twice. So here’s my question. What can we do that would most effectively increase awareness of our presence on the road? I’m interested in all kinds of ideas, from flashing neon jackets to television ad campaigns. I know we’ve got some creative minds here on the oRg. Have at it.

Seriously though, I have people not notice me while I'm pulling a 36ft 5th wheel. So I would have to say there really isn't anything that is going to correct the problem.

Front = HID's
Front = Adding turn signals as running lights
Back = Adding turn signals as running lights
Changing flash patterns on tail lights....

The best example I have seen is the way that busa159 has added a module to all is lights that when he hits the brakes his tail lights and turn signals alternate flashing... Its incredible to see from behind...

Abate in Wisconsin every spring passes out yrad signs free of charge to people. They get planted every where. Next is BRIGHT COLORED GEAR. Like Scorpions new NENON LIME Exo-700 and then Tourmaster I think makes a real nice textile jacket that matches. But it is important to wear BRIGHT OBNOXIOUS colors. Yes it is true that if you wear this stuff, you can not hide from the LEO or even try to outrun them. That should be the least of your worries. If you speed plan on paying. I have found that if you are wrong and they see you, pull over right away. I mean right away. Even if they have to turn around to come get you, as soon as you see them and it looks like they want you, pull over, dismount, remove helmet and have your DL ready for them. I have gotten out of tickets 4 for 4 with that attitude. Not evena written warning on any. They were just shocked that I stopped and waited for them. They all asked why I stopped. "Because a ticket is not worth dying to avoid" I admit that I was wrong and had a slip of my judgment for doing what I did. And that usually works well.
SO BRIGHT COLOR gear is one of the best ways to be seen.

Rear: Clear LED tail & integrated signals. brake light modulator, run Lites in the OEM signals.
Front: GSXR signal mirrors, headlight modulator, PIAA high output lamps.
Horns: 2 Flamm car horns and 1 Steibel air horn.
Exhaust: loud Orient Express titanium Sumo.
On the bodywork I have lots of 3M reflective tape (whte and black) that shows up at night.
I also wear a Arai orange Tommy Gun helmet which is nice and bright.

The first rule of proper motorcycling (is) to ride like you're invisible. I'm not counting on anyone else to save my life.

The first rule of proper motorcycling (is) to ride like you're invisible. I'm not counting on anyone else to save my life.

Agreed, but I'll take all the help I can get to avoid becoming a stain on the highway.

reality of the situation is that 95 percent of motorcycle accidents can be avoided if we pay attention to what we are doing. i. e. safe fallowing distance, speed control and riding position not riding in blind spots . but at night i wear a riding jacket with reflective patches. but maybe as a statement we should all get mil spec icon riding vests. hid lights in front and led's in the back work great also.

reality of the situation is that 95 percent of motorcycle accidents can be avoided if we pay attention to what we are doing. i. e. safe fallowing distance, speed control and riding position not riding in blind spots . but at night i wear a riding jacket with reflective patches. but maybe as a statement we should all get mil spec icon riding vests. hid lights in front and led's in the back work great also.

+1 well said

(this may sound nutz) but what about our own lane on the highway. they have hov lanes. why not motorcycle lanes. i realize this is easier said than done but any promotion of reducing our dependency on oil is a good thing and doing this on interstates may increase motorcycle sales

Approach every vehicle like it's going to pull out right before you get there. Put a headlight modulator and a Back-Off module on your brake lights. Use the flash pattern that continues to flash as long as you hold the brakes.

I haven't had one person pull out on me since I added the headlight modulators. I like the results so much I put them on all of my bikes.

Ok, I’m looking for some input from all of you. We all know that motorcyclists may as well be invisible when we’re on the road. It’s often the case that car drivers don’t notice us until after a near miss or worse. We’ve all seen the “loud pipes save lives” and “look twice, save a life” bumper stickers, but our sportbikes generally don’t have loud pipes and people are not looking twice. So here’s my question. What can we do that would most effectively increase awareness of our presence on the road? I’m interested in all kinds of ideas, from flashing neon jackets to television ad campaigns. I know we’ve got some creative minds here on the oRg. Have at it.

obviously riding in groups helps..

solo there are a few things like high beams, HIDs, neon and or bright clothing and paint..

there are also a few riding habits like where you position yourself on the road or freeways, on the freeway I don't wait for people to see me, I get in their face or in front of them, I don't lollygag in blind spots or stay in a single formation too long, I try to move faster than everyone else, gives me the control advantage...

on roadways and thoroughfares ride in the best position available, on 2 lane each way with center turn lane I like to ride on the left line of the left lane, it gives cars pulling out a chance to see me coming from a further distance as I am located in a better field of view as apposed to being on the right line of the far right lane...

I also have more exit strategies positioned there, 2 full lanes of travel to the right and a turn lane to the left, if I am stuck all the way to the right its hard to maneuver right to avoid a hazard...

NEVER GET PINNED IN!!!

always have an exit, the more the merrier, don't ride alongside or behind other vehicles, it prevents motorists from seeing you and limits your exits in case of...

riding single lane 2 way county roads I hug the center, it gives vehicles pulling out more time to see me...

never speed in the wrong areas like city streets and thoroughfares where there are many many pull outs from shopping centers, gas stations and so on.. excessive speed reduces a motorists ability to properly calculate your rate of closure, and in some cases even see you at all..

its why you hear, "I thought I could make it" or "I didn't see him"...

of course sometimes nothing is right or wrong and stuff happens but the more you stay awake and pay attention to everyone else the better chance you have of saving an accident from happening when someone else isn't paying attention...

loud pipes is false security! rollin around thinking your ear deafening pipes are your ticket to always being noticed is ridiculous, some people do drive with their windows up and music on, some people are hard of hearing and some people just don't take notice to loud noises either way, ever notice motorists that don't pull over for screaming sirens?

another safety factor.. know your equipment! keep it in superior working order and know its full potential, you need to know if a car pulls out in front of you do you have time to stop or do you need to swerve and accelerate, swerve and brake, or just bail? these things are all determined by rate of closure, distance x speed, or time, in this case distance + speed and time are all one in the same, try to learn braking times and distances in relation to each other, for instance, at 45 mph how much distance does it take to come to a full emergency stop, and how much time did it take.

the reality is there's nothing we can do to make everyone notice us, this is an issue that needs to be emphasized during the educational process of drivers education to teach motorists the importance of always paying strict attention and how split seconds can make the difference, a higher skill bar would be nice too...

Last edited:
white helmet and neon yellow jacket would help. I think the bigger problem is that cagers are so busy on the phone that they're unaware of their surroundings. You could be a flashing sign and many still wouldn't know.

IMO the most effective way to stay on two wheels is to "PRACTICE" hard braking. We'd have far fewer crashes. Have you noticed how many guys wash the front out when the panic button is triggered? Hard braking takes LOTS of practice to become efficient. Most riders are fearful of the front brake and few really know how to use it. Practice, practice, practice,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it may save you from broken bones or worse!

By the way, I don't ride to the mail box without full leathers! Crashes usually come when you least expect it. If I have a choice between sweat and skin grafts,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well, you get the picture!

You forgot "loud clutches save lives" (for all you Ducati fans out there :laugh:)

Like others have said, practice and experience is second to none.
Expect the unexpected.

I don't agree that 95% can be avoided, but quite a few can. I have had 2 cars pull in front of me w/ no warning that I hit broadside. The 1st time I was on a bright blue/white 84 GS550ES wearing bright clothing. The second I was on a red/white/blue 86 VF1000R wearing bright gear. I had 0 time to even hit the brakes in both instances, & no warning they were even there. They cut through traffic stopped for a light.

I try to avoid riding in anyone's blind spot, wear bright gear & always ride w/ my brights on. I did just get some HID's in last night.

Front = HID's
Front = Adding turn signals as running lights
Back = Adding turn signals as running lights
Changing flash patterns on tail lights....

The best example I have seen is the way that busa159 has added a module to all is lights that when he hits the brakes his tail lights and turn signals alternate flashing... Its incredible to see from behind...
+100 here... I have HID's and flashing lights out the back..

The colored vest thing.. I am not so sure about this and here is my half baked reasoning..

When you see one of the day-glo vests, you typically think of a highway worker or a scooter rider.. slow, harmless objects (at least to a car).. I think we are anything but..

It may key the wrong reaction to the stimulus.. namely they look and figure they are going to be steering around it.. not so much worried about pulling out in front of.. Probably nothing to base this on but much of riding and driving is just mindless reaction to what we see.... I am going to leave the vests for the guys on foot..

I ride like everyone is trying to kill me ................. you can't kill what you can't catch. I don't ride next to any cage I either back off or take off. Pay attention.

Back