Hayabusa Comfortable on Long Rides?

doodoggy

Registered
Has anyone taken their Hayabusa touring, or on long rides? Is it comfortable on long rides, as compared to bigger tourers like the Beemers, etc. Not considering the riding position though...

I think its manageable! Is it as comfortable? "No", but then again when your out tooling down the road on the Busa none of this will matter...... I love taking long trips on this bike. Done a couple of 2,000 mile jounts (over a period of 3-4 days) always enjoyable. People are fascinated by this style of bike which leads to a lot of conversation everytime you stop to fill er up! Oh yea, and you'll be doing a lot of that since the Busa never seems to get far enough on one tank of gas.
smile.gif

I would say that the Busa is a terrific bike for Touring. I have done a trip through France through Andorra into Spain down to the south and back through Portugal and into Spain again and then home.Thats Two up and fully Loaded with Throw over Panniers Full tank bag And Topbox and more!!!!!!
The bike went wonderfully Any speed you like and still averaged 52 mpg (thats Imperial galls). Altogether over 3000 miles. Double bubble is essential though. If you want to know more email me. And guess what we are doing it again this year. prbuild@aol.com.

I rode from Des Moines, IA to Elkhart Lake WI in 8 or 9 hours strait. My bike is fully stock except for HELI-BARS which probably helped a bit. I was plenty shocked to discover I was NOT in a bunch of pain when I got there. I'd say the only thing I really noticed was my neck muscles ached from all that highspeed wind pushing my head back all that time. Wrists seemed fine... butt was decent... my body overall rattled a bit from wind and vibration for such a long period of time, and from having my suspension already set for race track, but it was MUCH more comfortable than I imagined it could have been. That was technically my first touring trip on the busa and I am very pleased wtih the results. You can mod it so it tours better with: double bubble wind screen, higher bars, padded handles, different pegs, other seat, add some side bags, good to go. AND you still have a KILLER SUPERSPORT BIKE underneath! It was a spirited backroads ride the whole way. I'm ready for more and thinking about a few day trip to Arizona next

I've done a couple of 500 mile days on mine. It has Genmar risers,ZG double bubble, and a Tobin seat, along with lowering it 1" in the rear. When it was stock, I couldn't stand much more than 2 hrs on it, but i'am 50 years old. My goal with a bike is to run a tank out on a trip before stopping, I can do that now.

I did almost 2000 miles in 5 days on mine with Heli-Bars and a Suzuki gel seat. It was "comfortable" by the 3rd day for me. Not Gold Wing comfort but comfy enough to totally enjoy the ride.

I just completed a trip to eastern NC from North Central Texas to visit my folks. About 1300 miles each way. First day stayed in Atlanta with friends. 845 miles in around 12 hours. Felt great and could have kept riding if not visiting friends. The busa is a great touring machine, but I've also done these type of rides on the Gixxer, a Gold Wing, Z1000, and cruisers. I have a saying that you either have the mileage gene in your ass or you don't. LOL Seriously, good riding form on a bike set up for your ergonomics dictates your distances/times more so than the bike itself.

Just my .02!

I rode from Des Moines, IA to Elkhart Lake WI in 8 or 9 hours strait.  My bike is fully stock except for HELI-BARS which probably helped a bit.  I was plenty shocked to discover I was NOT in a bunch of pain when I got there.  I'd say the only thing I really noticed was my neck muscles ached from all that highspeed wind pushing my head back all that time.  Wrists seemed fine... butt was decent... my body overall rattled a bit from wind and vibration for such a long period of time, and from having my suspension already set for race track, but it was MUCH more comfortable than I imagined it could have been.  That was technically my first touring trip on the busa and I am very pleased wtih the results.  You can mod it so it tours better with:  double bubble wind screen, higher bars, padded handles, different pegs, other seat, add some side bags, good to go.  AND you still have a KILLER SUPERSPORT BIKE underneath!   It was a spirited backroads ride the whole way.  I'm ready for more and thinking about a few day trip to Arizona next
Yeah, but your not right!
jump9.gif

Did around 525 miles the other day with no issues. Took that ride with some cruisers. The good news is that I averaged 47 mpg overall and 50 mpg on the ride back. Ride back was mostly straight and at around 90 mph. Roy who was on the Valkryie was talking about his a$$ being sore by 2/3 of the way thru the trip. I have a totally stock Busa and was cool all day. Knees got a little achey by end of day, but I have arthritis in them and expect the pain.
The Busa is a great touring bike and then again when the time comes its a blast on those back mountain rodes.
tounge.gif

In my opinion, yes it's comfortable. Currently in the garage is the 02 Hayabusa, an 02 Harley Softail, and an 03 Goldwing (well, my wife's Aprilia and a 76 chop in pieces but they don't count
smile.gif
). I've ridden all three on trips.

Of the three, the Goldwing is the worst. My back was bothering me after an hour and killing me at the end of a 300 mile day (997 miles in three days). The Harley's much better. The longest trip was 7000 miles in just under two weeks. I have a Corbin seat with backrests and I've extended the forward controls to accomodate my longer legs.

But the 'busa's the best of the three. Less than a week after I bought it, I went on a 5 day, 3000 mile ride which included 1035 miles for my first Iron Butt. This past April I went on a 6000 mile ride which included two days visiting family and friends, half day in Northern Arkansas and a day riding in the Deal's Gap area. I bought it with 3900 miles on it July of last year and it's up to 22189 miles now. I'm getting ready for three weeks of short and long distance rides.

It has Heli-bars. I added a Second Look tank bra for personal stability (I can grip the tank with my knees without slipping off), Pro-tekk pegs because of my longer legs, and mirror extenders (purchased from a member here; which work great BTW!).

When I tour, I have a Joe Rocket magnetic tank bag which I strap to the tank pivot. This way I can lay on the bag without it moving. I use the Tourmaster Cortech sport saddlebags and the Oxford sport tailbag.

Check out over here for my touring pages. Especially this page which documents my ride preparation and includes an inventory of what I generally take (slightly different if I'm camping too).

If you're interested in touring on the bike (and no slight intended to the fine folks here), you might also check out the sport touring site. Currently Gixster is somewhere in California after being in Las Vegas a couple of days ago.

Carl

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, so you find your Busa and Harley both more comfortable than your 03' Goldwing!

Say , what kind of tire repair kit do you bring along? I am thinking of getting a mini compressor and a plug kit.

Even though I ride a great deal I am alway within a few hundred miles from home....this Saturday I am heading on a reasonably long trip and I will be alone thru alot of it. My worst fear is getting a flat tire.

Thanks for posting!! That touring site is interesting and your list of things your bring along is helpful as well.

Id like to ride to Vegas from WA next year on one of my vacation weeks.

Thanks for all the help you guys. Got some realy great advice from all of ya'll. I have this weird dream of one day riding all the way from Philly to California. I guess when I eventually get a Busa, it might save me the 10'000 bucks I would need to buy an R 1150R. Hehe.
biggrin.gif
. May consider a cheap tourer like a Honda ST for extra long trips though...

But I'm liking the milage you guys get on the Busas.

<!--EDIT|doodoggy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120791719 -->

I have a 2000 model which is stock standard in terms of seat and suspension etc, end of last year I rode from Sydney down to Phillip Island, spent a couple of days riding the circuit, then rode to Melbourne for a night before riding to the Snowy Mountains region for the Australian Hayabusa club get together. After a couple of days riding the Snowy region I rode back to Sydney.

All up it was closeish to 6000km in about a week, I didn't feel any discomfort at all
smile.gif

Plus a week after I got home I was back down the Snowy Mountains for the yearly Snowy Ride
smile.gif

I think the longest days ride I've done was about 13 hours when travelling from Adelaide to Sydney, no discomfort there either..

smile.gif

Wow, so you find your Busa and Harley both more comfortable than your 03' Goldwing!
Well, the 'wing still has the stock seat. The stock seat on the Harley blows too. I couldn't last more than 45 minutes before my butt was complaining. I expect that if/when I change out the seat to one more appropriate for my butt, I'd be able to last a lot longer.

The difference is that the stock 'busa seat is comfortable. I don't have to change it out. Harley seat: 800 bucks, Goldwing seat: 1000 bucks. There's a cost savings there
smile.gif

Say , what kind of tire repair kit do you bring along? I am thinking of getting a mini compressor and a plug kit.[/QUOTE]

I got one of these kits but haven't had to use it yet. I keep meaning to try it on a tire I'm about to replace but it always slips my mind. I just changed out the front tire so I blew my chance there too. I want to try it before I need to
smile.gif

Even though I ride a great deal I am alway within a few hundred miles from home....this Saturday I am heading on a reasonably long trip and I will be alone thru alot of it. My worst fear is getting a flat tire.[/QUOTE]

I've only had two flats in my entire riding life. Both were rear and both were within a few miles of home. I figure if you carry the kit all the time, you'll never get a flat
biggrin.gif

Thanks for posting!! That touring site is interesting and your list of things your bring along is helpful as well.

Id like to ride to Vegas from WA next year on one of my vacation weeks.[/QUOTE]

One of the longer rides will be to Boise to visit my granddaughter and from there to Seattle to hook up with the Northern most Region 1 folks. Then we're riding around Mt. St. Helens on down to Bend Oregon for the Western Regional Meet (we just attended the National Meet in Montrose CO; hence the 1000 miles on the 'wing). From there I'll flip a coin and check the map and do some exploring.

Carl

smile.gif

I went from SF to Tahoe and back w/ some of the guys from the board and had no problems. Also a shorter trip from SF to San Louis Obispo and back last year... Same, easy ride comfortable w/ no discomfort.

My only Mod that counts for longer trips is the Laminar Lip ( http://coastalcompucare.us/busa/id6.html ) It lets you stay up until about 100mph.

<- went from SoCal .. to San Fran ..to Reno .. to Phoenix .. Back to SoCal.. followin my sons band on ( tour ) ..n I hada great time.. ( I remmeber'd why I got rid of my Hardleys ).. pure enjoyment..that 1 cannot ..find ride'n a "Hardley"
wink.gif

Of the three, the Goldwing is the worst. My back was bothering me after an hour and killing me at the end of a 300 mile day (997 miles in three days).
That's pretty poor for a bike that's supposed to be designed for touring.

I found that when I first started riding the 'Busa I got pains in my hands and knees, but my body has adapted since then and I can ride for a long periods comfortably.

Resting on the tank bag on long runs can be useful.

I think the leant-forward position of the 'Busa actually helps compared to the more upright touring stance - less road shocks going straight up the spine perhaps?

Absolutely (comfy). I spend all day in the saddle and I'm as comfy as i've ever been on a bike. I have a sport touring screen, O ring, and tobin seat.

I think it has a lot to do with conditioning as I've seen people heard rationaize having a cruiser for "comfort"... I've no other explanation besides pounds/height variance.

Of the three, the Goldwing is the worst. My back was bothering me after an hour and killing me at the end of a 300 mile day (997 miles in three days).
That's pretty poor for a bike that's supposed to be designed for touring.
It may be because of the weight loss (75 lbs in a year). I no longer have that belly cushion to rest my rib cage on so my backbone is bending farther than it has since I was 17.

I found that when I first started riding the 'Busa I got pains in my hands and knees, but my body has adapted since then and I can ride for a long periods comfortably.

Resting on the tank bag on long runs can be useful.[/QUOTE]

I started on a GSXR750W which has a shorter wheel base and I was still at 275 so I was already uncomfortable. I was already down 30 lbs when I got the 'busa and am down to 200 now and the bike's very comfortable. I'd have to get back on a 750 to compare.

I think the leant-forward position of the 'Busa actually helps compared to the more upright touring stance - less road shocks going straight up the spine perhaps?[/QUOTE]

I've come to the same conclusion. With the lost cushion, even the Harley is becoming less comfortable and every bump is transmitted right up my spine. Both the 'wing and the 'hawg are up for sale since my lovely wife can't ride on the back of either (back issues).

Carl

I run a Motorcycle Tour Company, doing guided motorcycle tours of California.... and lead the tours on a Hayabusa.

http://www.pashnittours.com/

$6000 in mods later.  Position is all stock except Tobin of course.  Have all three seats.  Heated grips. Throttlemeister and a ton of other stuff.  Clicky below.

I'm just running around with some RKA Saddlebags & the Tobin with regards to sport touring setup.  I actually tossed the Double Bubble and went back to the standard ZG aftermarket screen, don't even notice the difference and camera likes it better. Btw, best mod you'll ever do is steel-braided lines on front, will give you a whole new bike!

Latest 1200 mile journey on Busa: (one last weekend July 4th 4 day ride - 1200 mile tour, haven't processed photos yet).

(with gel seat & RKA expandable bags)
Hayabusa1.jpg

Back