Distance Riding

Mixel

Registered
Just curious, with a comfortable seat (say aCorbin) what is everyone's opinion on taking the Busa on longer trips as far as how long it is comfortable to ride. again just your opinion...

There are definitely some guys here who take long trips. They'll have some great advice. I've not ridden more than about 500 miles in one day, but I find the Busa to be OK the way it is.

In my opinion the bike is fine for road trips. You can raise the bars a bit with some aftermarket kits. You can get different seats. You can get a higher or even a much higher windscreen. There are many soft luggage systems and Corbin makes a hard luggage set. All of which can really make the Busa into a good sport-touring bike.

Before rushing out to buy all that stuff, I'd recomend trying some hour long trips or more in stock form. Then decide what changes would help your comfort. Everybody is different and will have their own ideas of what improvements they'll get the most out of.

I've made no changes to the ergonomics of my bike. After about an hour or so my wrists get a little sore. Not numb, but the weight and vibration does cause some discomfort. After about two hours, I'll get a bit sore from the seat. After more than three hours I'll sometimes get sore shoulders and hips from not moving around enough. The cure for me has not been to buy aftermarket parts, but rather to get off the bike every hour or so to stretch and relax. Not that there is anything wrong with ergonomic changes. I'm just cheap! ;)

I've done a few 500 mile days and a couple of 700 mile days.  I have found that a few mods make things a lot easier on the road.  

1.  Zero Gravity sport touring screen helps a lot for rain protection on long trips.  Stock screen soaked me after 30 minutes of hard rain.  Didn't get wet at all last weekend using sport touring screen in 3 hours of rain.
2.  Replaced stock footpegs with TL1000R footpegs.  Match the rear pegs perfectly and gives me close to another inch of leg-room.  Makes a lot more difference than you would think.
3.  1-inch mirror extenders for rear-view mirrors.  Sounds like a small thing, but not having to turn your head to see what's coming up behind you, rarely of course(other busa's only), or to keep track of your buddies in a group ride make it easier on you.
4.  Custom Tobin leather seat, keeps me from getting butt-burn like stock saddle.  
5.  Some guys like the handlebar risers but I prefer the control of the stock clip-ons.  

Try a long trip with it completely stock before you start modifying.  You may find that you're comfortable with it the way it is, or you may only want to change one or two things.  Either way, the bike works great for long distances.  With it setup to match your riding style, it's possible to do 1000 mile days on this bike.

Ben,

Where did you get the foot pegs? Longest I've been on my busa is about an hour and the only thing that stands out to me is that the foot peg position feels a little high at that point. A little less bend at the knee would be better for me, I think.

So, where, and how much, if you don't mind? :)

Rode mine Cross country...... 4 days in 4 days out only rode in daylight Averaged 800/day on the way home...... had an 1100 mile day on the ride out (that was tough)
Stock seat
racing rearsets
Sport touring screen I leave this on..............taken it to the limiter with it so, no need to swap it out
Throttle meister

The G dam seat is a matress didn't see a need to change it

Only my elbows pained me a little.........2 hour clips of leaning on the tank between fueling.
Never really got off the bike once on. Just flip up the visor pull the key, swipe the card....top pff......Go like hell

Was the time of my life..........planning on going again within the next two years
:super:

Only changes I've made so far were to get Corbin seats front & rear. Swapped tires to Metzler sportec M-1's. 1000 mile days are A-ok. I have thought about a double bubble screen & maybe some helibars,but honestly she's great just as she is!
:D :laugh: :cool:

the only improvent I can see making would be a new taller windscreen besides that a large tail pack. I have toured on a variety of bikes and the main complaint I have had with all of them is the seat (except the FJ1100) the Bus seems to have a two inch pillow that I would never think of giving up! bar height for me is fine, leg room will suffice (I'm 5'11). just keep gas in it and roll.:cool:

Around 400 miles in a day on twisty roads is about my limit. I'm quite happy with the stock seat, but the stock screen has given way to a double bubble aftermarket> highly recommended.

BulletTrain Posted on Aug. 21 2003,3:56
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben,

Where did you get the foot pegs? Longest I've been on my busa is about an hour and the only thing that stands out to me is that the foot peg position feels a little high at that point. A little less bend at the knee would be better for me, I think.

So, where, and how much, if you don't mind?   [/QUOTE]

I ordered mine from
Part numbers are:

43520-02F11  Right footpeg
43510-02F11  Left footpeg
09180-08149  -  Spacers needed to fit better - order two
08332-11063  -  C-Clip - you can use originals

They save some weight, and give you the extra legroom.  Costs about $45.  You can buy these from any suzuki dealership or shop around.

Good info Ben!  I ordered a set as soon as I read your post(s)!  If they work like you say I'll be one happy camper!  I did an 800 mile run to Americade in one day and my knee's were killing me!  I should be ready to ride to Alaska now.(serious) I should add that I am 6 foot 3 inches.

I have done 400 miles in one day and well, it was a nice road, with lots of curves (not sharp curves) and beautiful sights in south of Spain. Every 2 years I go to Jerez de La Frontera, departing from Lisbon and every 2 years I have this enormous pleasure. The Busa is comfortable in long journeys with good pavement, but I made a 100 miles trip in bad roads and my a$$ really got hurt after a while... So a gel seat might be my next mod in my bike. The screen is nice, but a double bubble is welcome too (i already bought one, and i'm waiting for it to arrive). Last but not least, the wrists: they hurt a lot specially when I drive slow, and I can tell you that I practice body building so I'm in shape. The question is again, the roads in bad condition... so you can buy some bar risers (i've seen from 1 to 3cm risers - it's 0,38 to 1,18 inch i think)... (keep on modding the bike like that and soon we'll have a Busa-Goldwing) :tounge:

Looks like some great info has already been devulged....... Being taller I also opted for some different foot pegs. Under the advice of Gararnett I chose Lockhart Phillips V-360 and so far so great! Much better on the legs and their adjustable, so you don't lose the cornering ability for comfort in the long haul. Yes, I too have handle bar risers. But, for me personally they didn't really make a huge diff.. Different Windscreen was a major help. Not only did it offer more protection from the wind/bugs, but I could finally see the gauges.

busaben, or anyone else that put the TL pegs on their bike. Do you have a picture of what they look like on the bike. I really need to lower the pegs a bit and it's either this or Harris rearsets. The TL pegs are a bit cheaper.

TIA....

Great bike to go touring on. Took a cross country trip back in May from Rockville, MD to San Diego, CA.

Mirror spacer
Sport touring screen
TL foot pegs
Suzuki Gel seat
Heli Bars

busaben, or anyone else that put the TL pegs on their bike. Do you have a picture of what they look like on the bike. I really need to lower the pegs a bit and it's either this or Harris rearsets. The TL pegs are a bit cheaper.

TIA....
They do make a noticeable difference. I am about 6'5 in height. Well worth the mod. Another option is the current model GSXR's. Shorter in length and does not have the rubber absorbers on the pegs. I had the GSXR pegs on the busa first. I didnt like the feel of shorter pegs for my feet to rest on. So I went with the TL foot pegs instead

TL_Foot_Peg.jpg

300-500-700 mile days are my things. Other love the strip, some the twisties... I love distance (my chance to get away from everyone and everything)

as for comfort sounds like most has already been stated, but if you are planning to ride that far here are some things to remember:

1. Camelbak hydration  (water) system -dyhadration is the most prominent factor in distance
riding
2. Tire plug kit with CO2 (you may not wanna -but you probably and gonna push your big body busa with a flat to the nearest gas station either ... and leave itopne the side of the road :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
3. Rain sut  or garbage bags and duct tape -- no need to be miserable if it starts to rain

4. advil or motrin just in case somewhere arounfd that 500 orr 600 mile mark you back/shoulders start reminding you you're old enough to have a house, a wife, a mortgage, and kids :laugh: :laugh:

OK maybe I'm slow or I just don't get it. By the pics I don't see any real change. If you only replace the pegs, how is that lowering your feet? Help....

With the TL pegs it eliminates the bulky rubber piece that is on the stock busa peg. I felt the difference the moment I sat on the bike. It does help for taller riders or riders with bad knees.

Longest I've ridden for.........7 hours, butt was a bit sore.......but worth every minute........wifey hasn't been yet.
She'll go if I put the Corbin and the backrest on........soon. :beerchug: :thumbsup:

Back