Busa vs BMW or Touring on a Busa

Billy Roy

Registered
My current ride is a BMW K1200GT, but due to reliability issues and that my nearest dealer is 160 miles away, I'm thinking about replacing it.  I did ride a Hayabusa before buying the Beemer, but I thought the riding position wouldn't be comfortable on all day rides.  How would a Hayabusa equipped with Helibars and a sport touring windshield (such as a Zero Gravity) compare to my bike?

Well the Busa is going to be a hell of a lot faster!
biggrin.gif
As for being "AS" comfortable as your Beemer? No probably not, BUT I can trully say that I have spent a few 3-4 hour days on my Busa with stock bars and seat and my only complaint was a slightly numb right foot. Heli-Bars and maybe a Corbin seat you should be good to go all day every day. But if absolute solid reliability you might want to look into a Honda. I am not saying that the Busa is unreliable by any means just that it is prolly a bit more finicky than say a Blackbird or a VFR.
Over all I am more satisfied with my Busa than I have been with any other bike, whatever little niggles you may find are completely erased everytime you twist that throttle to the stop. Feel that ONCE, FWO, and nothing else comes close...

The Hayabusa can be set up to tour, however I don't think its as versatile as the bike you currently own. Don't get me wrong, I love the Hayabusa! It just has some limits that I don't mind overcoming (when used to tour) in a trade for all out muscle performance. The BMW has a bigger gas tank, bigger electrical output capability, & factory luggage options. The Hayabusa has More horsepower/torque, better suspension (more settings), Doesn't require premium fuel, & can also be set-up for aftermarket luggage. The Hayabusa has a more aggressive rider position which can limit the leg room of the operator. Insurance can be considerably more on the Busa, but so is the respect garnered from owning one! The capacity of the bikes varies greatly! BMW is set up to handle large amounts of extra weight, the Busa is not. So, the choice really comes down to what aspects of riding do you relish most. If carving a slice of the american highway at mach one then look no further than the Busa! If a Sunday stroll is more your style look to the BMW with all its refined features.. I'm not saying the BMW or Busa are limited in their roles either. Its just that in my op each is better suited to different needs......

I rode for 9 hours on the weekend of the Canadian Thanksgiving in October... Toured down through New York on my busa with a friend on his Beemer and another on a Harley. We only stopped for gas and food and to make a couple of calls to find a hotel for the night... My bars, seat and rearsets are stock and in the stock location. I'm 5'10" and 175 lbs and the ONLY complaint that my riding companions had was the fact that they could NEVER keep up to me!!

Seriously, I was quite shocked that I was SOOO comfy for such a LONG day of riding. I DO have a throttle lock and I would seriously recommend one to ALL riders, it gives the right wrist a bit of a break without you slowing down. But I wasn't this comfortable on the cruiser owned before the Busa.

The Busa will tour very nice, but it is not a touring bike. I ahve spent many of all day and 2 day rides on the Busa, but if I was going to do touring more often i would buy a BMW or a Triumph etc.

if i was gonna tour i'd skip all the crap and get a goldwing... anything other than that and i'm gonna be on the busa.. I've pulled a 12 hour 550mi. trip on the busa with stock seat/bars and wasn't all that un-happy with my situation.

I had an '02 K1200RS for a year, which is basically the same as a K1200GT, so I can probably compare the two.

The pegs are a little higher on the 'Busa, and the bars are lower than on the GT but probably not the RS (the GT has higher risers than the RS). The wind protection on the K-RS/GT is superior but really isn't that great overall (though the RS is better than the GT there, as well) -- if protection is what you're after the RT is probably your bike.

The stock 'Busa seat is loads better than the stock RS seat (known affectionately as a "german torture rack" among the faithful), but I did it one better by switching to a basketweave vinyl corbin front/back seat with backrest (basketweave breathes well in summer and vinyl needs no looking after).

Of course, the 'Busa uses a chain and the K-GT is a shaftie. Since it's a sealed chain, however, it requires little maintenance -- about ten minute's worth after two weeks, five hundred miles, or however far I go on a >500mi day. Chains and sprokets wear out but are easy to replace. When shafts give in some way it ruins your day. BMW shafts do this.

The 'Busa is >150lbs lighter, so it's a bit easier to deal with. The brakes aren't as good (no ABS) as the K-GT's by default but has no power boost to drop out (which happened to me). The 'Busa is more fuel efficient than the K-RS/GT, and since it has a similar tank capacity it has a superior range (that's not saying much considering how far real touring bikes can go).

I have a double-bubble screen which is useful at high speeds in a tuck. I have a ventura rack system and a couple of soft throw-over saddle bags between which I have more carrying capability than my K-RS did with the factory had cases, plus it's a bit more manageable because of how the load is distributed. With panniers and a tank bag you can really go a long way.

Stock suspension on both bikes is pretty so-so. I had to upgrade the one on my K-RS to deal with my weight, but I haven't so far on my 'Busa. If you've grown attached to your in-dash gear indicator, I've also added a generic Acumen model to the 'Busa. I never used the cruise control on the K-RS, though I did notice it was malfunctioning and had the dealer fix it about three times. I put a throttlemeister on the 'Busa and haven't use that either.

I also have SS brake lines and HH pads which stops the bike a great deal better than the stock setup. Also added a jastek "BMW plug" to my left inner fairing, so I can run my heated gear (Gerbing's) with its BMW connector. Replaced the pretty decent headlights with dual HIDs for much improved night driving compared to either stock bike. Throw ALL THIS in, AND a new pipe (should you want one) and some other stuff and you're still spending less than a stock K-RS/GT.

I have made my 'Busa into a decent sport-tourer, at least as good as my K-RS was in all respects except braking, and superior in terms of handling, two-up comfort (my wife really likes the 'Busa more), and balls-to-the-wall-ness. The K-GT does have the better wind protection with the taller shield and extra plastic on the sides, but I don't think that really makes a world of difference -- as I said, real weather protection doesn't show up until an RT or Gold Wing. I ride mine Hayabusa when it's 15degF, anyway.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your decision.

Stock bars, seat, and windscreen - still have been on a number of very long days (5 hours riding) and still fairly comfortable, little numb in my shoulders from leaning over. I am 5' 9" with rather long legs (34" inseam) and I find the Busa is quite comfortable considering it's oterwise sporting/speed character. If I was to tour only (or had the money for an extra touring-only bike) I would get a Honda ST1300 hands down. Beemers are for yuppies/pretenders and they are overpriced, quirky, and difficult to have worked on unless you happen to live in a large enough area to have a local dealer. Why bother, every single city (even smaller towns) have Honda dealerships.

Is a Busa as good as a K1200GT for touring? Of course not. But can a K1200GT suck the paint off of pretty much any other bike out there (and cars), I doubt that. There is no doubt that a Busa is a hell of a bike and is very versatile but it is about speed. Just decide what is more important to you.

I'm 6'4", 280 and have done a couple 300 mile shots on mine... stock seat and bars...and found it amazingly comfortable. My only other long distance rides were on a borrowed softail duece, and although the riding positions were quite different, I 'd say comfort levels were about a push...

YMMV,

Tbone

Had a Busa decided that I wanted to do more touring and got a Goldwing. Yeah I could carry more crap but it just wasn't as much fun as riding the Busa. The gas milage was worse and I always had the feeling that I was driving a small car. Long story short, ditched the Wing and got another Busa. After I put on the Helibars & 3/4" risers, SpeedPac, L-P Super Poles and a ZG Touring windshield I'm SPORT-Touring again and I don't miss the Wing one bit and running 500+ miles in a day is nothing. If it matters I'm 6'2" @ 230 and the stock seat works just fine.

I got my busa this past summer and did a 650 mi, 10 hr ride. I'm 5'9", 170 lbs, 58 yrs. I was amazed at how comfortable it was.
Don't get me wrong it's not like sitting on a Goldwing, but it is a
hell of a lot more fun. The only ill effect I had was a sore butt, but the bike was totally stock. I'll get a more comfy seat though.

It's the only reason I kept my Harley Roadglide (the one with the frame-mounted fairing). I'm 57 and love the Busa and ride it to work and for the most fun. But when it comes to absolute comfort, reliability, and ergonomics, Harley's got it. Tried the big Beemer and Goldwing--too big and clumsy. The Roadglide is perfect and surprisingly nimble. Harley takes a beating on some of these sites, but it is as dependable as a Timex. I've owned them off and on for 36 years, and the "baggers" today are as good as it gets. But, that said, if I HAD to go back to just one bike (and I've also got a Ducati MH900e), its the Busa.

Billy Roy, as you can see everyone here is excited about the sport of motorcycling! We have a wide range of members varying in age, ethnic, & economic background. But, the best part is really that we just enjoy the Hayabusa. Welcome to the site..................

My longest trip was 1300+ mile 2 1/2 day trip on a busa. I had a Zero Gravity screeen, heli-bars, and my stuff strapped on the rear seat. It worked well and I'll most likely make that trip again on the busa. Overall I would rate it a LIMITED TOURER.. There are some board members that have riden cross country on it and I believe you can do it, but the Busa was not built to be a TOURER. If Touring is the most important factor in your riding I suggest a Gold Wing. All the comfort creatures of your automobile on two wheels. The other aspect is are you touring solo or do you tour with a passenger. If you do a lot of touring with a passenger stay away from the busa. Even though me and my wife have traveled 350+ miles on it in a day and she didn't complain I could tell it wasn't the most comfortable ride for her, and I WOULDN'T ride pillion on one for 350 miles.

The busa is a GREAT BIKE for what it was designed to do, and it does most things well. But if you are a "dedicated tourer" I recommend a touring bike IMHO

I used to have an ST1100 and rode it from CA to FL and back. Was great. I almost bought the new ST1300. Wanted another sport bike before I caould not ride one comfortablalllly. So I went w/ the Busa for now. In a couple of years I'll go back to the Honda ST series.

I have a 1988 R100RS, and of course my 03 anniversary edition Busa. My longest day so far on the Busa has been around 500 miles. It was just a day ride, and I was comfy all day. However, I have ridden my BMW 1050 miles in one day from a little town in Utah Peoria I think it was to Oceanside Ca. It was also a great ride. I guess I'm a bit of an Iron butt. The RS fairing is way better in the way of wind protection, but on the power end, I would take the Busa any day. I'm 5'10", and weigh about 163, and I am comfortable on both bikes. Since I've had the busa, my other bikes just don't get ridden anymore. I just prefer the feeling of the Busa. In my case I have a Ducati ST2 which is now for sale, and my RS which I will keep for antiquity reasons, but I'll be riding the Busa, full time.

I had a Triumph St which was a very good sport-touring bike and I sold it to buy my '03 Hayabusa. When it is all said and done, I find the Hayabusa to be every bit as comfortable as the Triumph, but the Hayabusa is faster, handles alot better and is much more fun to ride. I can put more miles on the Busa in a day comfortably, than I could on the Triumph. I'm 5'8" and 54 years old. The Triumph was good - the Hayabusa is better!

Kent

Thanks, everyone, for your input.  I'm not looking at a BUSA as a machine that would be necessarily a better touring bike, or even more reliable.  I just need a good, comfortable motorcycle that can keep up with traffic and have a dealer that's closer than 160 miles away. My nearest Suzuki dealer is about 10 miles away.  Anyway, thanks again.

Billy Roy<span style='color:blue'></span>

I find the busa is good for about 300 miles a day on problem. I have riden furture and I start to feel cramped. Rode 12000 miles this year without a mech. problem the reiaility has been great. Good luck

Back