Hard/emergency braking

Hmmm...it may be time for breaking. Now, should I take my morning break only or also my evening break? Maybe I should just use one of my breaks. Well, as long as I practice taking my breaks...that's the main thing. ;):beerchug: For now, I'll take a break from brakes. :thumbsup:

:duh: Oh man. It kills me that riders that really do not know better come one here and read this crap about using both brakes. It's one bad thing about the internet, you can't stop bad information from getting posted, all you can do is try to counteract it.

Sorry i gotta laugh a little - like that? :rofl:

But thanks for trying to demonstrate anyway!!

And if it keeps him from getting hurt until he's experienced enough to make up his own mind, I'll be happy also!
So you're not smart enough to figure it out yourself, I lay it out where you can see how it's done and that's your reaction? Wow.

:duh: Oh man. It kills me that riders that really do not know better come one here and read this crap about using both brakes. It's one bad thing about the internet, you can't stop bad information from getting posted, all you can do is try to counteract it.
Yep, try indeed. Just cause you haven't learned how to properly use your rear brakes doesn't mean he can't learn to.

No no no Knight that's not what I meant. The below screenshot is what I saw on the screen. I thought it was supposed to show me the colors for the different quotes, but that's not what came out on the screen. If you were showing me the text representation of what to do, then AGAIN I was not effective in communicating that. I was laughing because it looked like you were trying to show me and it didn't work - not as an insult but that it really was funny. I know when I'm trying to show someone how to do something and it doesn't work I kinda feel DUH about it and laugh it off and try again.

So, to try again: THANK YOU FOR ATTEMPTING TO SHOW ME HOW TO DO THAT!!!:beerchug:

Capture.jpg

So you're not smart enough to figure it out yourself, I lay it out where you can see how it's done and that's your reaction? Wow.

Yep, try indeed. Just cause you haven't learned how to properly use your rear brakes doesn't mean he can't learn to.

I guess you take the ignorance is bliss route :laugh: That's cool, whatever floats your boat. But do not endanger new riders who do not know better because you yourself are obviously deficient.

WHOA guys...we are waaay off topic and our new member is probably thinking "what the heck is wrong with these guys?"

I think there are some misunderstandings that are leading to hard feelings and insults. Knight, I'm not insulting you or your opinion and I appreciated your attempt to show me how to quote. Russell, the first part of his response was directed at me, not you. So before I go ask a mod to delete all the posts that don't pertain to the subject, how about we can it and get back to the topic.

Again. There are some that may feel that the rear brake has a purpose in emergency braking situations. I do not except when debris is present. The original poster did get it right when he said practice practice, and eventually he will make up his own mind. I encourage him to master the front first as a majority of your normal stopping power is there. After he gets good with that, go ahead and tap the back to see what happens at different loads - but be VERY CAREFUL.

WHOA guys...we are waaay off topic and our new member is probably thinking "what the heck is wrong with these guys?"

I think there are some misunderstandings that are leading to hard feelings and insults. Knight, I'm not insulting you or your opinion and I appreciated your attempt to show me how to quote. Russell, the first part of his response was directed at me, not you. So before I go ask a mod to delete all the posts that don't pertain to the subject, how about we can it and get back to the topic.

Again. There are some that may feel that the rear brake has a purpose in emergency braking situations. I do not except when debris is present. The original poster did get it right when he said practice practice, and eventually he will make up his own mind. I encourage him to master the front first as a majority of your normal stopping power is there. After he gets good with that, go ahead and tap the back to see what happens at different loads - but be VERY CAREFUL.

Bravo! :thumbsup:

No no no Knight that's not what I meant. The below screenshot is what I saw on the screen. I thought it was supposed to show me the colors for the different quotes, but that's not what came out on the screen. If you were showing me the text representation of what to do, then AGAIN I was not effective in communicating that. I was laughing because it looked like you were trying to show me and it didn't work - not as an insult but that it really was funny. I know when I'm trying to show someone how to do something and it doesn't work I kinda feel DUH about it and laugh it off and try again.

So, to try again: THANK YOU FOR ATTEMPTING TO SHOW ME HOW TO DO THAT!!!:beerchug:
Oh, please accept my apology then. I purposely "Broke" the quotes so that it wouldn't color and hide the code that needs to move around. Sorry I didn't convey that.

I guess you take the ignorance is bliss route :laugh: That's cool, whatever floats your boat. But do not endanger new riders who do not know better because you yourself are obviously deficient.
Keep calling me names. You're a long way off from the worst I've been called.

There's two sides to this coin. If he goes your route, resulting in him never locking the rear causing a dump then he's good. If he goes my route, does it right, gains an extra ten feet of stopping distance and stops two feet short of that truck that turned in front of him then he's good. In all reality it's up to him to choose what works for him. But understand there's no absolutes in this world. Telling him absolutely no is wrong.

Plus it varies wildly by bike. My wife's Ninja 250 doesn't have enough front brake power to lift the rear, least not with me on it. The rear brake is very effective in every situation on that bike. My Buell had pretty weak rear brakes, you could hammer them in an emergency and still not lock the rear however that ZTL2 front could stop a freight train with two fingers.

That's why it's always best to practice practice practice!

Keep calling me names. You're a long way off from the worst I've been called.

Are you delusional? I am not calling you names? Saying you take the ignorance route and calling you mentally deficient is not name calling.... You get way too butt hurt too easy and your definition of "name calling" is obviously way off too.

People in general are way too sensitive and need to stop being such little girls. That was an off topic short rant.

You can poke at me all you want. I'm tuf, I can take it. The bottom line is, you are a new riders worst nightmare. Full of all sorts of bogus BS that some who don't know any better may believe. I will ware out more brake pads this season than you will wear out in your life time. And you want to lecture me on braking. Please, spare me! :please:

Easy there captain butthurt, don't think I lectured you in braking at all, just pointing out there is a minimal place on the track for rear brakes instead of rookies in a parking lot, or are you saying they never touch the rear brake?

Your right you will wear out more brake pads than me, our priorities are in a different place.

Happy motoring

On a serious note, how do we predict whats coming up? How can we say the front brake is the end all on the street when the street are full of imperfections. I think a bigger part of the picture is what is discussed in the pace, while riding fast is fun, ride within yours and your machines limits. Stay vigilant is the best thing, then maybe you'll gain a few feet of early response and stop in time.

I'll agree with getting slightly OT with some of the posts, but save for my diplomatic post ( which didn't work all that well :p ) I find it amusing.
Thing is, for different people they will have things that work better for them.
Not that it's the "right" way or the "wrong" way to do it, nor that they can't improve their technique, but it's to the individual.

There has been some really valuable information in here for me, and I appreciate that you all gave some advice.
More often than not, I ride like I'm being chased by Rambo, but occasionally I stick to the limits :p
I get out there, crank it up and slow down. From 170, 120, 100, 70, 50kmh, etc. Because I need to know how much to apply, how fast I need to brake, and where I'm going to end up.

Despite speeding at upto 70kmh, I believe that the best 'emergency braking' is noticing hazards in your way before they become an 'emergency'.
I'm not scared of crashing or being injured, but I can't afford to repair my bike. (And I really, really like it when it's ride-able).

Cheers guys/gals :)
Y

I would REALLLLLY encourage you to try at trackday or two. 100% legal to ride as fast as you can stand it.

Easy there captain butthurt, don't think I lectured you in braking at all, just pointing out there is a minimal place on the track for rear brakes instead of rookies in a parking lot, or are you saying they never touch the rear brake?

Your right you will wear out more brake pads than me, our priorities are in a different place.

Happy motoring

My apologies! That post was intended for Sknight who's ambition seems to outweigh his abilities by a considerable margin.

Always use both brakes...always. I learned that from motorcross racing back in the day! I don't worry about locking the front much, very hard to do on the busa with the extra weight and like the person above me said, if you practice the progressive squeez the tires have a chance to bite and the front suspension has a chance to load up, thus almost eliminating the chance of a flip. The rear tire is a different animal, it likes to lock occasionally under emergency braking, if this happens LEAVE IT LOCKED UP!!! Wearing a littlle spot in your tire is much better than high siding on your bike due to the rear tire regaining traction while you are sliding a little sideways. A while back going to SPORTCUSTOMS house, following my GPS, my street suddenly turned into a dirt road! I managed to go from 80 to 0 very quickly thanks to practice, and proper braking procedures, and kept it upright despite, yes, the rear tire getting locked! :beerchug:

sorry to interfere ,but how somme of u guys tells to an inexperienced biker to fully engage rear brake in a such of circumstance ( emergency brake - that is supposed to be at enough speed,otherwise it is not an emergency). Plus you encourage him to keep rear brake locked if this happen ?!! High side occurs if the bike is starting to slide to one side then tire regrip; and bike slide to one side because of rear wheel being locked by brake or too much lean. Keeping rear wheel locked is a more than sure of a crash and a high side starter. Imediately de-lock rear brake if this happen,then re-angage-it again how many times u can or u have time. Never lock the rear wheel,this should be in the "10 commands" of 2 wheels riding.

Back