Mototeck emergency!!!

shimmyz

Donating Member
Registered
I finally got my undertail from the group buy today. I shouldn't have even messed with it today. I have the flu and missed work today but I just couldn't wait any longer to get this thing on. Anyhow here's my problem.

I got everything trimmed and the tail put in place. Next the wiring. This is where everything goes to hell. I cut connectors off the brake light and turn signals. This way there was no cutting of the bikes wiring harness.

Wired up the tail to the turn signal connectors,plugged them in , they worked fine.

Next the brake/running lights.

I don't have a multimeter or a shop manual so I guessed at the wires. I stared at the stock tail light for a minute and came up with the following.
-running light = black wire with white stripe
-brake light = white wire with black stripe
-ground = brown

I wired it up this way and they don't work. I figured I had it backwards and changed the brake and running light wires. Still nothing. Only this time I must have blown a fuse. Now the turn signals and intrument cluster does't work. I only had the wires twisted together. I'm thinking one of the wires shorted and blew the fuse.

First, if it is was a fuse where is it located?
Second , Do I have it wired right? What am I doing wrong?

BTW my bike is an '05

Thanks, Josh

Fuse Block is under the left (as your sitting on it) upper panel. Almost directly below where your clutch hand is. There should be a spare 10 and 15 amp fuse in the bottom of the block and it is well marked. You really need a multimeter for that kind of work. Good luck with the project.

Josh,
Check your fuses under the front left inner fairing. I'll get back to you on the wires. I gotta go and look cause mine is running through an integrator now...

Thanks for your responces.
MC Mustang, I'm hoping you can get the wire colors for me. Thanks

The more I think about this I think black with white is the ground. And brown is the running light.
The bikes in my dad's garage so I won't find out until tomorrow.

yeah you got the lines crossed.  Brown is not negative.  Black/white is GROUND and brown is running light.

<!--EDIT|Big E
Reason for Edit: None given...|1143269478 -->

I have a picture of someone wiring up there undertail and i used it on my 05 last night after verification with my multimeter and it worked flawlessly....

the yellow wires from the brake lights go to the white w/black stripe on the stock connector BRAKE LIGHTS

the red wires go to the brown wire on the stock connector RUNNING LIGHTS

the green wires go to the black w/white stripe on the stock connector GROUND

if i could post the pic i would but i cant seem to get it unattached from the word document i saved it in...

<!--EDIT|TSgt
Reason for Edit: "forgot something"|1143299690 -->

I finally got my undertail from the group buy today. I shouldn't have even messed with it today. I have the flu and missed work today but I just couldn't wait any longer to get this thing on. Anyhow here's my problem.

I got everything trimmed and the tail put in place. Next the wiring. This is where everything goes to hell. I cut connectors off the brake light and turn signals. This way there was no cutting of the bikes wiring harness.

Wired up the tail to the turn signal connectors,plugged them in , they worked fine.

Next the brake/running lights.

I don't have a multimeter or a shop manual so I guessed at the wires. I stared at the stock tail light for a minute and came up with the following.
-running light = black wire with white stripe
-brake light = white wire with black stripe
-ground = brown

I wired it up this way and they don't work. I figured I had it backwards and changed the brake and running light wires. Still nothing. Only this time I must have blown a fuse. Now the turn signals and intrument cluster does't work. I only had the wires twisted together. I'm thinking one of the wires shorted and blew the fuse.

First, if it is was a fuse where is it located?
Second , Do I have it wired right? What am I doing wrong?

BTW my bike is an '05

Thanks, Josh
White with Large black wire is ground
Brown is running lights
white small stripe is break

<!--EDIT|BusaSamurai
Reason for Edit: None given...|1143300943 -->

DSC02777.JPG

Thanks alot guys for the help. I'm heading up to my dad's now to get this SOB fixed. I'll take some pics when it's done.

Back