Group RIDE FIRST WEEK IN JUNE

Loomis

Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Registered
Just throwing it Out there. It gives all of us in the area to try to figure out a ride somewhere. Lets look for some different Events in NC or VA that weekend. And who can make the ride, I figure it give us about 3 weeks to plan SOMETHING. I'll speak to everybody soon.
Jon(Loomis).

I'll be coming back from Disney on that Saturday but more than willing to do one the Saturday before or that following Sunday.....Anybody?

What is this road I hear about in NC. It's called something like "striped snake" Hwy 421 outside of Boone...

Anyone know of this road?
rock.gif

Anyone???

Anyone???

Im not sure yet, Depends on where we decide on going, and what time we will get back this time, lol, I'll let you know as the planning continues

FOUND THIS FROM GOOGLE.

THE STRIPED SNAKE

Tail of the Dragon recently took a day off to tour the Shady Valley area which is located just to the east of Bristol , Tennessee . US 421 just east of the intersection with TN91/TN133 has been given various names by riders "¦. The Striped Snake and Motorcycle Playground. Some riders compare this section of road to the Dragon but we found it fell far short in many respects.

We began our journey on our KLR650s in Elizabethton where we made a quick stop at the covered bridge built in 1882 over the Doe River .

We then headed north on 91 through the small communities of Hunter and Carter bordering the Cherokee National Forest . Not much going on here, but after about 16 miles of rural yawning the road suddenly rises into the forest and gets your attention. The pavement is broken, heaved and badly patched, but we like challenges. One side of the road is rock cliff and the other side a drop-off making the Dragon look tame. Not only are there metal railings in many spots, but one section has just the posts - teeth ready to chew up any rider sliding into them. This is not a place for knee dragging, losing concentration or getting run off the road by another vehicle. Two miles of this and we cross the Appalachian Trail and begin the descent into Upper Shady Valley .

After a couple of interesting curves the road quickly flattens into the valley floor with bucolic views of farms with distant mountains in the background. The center of the Shady Valley community is at the crossroads of US421 and TN91. The small store known as the Country Store offers fuel, food, and rocking chairs on the front porch. We passed on the food hoping to find a more appetizing place up the road.

Heading north on TN133 there are several more miles of straight asphalt and farmlands. Finally we find a few sweepers leading once again into the forest. A scenic stop on 133 is the Backbone Rock Tunnel. The 20-foot tunnel was carved in 1901 to allow passage of trains carrying timber. It just may be the shortest tunnel in the world as claimed by the locals. This is a great place to stop and have a picnic lunch. There is also a campground located just north of the picnic areas. Nancy hiked up to the top of the Backbone while I explored Beaverdam Creek.

Continuing north on TN133 we crossed into Virginia and arrived in the town of Damascus . We stopped at the Baja Café hoping to find a good lunch, but the place was a little too authentic to its south of the border name for us. Dot's Inn on 91 was supposed to be a good biker diner, but it was closed. The Damascus Old Mill Restaurant was only open Wednesday through Saturday, so we parked near Laurel Creek and watched the ducks and geese while eating a quick snack we had brought just in case. Guess Mondays isn't the best time to ride if eating is a requirement.
Since Nancy is an avid bicyclist we made a quick stop at JC's Outdoors, one of the bicycle rental places in Damascus . The Creeper Trail is one motorless ride that I might even be interested in taking one day. The 17-mile bicycle trail follows the old railroad bed through the Jefferson National Forest . Rent a bike, catch the shuttle to the top of the mountain, then coast just about the entire way down (2-3 hours). CLICK HERE FOR INFO

We scooted south on VA91/TN91 ( Mountain City Highway ) for a few miles into Tennessee before deciding to turn around and run US58 east. This turned out to be a great ride through the Jefferson National Forest - mostly sweepers through the woods, but good enough to wake Nancy up. After 22 miles we took a right onto VA751 ( Sturgills Road ) and entered North Carolina . The scenery on US58 and VA751 is mostly Christmas tree farms. Must be a good business because these farms are everywhere on the hillsides.

At Sturgills we hung a right on NC194 passing through the backwoods towns of Lansing and Bina. At Warrensville we took a right onto NC88 which turned out to be a great twisty ride through the county. We did hit a short patch of loose gravel on a newly paved section once we reentered Tennessee . We then turned right onto the four-lane US421.

After Mountain City the four-lane turns into two and we were soon on what is known as The Striped Snake. The really twisty section is only about 4 miles in length. The pavement is good, but the corners are repetitious, lacking the variety of the Dragon. Locals claim 489 curves in a 12-mile radius, but this must include the driveways too from what we saw.

At the crossroads we headed back south towards Elizabethton on TN91. This pass we enjoyed the dangers of the descent over the tricky two-mile stretch with posts like gaping teeth.

SUMMARY:
TOTAL MILES FOR THE DAY "“ 153 miles
STATES COVERED "“ Three states, Tennessee , Virginia , North Carolina
HIGHLIGHTS "“ The lesser rated back roads

We recommend these roads to cars, touring bikes and cruisers looking for good sightseeing roads. We wish we had more time to explore the really back roads a little bit more. The KLRs are great for getting deeper into the backwoods even though we have them set-up for the street.

Sportbikes can have some fun on US421, but the good sections are short.

Motorcycle friendly camping at Switchback Creek Motorcycle Campground near Shady Valley CLICK HERE

http://www.cherrypoint.usmc.mil

MCAS Cherry Point Air Show
6/6/2008 - 6/8/2008
Buckle up and strap in because it's time for NC's largest air show to take off. We are pleased to announce that the US Navy Blue Angels will be returning in 2008 as our premiere act. We look forward to seeing you there!

Address:
Roosevelt Blvd.
Cherry Point, NC 28533

Time:
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

URL:
http://www.cherrypointairshow.com

Telephone Number(s):
Business Phone: (866)946-4762

General Information:
AdmissionCharge: Free

GeneralContact: Bob Kenward

GroupTradeContact: Bob Kenward

DrivingDirections: From I-95 follow US Hwy 70 East to Havelock. Cherry Point is located just outside of Havelock off of US Hwy 70.

Zoom LevelPrint Map

Country State City Street

Terms of Use
Get Directions From:

e.g.(101 Mystreet City State 00000)

HERES SOMETHING FOR SAT JUN 7.

First Weekend?  You mean 7th and 8th?  I mis read that and thought it was the last weekend (idiot).  I'm up for something the 7th for sure!  That 421 isn't really that great I don't think.  Lived in Johnson City, TN and take that every time I visit the parents, so if that's what you guys wanna do we can always ride up 421 and back on Hwy 321 or Hwy 181?  let's get something together for sure!  I'm still up for a beach run sometime too!  
whistling.gif

I'm down for what ever..... Boone is a long ride. if we're going that far we might as well do the dragon.
don't leave out S.C.

Hey Punisher, I meant the 7th or 8th, whatever day we can get more people to ride. Im down for the the races the rock. I also posted the Air show and CherryPoint. I would prefer to ride on the SAT 7th.
Jon(loomis).

I'm up for any time on the 7th for sure. The 8th for me will have to be after church time around 1:30ish leaving here. Anybody else?

Back