GregBob is a handful!

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
I got in my very first track day on Friday and my first chance to ride with the infamous "GrebBob" this year. He has traveled to the sunny state of California for a number of track days this spring already so he got the jump on me (Dammit).

Now that he has that new GSXR1000 he seems to have let his busa take a back burner but still brings her to the track just in case she is needed for a backup.

So the day was sunny but a bit cool in the morning but by noon it was in the low sixties and life began to look up. I was late arriving so I didn't get out until late morning for a couple of warm up sessions. Had to put fresh rubber on and installed a set of EBC Extreme Pro brake pads. Was my first experience with these pads but found them to be S-W-E-E-T. Not a lot more braking power but the feel was incredible. They work wonderfully well for stoppies just in case there are any curious minds out there?

After lunch the GregBob and I made a plan to play. I had warmers, Greg did not so I let him go out first to get a warmup lap in and I'd catch him on the second lap. I only had to wait about 15 seconds at the entry and here comes Greg all laid over through turn 9 like he is pissedoff. So I slip out behind him and let him gain about half the length of the front straight by the time he hit turn one. I'll be damned if it didn't take me two laps to catch the bastid! I'm thinking to myself "Shiitz" who lit a fire under his arse. This guy is cooking. And when I did eventually catch up to him, I found he was going through turn one with the throttle pinned. Now let me tell you from experience, it takes balls to keep a big bike pinned through turn one. You are fookin flying and you can put you knee on the ground at a buck seventy. I'm thinking to myself, GregBob has lost his marbles, lunny toons, goofy, maybe just fell off a bar stool and cracked his head but something is wrong with this guy? I don't think I have ever seen a guy without a race number hit turn one on a liter bike with the throttle pinned? I think GregBob has found his nitch! :bowdown:

I followed behind him for the rest of the session and learned if I was going to pass him I'd have to muster up some evil intent! All of a sudden the GregBob has become "Quick"! When I arrived back at the pits, I found myself wiping the sweat from my face and neck with a clean towel. As I wiped the sweat from my brow, I'm thinking "Man, I'm way to old for this sh*tz".

The thought that crossed my mind was "I think those days of toying with GregBob are gone forever and now it has become serious work". I am extemely proud of Greg for what he has accomplished in such a short time. It took me a hellofa lot longer to advance that far and I had much better instruction.

Hat's off to you dude! :beerchug:
03-26-09042.jpg

Also, Greg took a fancy to the Bridgestone BT002RS tires. Although I have not been on them even though I have a set in the garage awaiting their chance for a spankin, I was EXTREMELY impressed with their performance on Greg's Gixxer1K. He was romping those things pretty hard and acquiring some serious lean and not even so much as a twitch from the 002's. I have long been a fan of the Dunlop Qualifier and until yesterday I was convinced this was the best street/track tire available. However, the Q may have to move over to make room for this homogenized race tire from Bridgestone called the BT002 Race/Street? For you track junkies, I think it may be worth your time to try a set of these very capable tires. You canyon carvers can't go wrong with them either. I give them a big :thumbsup:

:beerchug:

OH MAN! Great write-up! Trackdays rule. Can't wait to trackday with you guys.

I've always wanted to do a track day. But never enough money in the wallet to cover the cost. But one day I will find a way.

The liter bike is nice. Love the color.

Good day huh? :laugh: I too like the feel of the HH Extreme.. (not for newbs for sure)

as for the BT002RS, do not get too attached.. According to my supplier of them, they are supposed to be discontinued.. (BT003RS is new replacement)

I think I can get another weekend out of my current 002's but ordered another set just in case :) now, were are the track pics? :)

We were at Seattle Raceway!

Wasn't Greg's first track day, just the first track day we spent together this year.

Bridgestone says they hope to have the 003 out by June, but we'll see? I have one set o 002's waiting. If the 003's are any better, you can use them for race days as well, I'd say? What seprates the track tire from a race tire is how it responds to heat. Those extra 3-4 seconds a lap seems to create lots more heat. I'm sure the 002 would become a bit loose in a hot race. For a Street tire it may be hard to beat. Plus it's less money than PP's, Q's or Pirelli. About the same money for the BTO15 which may be a better option for the streets since it's sure to have a bit more life.

We were at Seattle Raceway!

Wasn't Greg's first track day, just the first track day we spent together this year.

Bridgestone says they hope to have the 003 out by June, but we'll see? I have one set o 002's waiting. If the 003's are any better, you can use them for race days as well, I'd say? What seprates the track tire from a race tire is how it responds to heat. Those extra 3-4 seconds a lap seems to create lots more heat. I'm sure the 002 would become a bit loose in a hot race. For a Street tire it may be hard to beat. Plus it's less money than PP's, Q's or Pirelli. About the same money for the BTO15 which may be a better option for the streets since it's sure to have a bit more life.
The BT003RS is available now.. (trackside) :) I just did not want to spend $400, the $275 for the 002 was a lot more appealing..

Not sure if you remember but I ran the 002 for a bit at Bash.. For the street and my riding? the Q is just fine as was the 016.. (both better tires than I am a rider)

Last edited:
When I grow up I wanna ride just like Tuf and Gregbob:laugh::laugh::bowdown:

Damn Bogus, 400 clams for the 003's? Are you sure they are not a full blown track tire? If that's the price for the 002 replacement, I think I'll go back to the Q's. For $450 you can buy a set of Dunlops 211NT's. Most of the really fast race guys up here are now on the NTs and love em. I can't get over the price on the 003s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tuf, sounds like you are HOME. Great writeup. Jeez, if YOU have to work to catch him, Gregbob must be a bat outta hell! I was just lucky to get out for about 2 hours today between the rain, but still fun. Got some more video to post later; I ground off that dang case slider again :(

Bogus, I think that is the 003 DOT race tire, not the RS version? Am I correct?

yep skydivr, the GregBob has sprouted his wings and found what the throttle is all about. GregBob is doing far better than average. I never witnessed a single soul on a streetbike passing him. Although I did out brake him once into turn two just to put him in his place <Snicker-Snicker>

I'm sure there will be some photos available soon from our fun day at the track :cheerleader:

You know, it reminds me of the "Old Bull, Young Bull story :)

I hate to say it Steve but.... your post title sounds kinda ghey :laugh:

Back