Grab bar mod

dewie

Registered
I have searched on the forum and can't find it for the life of me. Anybody have a link to do the grab bar/ hump mod so you can have the grab bar on with the hump on at the same time. I know you just trim out the hump a bit but a review would be nice before I start. For a gen 1. Searching on my phone isn't working. Thanks fellas.

Look for hump mod...

It is fairly simply though, using a dremel, you are trimming the hump to fit over the grab bar. Tape the inside and mark where you want to trim, the tape will help present the plastic from burning through.

After I buy me a new hump. I'll need to do this mod too. I didn't realize there was a mod to do it.

Do the search, but it's extremely easy or would have to be. I just remove my grab rail, that's my hump mod :laugh:

Ah, i just reread the post. You have to shave the outter side. "makes sense I guess" i just dont think its worth doing that to add the bar.

HA! If we lived next door, maybe. I'm guessing that they are not the same color...between painting and shipping to Canada...probably cheaper to buy a used one from ebay :laugh:

I had an 02 that I did this to , I liked it. Put the grab bar on , lay the hump on and line it up , mark where outside edge hits bar, I used a file to trim the slot (its not very deep,1/4 to3/8 inch) don,t file to much, try several times. I left about an1/8 clearence top and both sides. Easy mod.

This is a mod that I never understood.....

Why ruin a perfectly good hump, just to keep from having to R&R the grab handle?

Maybe it is becaue I installed the grab handle one time, on my first Busa, and the wife said it made no difference to her. I have never installed it again. I personally do not like the look of the grab bar installed with the hump, you cannot make it fit perfect, and when you take the handle off, you have a huge gap.

I guess that is why no two bikes are alike, cause we all like different stuff:thumbsup:

I had been wondering about this mod for some time but now that i see how it's done I'll pass. What is that bar for anyway? Remember I'm still a noob to motorcycles so it's not that stupid of a question! LOL I had thought it was for the passenger to hang onto but when I imagine it it seems like a person would fly off when you hit the gas.

Yeah I live in Canada and shipping stuff across the border is costly and timely. Takes atleast 2 weeks and easily a extra $2o for border fee's. On my 05 I never did the hump mod and was like most of you who didn't like. But after a semi truck ran me over on the Bus and left me paralyzed from the armpits down me and a good friend modified a 07 busa so I can ride again. The hump mod makes it easier for me to get on and off the bike and when I move the bike around in the garage I need a solid grab point to push or pull it around. I did a few mods to my bike that most people don't like( lowering it, crash bars) but I need it set up the way I want it so it's functional for me and me only. It's 98% finished it and put 400k on it last year but I'll post up pics and details on it in the spring. Thanks for the help fellers..

We need some before and after pics. Id like to see it before i cut into my hump. The idea of just throwing on a seat when i need it tickles me a little.

Now your reasoning makes great sense!:thumbsup:

Sorry to hear of your accident, but it was super cool of your friend to help you get back on a bike again!:beerchug:

I had been wondering about this mod for some time but now that i see how it's done I'll pass. What is that bar for anyway? Remember I'm still a noob to motorcycles so it's not that stupid of a question! LOL I had thought it was for the passenger to hang onto but when I imagine it it seems like a person would fly off when you hit the gas.

Passenger grab handle yes, but most of the time I used it to help put it on the rear stand.

....I personally do not like the look of the grab bar installed with the hump, you cannot make it fit perfect, and when you take the handle off, you have a huge gap...

Really? Huge? Come on now, since when is a 1/2" tall slot huge? Do it correctly and there is no reason to be any bigger than what is in the picture.

DSCN0359.jpg

.... What is that bar for anyway?....

The grab bar also gives you two additional frankenstein bolts that come in handy to tie down luggage and stuff. The bar can also be very useful when you need to push the bike around in the garage. And at sometime you will end up finding yourself parked down hill in a parking spot and that bar will give someone a solid hold to pull you backwards out of the parking spot. If you don't have the bar then think of what piece of plastic is going to be grabbed on to pull you backwards?

IMG_1991.jpg

To the OP. I just eyeballed it, no tape, no markers, just a dremmel and 30 minutes. Done deal, one cheap mod that I use often.

Really? Huge? Come on now, since when is a 1/2" tall slot huge? Do it correctly and there is no reason to be any bigger than what is in the picture.

The grab bar also gives you two additional frankenstein bolts that come in handy to tie down luggage and stuff. The bar can also be very useful when you need to push the bike around in the garage. And at sometime you will end up finding yourself parked down hill in a parking spot and that bar will give someone a solid hold to pull you backwards out of the parking spot. If you don't have the bar then think of what piece of plastic is going to be grabbed on to pull you backwards?

To the OP. I just eyeballed it, no tape, no markers, just a dremmel and 30 minutes. Done deal, one cheap mod that I use often.

Stage 2 with luggage, you just don't like being typical, do ya? :lol:

Back