Grab bar...

PaNDeM1C

Your Disease.....
Donating Member
Registered
Ok, it's been widely "whispered" that I hate the grab bar on with the hump on. Ok. Well... it's a fact. The bike was designed to have the bar on with the seat on and off with the hump on. I like it that way... and I agree w/ Suzuki.

But... what purpose does the grab bar serve anyway? What?

Is it the for a passenger to use? If that's the case, then why do people want it mounted on the bike with the hump? The only reason I can come up with is that they want the grab bar mounted at all times so they can keep it there without having to remove it if they want to put the seat on for a passenger.

Right?

I'm not making fun of anyone or trying to start an "issue". I'm just wondering what the function of the grab bar really is on a Hayabusa! That's all. So, to end this.... what functin does the grab bar serve for a passenger? I've never taken a passenger on my busa or even had the rear seat on.... so I'm seriously curious why the grab bar was even invented/implemented on the busa to begin with.

Thanks for reading... as always!

It is used by a passenger to hold on to, also is used to help strap down any luggage
such as a large tailbag, and you can use it to help raise the bike on a rear stand...with the hump on
if you do the Mod
wink.gif

I have told you before that it is a spoiler. Keeps more downforce on the rear tire. But really, it does come in handy when putting the bike on a rear stand. The busa is full of things that people don't really need, but that is why we bought one.

removing and re-intstalling the bar everytime you change setups can be a hassle....it's just quicker to leave it in place....and that also decreases the chances of loosing any of those washers that go in there.

personally, I like having the bar one all the time to help with getting the bike up on the rear stand..... I don't always use my baxley to hold the bike.

I have told you before that it is a spoiler. Keeps more downforce on the rear tire. But really, it does come in handy when putting the bike on a rear stand. The busa is full of things that people don't really need, but that is why we bought one.
Thanks for the straight-up reply.

But I'm wondering... do passengers really use the bar? Or do they mainly just hold on to the rider?

Again.... I've never taken on a passenger on my busa so I'm a virgin in that area!

Thanks 300!

removing and re-intstalling the bar everytime you change setups can be a hassle....it's just quicker to leave it in place....and that also decreases the chances of loosing any of those washers that go in there.

personally, I like having the bar one all the time to help with getting the bike up on the rear stand..... I don't always use my baxley to hold the bike.
... another great reason. I'm understanding its purpose more and more... even though I still don't like the look of it when the hump is on.

Thanks.

Yes, the passengers use the bar. Mainly when braking. During acceleration they are generally holding on to me with both hands for dear life.

When sitting at a light I've noticed they sometimes reach back and feel it. It's like a security blanket being there.

I also use the bar to attach my net to hold small stuff. 4 hooks on the frankenstein's and 2 on the bar. Works well.

I didn't cut the hump. To me it just doesn't look right. But I have a lovely garage and somewhere to put the washers when not in use. I think I've ran with the hump on twice in the year I've had the beastie. Usually someone wants to ride on the back.

My wife does hold on to it. She is one of the very few passengers that I have ever seen use it. I don't like it when she does it, because it doesn't stop her from falling off the back at all under acceleration.

I could get the bar hump mod done if I wanted to.... just on the fence. Because if I really hated it (like I do now) there's no turning back (unless I buy another hump). But thanks for the replies so far. I can now see the "need" for the bar on with a passenger....

And yeah... I understand it's easier to leave the bar on at all times IF you like using the hump, too...

Right now I have no chick who wants to ride on back (AKA no sprare helmet), so I've never bothered applying the back seat yet. But I might just do it one day to give my bike a different look. I like that about it (sorry 14 owners! you have only ONE look).....

I keep the hump on when the wife isn't riding. She thinks it is because I am a good boy....but really it is because I like the looks of it a lot more.

PD, just had this discussion at a Bike Night tonight (the one in Clearwater, FL featured on Sportbikes!).  We came to the conclusion that the bar is absolutely useless for a passenger.  They...umm she, better be holding onto you and not relying on the bar to save her from taking a pratfall off the back.

And yes, I keep the hump on all the time w/out the wife...sets the bike apart.  Only the Tobin seats can make the bike look good w/ the passenger seat.  I did the hump mod for storage as well and works great and cheap.

<!--EDIT|Over_Easy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155190216 -->

The hum mod is just decoration. I think a chrome one on yours would be tits. Its like a sportbike version of a sissy bar.

<!--EDIT|Kweave
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155190103 -->

bike_updates_002__Small_.jpg

So far.... my conclusion is that the bar is really not needed at all... but looks good when the rear seat is on...

So... for now... I will not be doing the mod. If/when I have a woman that will ride w/ me day to day... it will be in a box and be ready for a quick and easy installation..........

Thanks to all of you for your replies..... that's why the .org is king along w/ the busa!!!!

smile.gif

.... some call the busa "queen"... but that's another story.

<!--EDIT|PaNDeM1C
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155192307 -->

I don't put the grab bar on w/the seat.Besides if anyone grabs on when accellerating I would think they would fly off the back. My hump is on most of the time anyway it looks better that way in my opinion.I do put it on though if I need to carry anything that won't fit in my tank bag.

When I ride, I use a jansport backpack. It has room enough to carry a 12pack of Pepsi or whatever drink you desire.... along with another section for another 12pack (but you better be strong enough and ready to take on that load...). I love my backpack and it works great and looks great... and it's a named brand so kids who get lucky enough to see my back up close can see they got the right one!!!! Backpacks are great and are better than taking your car or buying saddle bags if you plan to haul home minimal weight. Saddle bags are for long trips to carry clothes..... not for day to day use on a Busa!!! = my thoughts.

Yeah... I pre-posted!!! You said tank bag and not saddle bag... my bad!!!

Anyway, how much crap can actually fit in a tank bag?

Back