New Grab Bar, Need to Modify Hump?

HayabusaEPT

Registered
I just purchased a new "oh poop" handle(grab bar). I was about to install it when I noticed the seat hump didn't have clearance for the grab bar.
rock.gif
 My bike did not come with one.  It is an 01.  DO I have to modify the hump so the grab bar can fit?
crazy.gif
If so, what is the best way to cut it?  Any other suggestions would help.  Thanks guys

<!--EDIT|HayabusaEPT
Reason for Edit: None given...|1074936305 -->

Yes you have to modify it.  Some of the guys have done it with a Dremel type tool and the small drum sander.  I did mine with that.  You have to measure, and then "cut" a little, then measure some more.  You don't want to cut too much.  
Here's mine:
Jeez! I shoudda looked at the pic first, yes the bike's dirty and has fingerprints all over it, but hey, you get the idea.

<!--EDIT|Big O
Reason for Edit: "crappy pic comment"|1074937043 -->

Custom_Hump_Finished_L.jpg

yeah I would like to do that but I can't bring myself to cutting on my girl.. :blush:

yeah I would like to do that but I can't bring myself to cutting on my girl.. :blush:
Travis, It is no big deal to cut the grooves for the grab bar. Just mark your lines and take your time. Remove a little at a time and check when you get close. If you remove your hump and use seat very often, you will enjoy not having to remove the grab bar every time. I was hesitant at first also but after doing it, it was easy. Bob

Just did mine last weekend.
I purchased a chrome grabbar and wanted it on all the time.
It is easy to do, just take your time. Like everyone said.
Put the bar on and set the hump on, mark the place where the bar hits the hump and slowly start cutting. I used a dremel tool, took about an hour, I took my time.
Cut, fit/test, cut, fit/test, cut.......well you get the idea.

Good luck

Ride safe

Might just be me but when I swap out the seat and handle for the hump it takes all of about two minutes...So the hump mod thing really makes no sense accept from a looks perspective... and I am not sure about the looks... I haven't decided yet that i really need a "wing" back there when I have the hump on.

I just purchased a new "oh poop" handle(grab bar). I was about to install it when I noticed the seat hump didn't have clearance for the grab bar.
rock.gif
 My bike did not come with one.  It is an 01.  DO I have to modify the hump so the grab bar can fit?
crazy.gif
If so, what is the best way to cut it?  Any other suggestions would help.  Thanks guys
Oh and just a thought but the grabhandle was never intended to be used with the hump, so it is not just your Busa, they all come just like yours, needing to be notched...

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1074993134 -->

REVLIS you must have a spped drill are something, takes me at least 5 minutes
biggrin.gif
. I decided to do the mod for convience sake, and I think it looks pretty cool. You be the judge

Here's my baby
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

I aquired a hump that needs notching. I actually took the grab bar off and have been riding passangers without it. They don't seem to mind. Seat looks a bit funny with the clearance notch for the bar.

Just have to make time to do it.

dezzy good lookn bike .... i was lucky i bought mine with the mod already done . glad he did it.
it is very convenient not having to take it off and put it on.
smile.gif

I don,t know about the rest of you, but if I have the pasanger seat on mine, I don,t want the Beooootch holding on to nothing but me!
biggrin.gif

I did the mod to mine. Used a Dremel tool and went slow. Not too hard to do. I just like the ease of using the key to switch between the hump/seat.

Travis, It is no big deal to cut the grooves for the grab bar. Just mark your lines and take your time. Remove a little at a time and check when you get close. If you remove your hump and use seat very often, you will enjoy not having to remove the grab bar every time. I was hesitant at first also but after doing it, it was easy.   Bob
I know I can handle it. I'm a whiz with a dremel. In college I got into computer modding. Cutting designs into the sides and such just as a hobby. I already own a dremel so I could do it, I just don't want to mess anything up and have to buy a new hump.

Travis, It is no big deal to cut the grooves for the grab bar. Just mark your lines and take your time. Remove a little at a time and check when you get close. If you remove your hump and use seat very often, you will enjoy not having to remove the grab bar every time. I was hesitant at first also but after doing it, it was easy.   Bob
I know I can handle it.  I'm a whiz with a dremel.  In college I got into computer modding.  Cutting designs into the sides and such just as a hobby.  I already own a dremel so I could do it, I just don't want to mess anything up and have to buy a new hump.
There's really nothing to mess up. Just take your time andit'll come out ok

You know, as soon as someone makes a kick ass Carbon fiber grabhandle with a slightly more dramatic design... I'll notch the hump. I am not knocking the mod really, I can see the appeal. I just do not have to swap back and forth often enough I guess to make the mod a practical necessity.

Back