Got pulled over for the first time

I don't care if I'm dragging his wifes pet cat behind me at 190mph.. he works for me..  I expect a little civility assuming I'm not being a #### anyway..

If I cop an attitude I would full expect it to be returned.. but if i'm all yes sir and whatnot.. he better be all mr. ego and whatnot..
Good luck with that. Please be sure and let us know how your dictating the cop's attitude works for you. I don't know about where you live, but where I grew up they had a quick remedy for people they deemed less than co-operative, regardless of what type of attitude they gave you. It's called flashlight therapy. Think 5 D-cell Maglite.........
Virginia.. about 1 hour east of Bristol Tennessee.. must be a big diff. in your cops and ours. Especially since i'm the only one that see's getting cussed at once.. let alone for 2 minutes to be a problem from a cop for no reason. .. And no.. I don't see a speeding ticket being a resonable excuse to be lectured, cussed, talked down to, or insulted by anybody.. especially self-important cop.

I'm pretty sure i would get whacked with the flashlight repeatedly.. lol I'm not saying I would fly off the handle or whatever.. but I would ask what exactly makes him think he has the right to talk to me as if I am beneath him..

maybe not in those exact words.. but I wouldn't just sit there and listen to the crap if there was no reason for it.

no wonder you yankees don't like cops.. ours must be the nice ones or something.

I don't care if I'm dragging his wifes pet cat behind me at 190mph.. he works for me..  I expect a little civility assuming I'm not being a #### anyway..

If I cop an attitude I would full expect it to be returned.. but if i'm all yes sir and whatnot.. he better be all mr. ego and whatnot..
Good luck with that. Please be sure and let us know how your dictating the cop's attitude works for you. I don't know about where you live, but where I grew up they had a quick remedy for people they deemed less than co-operative, regardless of what type of attitude they gave you. It's called flashlight therapy. Think 5 D-cell Maglite.........
Virginia.. about 1 hour east of Bristol Tennessee.. must be a big diff. in your cops and ours. Especially since i'm the only one that see's getting cussed at once.. let alone for 2 minutes to be a problem from a cop for no reason.  .. And no.. I don't see a speeding ticket being a resonable excuse to be lectured, cussed, talked down to, or insulted by anybody.. especially self-important cop.

I'm pretty sure i would get whacked with the flashlight repeatedly.. lol  I'm not saying I would fly off the handle or whatever.. but I would ask what exactly makes him think he has the right to talk to me as if I am beneath him..

maybe not in those exact words.. but I wouldn't just sit there and listen to the crap if there was no reason for it.

no wonder you yankees don't like cops.. ours must be the nice ones or something.
I grew up in Los Angeles. I now live in the sticks of Southern Illinois, where the cops are much nicer! I know what you mean about the cops respecting you, but I learned the hard way that they can pretty much do as they please....

I'm with you Ego. Can't really tolerate a condescending LEO but generally that bad mouth technique is used as bait by some in order to determine whether or not to issue a citation. The trick is not to get the normal right cross reflex (as in to the jaw). So, its all hush hush on my part using real eloquence when communicating with one. Then I go home and hit the speedbag until the fury is out of my body. Just don't need the ticket. Mind you once the ticket comes back I give him an earful because ****-it I am paying for it or going to court anyway. Oh yeah the last time I asked a cop to see his radar (Northern Virginia) he told me that I could see the print out in court if I wanted to.
rock.gif

By the way living in post war countries isn't bad if you ride a busa (when it comes to speeding). I have a video of my daily activities and I'll tell you even here you can hit some really impressive speeds. I try not to take advantage of my exemption from local law enforcement citations, but I FAIL MISERABLY EVERY DAY!
laugh.gif

I think i see where some of the differences are now.. maybe

I haven't had a ticket in aLOOOOONG time.. so unless i happen to get caught reeeeaally bustin asp I'm not all that concerned about 1 ticket so I won't do much butt kissin' (doesn't seem to work anyway.. hehe took me a few years to learn when/where it was resonably safe to speed when I was young) to get out of a ticket.

In virginia they will pretty much let you take a drivin' school and get out of most normal speedin' tickets anyway. They still get their court costs.. and the little court room croney "driving school instructor" 's get their money too.. so everybody is happy.. well 'cept the unlucky sob that got zapped in the first place.

I just don't feel that I would need any B/S to go along with something I'm not all that concerned about in the first place.

laugh.gif
That's not really very funny, but yet it is!
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Thats why I never leave home without my wallet.  Because in it is my identification as a Sheriff's Deputy and also a badge.  Is that fair, Hell No, but your not going to hear me complaining about it.
You're right, dude. It's not. Push the envelope a little farther and the next thing your drinking and driving, and getting pissy when you get pulled over and asked to do a field sobriety test.

Oh, I know, "F you, son! I'm responsible. I'd never do that." Well, you may not, and to give you the benefit of the doubt, you probably don't; but your train of logic is following that track.

When you're speeding, dude, you're speeding. I had this exact conversation a few months ago. You know what? When I worked traffic, if I happend to know you and you were a good guy, and all that, I might let you go once or even twice, LEO or not, depending on the circumstances of the stop.

Let me put it this way, I speed way in excess on my bike all the time on unpopulated or very low population roads...and I fully expect to be ticketed and/or charged with Recklessness if I get stopped by a patrolling unit. I even ride with guys at times where we all speed and ride agressively, but if we get stopped, we get stopped, and deal with it from there. If I get stopped and ticketed, or heaven forbid charged with Recklessness for speeding into that realm of "unsafe," I could lose my job. I don't think I would, but "dismissing" my butt would be an option...we take that chance when we ride because, I think, most of us are speed freaks and adrenaline junkies.

But back to the topic at hand...

I stop you, when I worked traffic, and you knowingly flash your fuggin badge or ID at me(or even worse, make it look like an accident), and expect me to go, "Oh, hey, man, my mistake." Or, "Oh, shid! You're an officer, too! That's cool then." That just pissed me off. Oh, yeah, and with some of the di@kwads I've worked with...I never really did "fit in." Go figure, right? I didn't expect favors because of my status and shid like that. Still don't and hopefully never will. The day I get the fuggin "God Syndrome" is the day I hope I have sense to get the fug out of Law Enforcement. By the by, a local copper over in Wautoma almost lost his job for doing just what you said in your post. Got stopped in Waupaca, did exactly what you said...and got ticketed anyway...and the Trooper who did the stop reported the officer's misconduct. Reilly, the Chief, wanted his officer's job...Unions can be wonderful, can't they? On the other hand, they can be hindering. I know that copper, and he's a great guy. He's a good officer and I respect his experience and skill, but I agree with the one side of the still ongoing debate...he should have taken the fuggin ticket, paid it, and dealt with the Chief. Reilly probably wouldn't have been nearly as pi$$ed.

To take this crazy train one step further, a drug detective here that I have become friends with, busted one of his own a few years ago. What was he supposed to do when he went to the buy and, oh fuggin low and behold, there is a good friend of his, another copper, participating in the sale...should he have just let that shid go...even though the other guy didn't fuggin drill him right then and there? Spared his life, his cover, every fuggin thing; knowing he was probably going to go down...should that detective have let the copper walk? Not said anything because of "The Code?" The fuggin code. That cop begged, he pleaded, he fuggin threatened. Well, in any case he's in prison now.

We all, me included, probably take little things for granted every day. Little perks here and there, this and that...but I never want to let that go too far, get out of hand. If I see a crime happening while I'm off duty, I am obligated to assist, to intervene, to arrest, use force if necessary...but sometimes officers go too far with the Cop 24/7 "thing."

Anyway, you're probably one hell of a guy and more than likely a great Deputy, too. I just don't agree with your "moral flexibility" so to speak.

<!--EDIT|Busa_05
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119993195 -->

Thats why I never leave home without my wallet.  Because in it is my identification as a Sheriff's Deputy and also a badge.
Police philosophy by Busa_05
You have a lot of really outstanding points and great examples. However it should probably have it's own thread.
I agree with everything you have said. But a reasonable degree of flexibility should be exercised as you have said you might let a fellow LEO of once or twice. I just think that "speeding" is a very malleable thing that is morphed and twisted to suit the particular municipalities economic goals.

i.e. You hire another deputy, that deputy gets a paycheck, that paycheck dips into municipal funds, those funds are depleted, you need to replenish the funds, so you lower speed limits in 'high risk' zones and you post a patrol unit there with a radar and wait. The cash register starts to ring so you have your fund replenished and a slight surplus, so you feel confident and hire another deputy then the cycle continues.........

Thats why I never leave home without my wallet.  Because in it is my identification as a Sheriff's Deputy and also a badge.
Police philosophy by Busa_05
You have a lot of really outstanding points and great examples. However it should probably have it's own thread.
I agree with everything you have said. But a reasonable degree of flexibility should be exercised as you have said you might let a fellow LEO of once or twice. I just think that "speeding" is a very malleable thing that is morphed and twisted to suit the particular municipalities economic goals.

i.e. You hire another deputy, that deputy gets a paycheck, that paycheck dips into municipal funds, those funds are depleted, you need to replenish the funds, so you lower speed limits in 'high risk' zones and you post a patrol unit there with a radar and wait. The cash register starts to ring so you have your fund replenished and a slight surplus, so you feel confident and hire another deputy then the cycle continues.........
Looks like the thread's been hijacked, Projekt.

Sorry Batman.
wink.gif

Back