pulled over for the first time, ever!

Most likely by the time he was able to get a radar lock on your bike he was so close to you that he did not get a straight shot at you oncoming but instead it was from more of an angle which will give a false reading on speed (usually higher)
Any angle other than straight on with radar will display a slower speed, never higher.

Radar measures how fast you are approaching the unit sending the signal. Any time you are not traveling directly at the unit, it reads slower because you are not approaching the unit as quickly as you are moving.

One other comment...I wouldn't be too keen on getting frisked for just speeding. WTF is up with that? The cop is nervous? Too fricken bad, he should get another job, not violate anyone's rights without due cause...

Blue1

anything more then 6 degrees of angle will read slightly slower...the more angle the slower the speed on radar..

i was harrassed just sittin on my bike at a conv. store.
pig pulls up "do you have a mc license?" he asks.
"well sure", i reply.
"can i see it?" is his next response.
i show it to him. he asks what i'm doing there. i tell him i'm waiting for my buddy.
he tells me to be sure to wear my lid (which was hanging off my rearview).
i tell him thats why it's there.
he took off.
wasn't that nice of him to be concerned about my safety
rock.gif

FTP

Glad to hear that you just got the warning!  
beerchug.gif
+1

Good manners go a long way.
Havinging boobs goes a long way too......
rofl.gif

rofl.gif

rofl.gif
Are you referring to getting "frisked"?

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Either way you get away without a ticket!!!!!
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
"Wiping coffee stains off of monitor"

rofl.gif

rofl.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I don't know what kind of radars you have in whatever state your in, but the one in my patrol car let me track 2 targets a one time either coming towards, going away or same direction and I can lock the faster target, so it is possible that he clocked you on radar.  Only thing that got me was that you said you were following another truck and car, so if you were following them is reasonable to think that you were "following with the speed of traffic" or within a mile or two, so you had to be doing real close to their speed, however, why he decided to single you out??? Probably just because the bike just looks fast as hell and said, yip, it was him..

As far as the pat down, I never do that unless the person is acting nervous (more then normal) or some sort of probable cause...Gratz on the warning...
I don't doubt the authenticity of what you "believe" is possible ("let me track 2 targets at one time") for your emitter/receiver but as a former Raytheon field service tech I can assure you that unless your running a phased array discriminator (your not) there is virtually no possibility your unit can discriminate between 2 objects of such significant profile disparity unless they are a great distance apart.

As for the rider what really bothers me is that you were targeted not by science but by profile, and you felt good about "just a warning". I'm not judging.....I'm just sayin'.

He did ask permission to frisk me, his exact words were "cause if you have a concealed weapon, I'd be toast, wouldn't I" and I said yea and gave him permission. I thought it was a reasonable request and I try to help them out as much as possible, so hopefully they will help me out by not giving me a ticket. I was definitely not over nervous or acting funny. And I forgot to mention that when he saw me, the truck, car, and I were all going around a bend in the road, so it seemed especially difficult for him to actually radar me since he was traveling in the bend going the opposite direction. And I think a big reason he pulled me was since I was in the crouched position. But oh well, I just got my bike inspected so if I ever do get pulled again, it won't be an extra fine.
thumb_up.gif

But if he did give me a ticket, I would have raised hell in court! And definitely brought in the science and stereotyping into it.

I don't know what kind of radars you have in whatever state your in, but the one in my patrol car let me track 2 targets a one time either coming towards, going away or same direction and I can lock the faster target, so it is possible that he clocked you on radar.  Only thing that got me was that you said you were following another truck and car, so if you were following them is reasonable to think that you were "following with the speed of traffic" or within a mile or two, so you had to be doing real close to their speed, however, why he decided to single you out??? Probably just because the bike just looks fast as hell and said, yip, it was him..

As far as the pat down, I never do that unless the person is acting nervous (more then normal) or some sort of probable cause...Gratz on the warning...
I don't doubt the authenticity of what you "believe" is possible ("let me track 2 targets at one time") for your emitter/receiver but as a former Raytheon field service tech I can assure you that unless your running a phased array discriminator (your not) there is virtually no possibility your unit can discriminate between 2 objects of such significant profile disparity unless they are a great distance apart.

As for the rider what really bothers me is that you were targeted not by science but by profile, and you felt good about "just a warning". I'm not judging.....I'm just sayin'.
I was thinking along the same lines. I spent 8 years in the military working on radars and associated equipment. Never did I see anything that could get two targets in close proximity.

The lack of irratation may have been helpful. But as was stated you were frisked for a speeding violation. Have you ever seen a person in a car get frisked for speeding? I have had a few tickets in my cage, never once did I have to get out so they could make sure I don't have a gun. I have a concealed handgun license, odds are I have one.

I was thinking along the same lines.  I spent 8 years in the military working on radars and associated equipment.  Never did I see anything that could get two targets in close proximity.

The lack of irratation may have been helpful.  But as was stated you were frisked for a speeding violation.  Have you ever seen a person in a car get frisked for speeding?  I have had a few tickets in my cage, never once did I have to get out so they could make sure I don't have a gun.  I have a concealed handgun license, odds are I have one.
How long you been out of service on servicing the radars?  I have a stalker dual and it has a faster slower button...select that while 2 targets are closing on you and it will show you the speed of both targets..the faster one will appear in the target lock window and the slower will be in the target window.  Patrol speed will be in its normal location.

Here is a link to stalkers web site..read on the left side where it says 3 window fastest speed tracking.  I "Believe" I know what i'm talking about.

http://www.stalkerradar.com/law_dual.shtml

3 Window Fastest Speed Tracking
Stalker's patented Fastest Speed Tracking assists the operator in making proper target identification by displaying both the Strongest and Fastest targets simultaneously on separate display windows.

How long you been out of service on servicing the radars?  I have a stalker dual and it has a faster slower button...select that while 2 targets are closing on you and it will show you the speed of both targets..the faster one will appear in the target lock window and the slower will be in the target window.  Patrol speed will be in its normal location.

Here is a link to stalkers web site..read on the left side where it says 3 window fastest speed tracking.  I "Believe" I know what i'm talking about.

Stalker's patented Fastest Speed Tracking assists the operator in making proper target identification by displaying both the Strongest and Fastest targets simultaneously on separate display windows.
First, I never stated that you cannot track two targets. I said two targets in close proximity. There is a huge difference, so before you tell me I don't know anything read what I said.

Second I never said it can't be done, I said I had not seen it. I was servicing radars till about a year and a half ago. So yeah, I am a little out, but not that much.

That and in this case the patrol unit was coming from the head on, he was behind a truck and they were in a turn. If it got him in that scenario then it's more impressive than they make it out to be.

Glad to hear that you just got the warning!  
beerchug.gif
+1

Good manners go a long way.
Havinging boobs goes a long way too......
rofl.gif

rofl.gif

rofl.gif
Are you referring to getting "frisked"?

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Either way you get away without a ticket!!!!!
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
"Wiping coffee stains off of monitor"
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

It's the facts and I am not complaining.......
blonde.gif

rofl.gif

rofl.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

rofl.gif

rofl.gif

First, I never stated that you cannot track two targets.  I said two targets in close proximity.  There is a huge difference, so before you tell me I don't know anything read what I said.

Second I never said it can't be done, I said I had not seen it.  I was servicing radars till about a year and a half ago.  So yeah, I am a little out, but not that much.

That and in this case the patrol unit was coming from the head on, he was behind a truck and they were in a turn.  If it got him in that scenario then it's more impressive than they make it out to be.
There is nothing in my post that said that you did not know what you were talking about. You were talking about being in the military, you never said that you were a radar tech, cosmos did and thats who I was talking to, I just quoted you because you were the last one with all the quotes..lol

I was an MP in the ARMY and unless you were airforce, everything we had was 15-20 years old it seemed..they got the nice cars to patrol in and we got the K cars and the VW vans.

Its no big deal, with the way that the tech is these days it is outdated when its released.

This radar can track 2 targets in close proximity though..(i.e. 2 vehicles next to each other, or one thats passing another vehicle) The old radars like the BEE's we used to have would bounce back and fourth when it would get a different target, this one will actually get both targets though and display their speeds. I think I get what your saying though, you were behind the other vehicles.  Angling yourself to the passenger rear or just to the far right and being really close, would make it next to impossible to get you, however when you pass the officer, now his rear antenna can see you and if there is a difference in speeds, it would be possible at that point, but still really hard since the bike is such a smaller target..

Glad your meeting turned out well. Had an experience last week that left a hard feeling in my heart for this one LE SOB.

Back