pulled over for the first time, ever!

How long you been out of service on servicing the radars?  I have a stalker dual and it has a faster slower button...select that while 2 targets are closing on you and it will show you the speed of both targets..the faster one will appear in the target lock window and the slower will be in the target window.  Patrol speed will be in its normal location.

Here is a link to stalkers web site..read on the left side where it says 3 window fastest speed tracking.  I "Believe" I know what i'm talking about.

http://www.stalkerradar.com/law_dual.shtml

3 Window Fastest Speed Tracking
Stalker's patented Fastest Speed Tracking assists the operator in making proper target identification by displaying both the Strongest and Fastest targets simultaneously on separate display windows.
First, I never stated that you cannot track two targets.  I said two targets in close proximity.  There is a huge difference, so before you tell me I don't know anything read what I said.

Second I never said it can't be done, I said I had not seen it.  I was servicing radars till about a year and a half ago.  So yeah, I am a little out, but not that much.

That and in this case the patrol unit was coming from the head on, he was behind a truck and they were in a turn.  If it got him in that scenario then it's more impressive than they make it out to be.
There is nothing in my post that said that you did not know what you were talking about.  You were talking about being in the military, you never said that you were a radar tech, cosmos did and thats who I was talking to, I just quoted you because you were the last one with all the quotes..lol

I was an MP in the ARMY and unless you were airforce, everything we had was 15-20 years old it seemed..they got the nice cars to patrol in and we got the K cars and the VW vans.

Its no big deal, with the way that the tech is these days it is outdated when its released.

This radar can track 2 targets in close proximity though..(i.e. 2 vehicles next to each other, or one thats passing another vehicle) The old radars like the BEE's we used to have would bounce back and fourth when it would get a different target, this one will actually get both targets though and display their speeds. I think I get what your saying though, you were behind the other vehicles.  Angling yourself to the passenger rear or just to the far right and being really close, would make it next to impossible to get you, however when you pass the officer, now his rear antenna can see you and if there is a difference in speeds, it would be possible at that point, but still really hard since the bike is such a smaller target..
Sorry, wasn't really trying to fire off at you. Just get bothered when police do that sort of thing. Get a little worked up. Used to get pulled over a few times a month in SoCal because I was the only sports bike on my block.

I kicked around with all types of radar. After reading that particular ones description it is a pretty fancy one, however, I didn't see any real definite answers on how close two vehicles can be and still be picked as two targets. With radar Line Of Sight is everything. And if the officer didn't clock him till he passed, then he would have had the same speed for the truck in front, so at that point he chose the motorcycle for some reason beyond speeding.

I had the fortunate experience to do Military Police work, in the Navy (so not actual MP's, but close enough). If he was allowing the truck to go by at that speed and was okay with it, but had a problem with a motorcycle going the same speed a few seconds later, he just violated at least one policy I am sure, not to mention that shady frisking.

All around I think that was a bad decision by the officer, and I personally would have taken offense to it.

Please don't get me wrong either, I have all the love in the world for the boys in blue. Was about three days from becoming one of Portland's finest when I got my current job. It just irritates me to no end when they take that responsibility and twist it to their own agenda.

To all you LEO's out there that do it day to day, my hat is off to you, it's a tough job and I do appreciate it.

So what if you were speeding (oh dear God...NOooo) it's a victimless "crime".
These azzwhipes with the radar guns need to go get a real job.

I have a ton of respect for leo that patrol the streets of our homes, break down doors,
execute felon arrests, etc...

I have zero respect for the azzhats that ride around with the radar gun and just write out tickets.
Like the FHP...all they do is garbage pick up (work an accident) and write tickets, what a worthless,
tits on boar, organization.  
redcomprs2.gif

Glad you got off with a warning  
thumb_up.gif

Way to go! If your first thought was to screw and you were able to resist and just get a warning can you imagine how pissed you'd be if you had gotten the ticket and then thought what if.....?

I have a ton of respect for leo that patrol the streets of our homes, break down doors,

I have zero respect for the azzhats that ride around with the radar gun and just write out tickets.
Like the FHP...all they do is garbage pick up (work an accident) and write tickets, what a worthless,
redcomprs2.gif

thumb_up.gif
+1 i don't care for stupid speeding tickets if someones driving drunk or absolutely wreckless thats different but but 15 on the highway is bs cause everyone does it

redcomprs2.gif

thumb_up.gif
+1 i don't care for stupid speeding tickets if someones driving drunk or absolutely wreckless thats different but but 15 on the highway is bs cause everyone does it
If everyone knew that they could get away with 15 over, how fast would they drive then? You have to draw the line somewhere or people will abuse it until it has gone too far. I don't see how driving 90mph down an open highway is dangerous to me, but rules are rules. If it wasn't for speedlimts and knowing that an officer could be waiting for me around a turn, I probably have killed myself many of times. When we were all kids, we would say that our parents were mean and that we would let our kids do whatever they wanted when we grew up, most of us learned that our parents rules made perfect sense....some of you are acting like kids when it comes to traffic laws. Do you really think that an officer that gave you a speeding ticket does nothing else but give tickets? If you were being held hostage in your own home, who would be the first person to put there life at risk to help you...that same officer that told you to slow down and gave you a ticket.

I woulda acted the same way, though deep inside you feel you really wana down that throttle and simply disappeare! But you never know whose waiting on the other end... Good move...

redcomprs2.gif

thumb_up.gif
If everyone knew that they could get away with 15 over, how fast would they drive then?  You have to draw the line somewhere or people will abuse it until it has gone too far.  I don't see how driving 90mph down an open highway is dangerous to me, but rules are rules.  If it wasn't for speedlimts and knowing that an officer could be waiting for me around a turn, I probably have killed myself many of times. When we were all kids, we would say that our parents were mean and that we would let our kids do whatever they wanted when we grew up, most of us learned that our parents rules made perfect sense....some of you are acting like kids when it comes to traffic laws.  Do you really think that an officer that gave you a speeding ticket does nothing else but give tickets?  If you were being held hostage in your own home, who would be the first person to put there life at risk to help you...that same officer that told you to slow down and gave you a ticket.
EXCEPT: The rules of the speed limit and punishment of giving out speeding tickets are NOT there for your safety, my safety, her safety, etc... It's simply nothing, really more than a revenue generator for local, state, or federal government to get $$$ from us. Don't believe me? Look at the posted minimum fine for car pool / HOV lane violations. If where you're at is anything like Southern California, the minimum fine increased by about $50 from something like $225 to $275 since a year or so ago. Why the increase? Because violators got a raise and don't mind paying the $225 on a regular basis? Likely, the scale for speed tickets increased also.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the insurance industry is in on it too! Think about it: In most states, insurance is mandatory, likely from the lobbying efforts of the insurance industry. And in most instances, a moving violation would give the insurance the right, or "cause" to raise your rates. Sounds fishy, doesn't it.

By the way, if I remember history correctly, the original speed limit of 55mph was set up back in the 1950's or 1960's, NOT as a safety measure for motorists, but at the time, there were a oil crisis, and the feds pass that law to conserve gasoline use.

Don't mean to digress, but I wouldn't be surprise if that old 55mph law would come back again now.

By the way, if I remember history correctly, the original speed limit of 55mph was set up back in the 1950's or 1960's, NOT as a safety measure for motorists, but at the time, there were a oil crisis, and the feds pass that law to conserve gasoline use.

Don't mean to digress, but I wouldn't be surprise if that old 55mph law would come back again now.
You have a good point, but cars were not capable of the speeds they are today. Gas mileage was also terrible compared to today's standards. A lot of people are well capable of driving 130mph, but could you imagine a road with grandma's and teenage girls going 100mph and a guy on a moped going 50mph...it just isn't realistic to say that enforcing the speedlimit is all about collecting money. I by no means drive the speedlimit, but I am willing accept that I am breaking the law if I get caught. Public safety today CAN NOT be compared to what it was in the 1950's.
beerchug.gif

You have a good point, but cars were not capable of the speeds they are today.  Gas mileage was also terrible compared to today's standards.  A lot of people are well capable of driving 130mph, but could you imagine a road with grandma's and teenage girls going 100mph and a guy on a moped going 50mph...it just isn't realistic to say that enforcing the speedlimit is all about collecting money.  I by no means drive the speedlimit, but I am willing accept that I am breaking the law if I get caught.  Public safety today CAN NOT be compared to what it was in the 1950's.  
beerchug.gif
I would be ok with stricter testing (or better training) before issuing a license, if it meant getting rid of some bogus speed limits (and lousy drivers). It is a shame when society forgets why a particular law was passed and it just keeps on going with the flow.

I get that some speed limits are needed for road conditions. But, the west coast has a lot of open, flat, and straight roads that it is just painful to go 55-65 on.

In Seattle, more danger is created by people slamming on their brakes at the site of a cop on the side of a freeway than any speeder can create.

You have a good point, but cars were not capable of the speeds they are today.  Gas mileage was also terrible compared to today's standards.  A lot of people are well capable of driving 130mph, but could you imagine a road with grandma's and teenage girls going 100mph and a guy on a moped going 50mph...it just isn't realistic to say that enforcing the speedlimit is all about collecting money.  I by no means drive the speedlimit, but I am willing accept that I am breaking the law if I get caught.  Public safety today CAN NOT be compared to what it was in the 1950's.  
beerchug.gif
I actually go the speed limit now. NOT because "safety" concerns, or even the threat of a speeding ticket, but because of the price of gas.

Yesterday, on my 117 miles trek from my home in L.A. suburbs to my office in Irvine, then to my girlfriends in La Jolla (where the US Opens happened over the weekend), I set my car's cruise control to 65mph, and stuck to it as much as I can. Stayed on the right side of the freeway to avoid pissing off people... Even with some minor street driving + 2 moderate traffic congestion, my car's realtime, moving average MPG displayed 30.1MPG when I got to my girlfriend's place.

I typically gotten 23MPG, the car's EPA estimated MPG is about 26MPG Highway (revised this year, but model year is 2007).

So, doing the math:
I've gained about 7MPG X 15 gallon tank = 105 extra mile per tank!

105 extra miles per tank / 30MPG = about 3.5 gallon of gas I'm saving!

3.5 gal. I'm saving X $4.90 per gallon (91 oct., my car has twin turbo) = $17.15 I'm saving per tank!

Yes, I like to defend the right to speed, but I'm not doing it myself right now.

By the way, if the road condition allows it and the driver's ability is up to it, what's wrong with little old grandma doing 130mph?

When I was 16 I got a 1981 Monte Carlo. I had it until I was 22 and got pulled over all the time. I honestly got pulled over 3 to 4 times a month the entire time I owned that vehicle. All the gang bangers in the area during that time period like to drive around in oldsmobile cutlass that were the same body style. Keep in mind that after being pulled over all those time I have never gotten a ticket for anything.

Saying that every time I got pulled over in that car I was asked to step out, frisked, usually handcuffed (for them to search the car EVERY TIME), and sometimes I was put in the patrol car while they searched it and even waited for them to bring the drug dog out to sniff it. I never got a ticket. I dont do drugs, I hardly ever drink, always wear my seatbelt, and never speed. I got pulled over, frisked and searched because of the car I was driving and because I was young.

In 1998 I traded that car off and bought an extended cab 1997 GMC Sierra pickup. I have not been pulled over since I got that truck. I now have a 2000 4x4 Sierra and havent been pulled over in that. I just got a B-King and even though I know that I wont be speeding or breaking any laws that I better get used to getting pulled over and questioned because I'll be riding a fast bike. Thats the way the LEO's are around here. I'm actually friends with 4 local police officers and I know most of the county deputies around here and I can guarantee I will still be harassed because Im on a motorcycle.

I know that not all LEO's are like this. I also know that they are going to stumble on people with guns/drugs/drunks and make arrests and get people off the road by doing this profiling. I dont think its right but thats the way it is. I hope its changed but Im not going to hold my breath.

-vJ-

beerchug.gif
I actually go the speed limit now.  NOT because "safety" concerns, or even the threat of a speeding ticket, but because of the price of gas.

Yesterday, on my 117 miles trek from my home in L.A. suburbs to my office in Irvine, then to my girlfriends in La Jolla (where the US Opens happened over the weekend), I set my car's cruise control to 65mph, and stuck to it as much as I can.  Stayed on the right side of the freeway to avoid pissing off people... Even with some minor street driving + 2 moderate traffic congestion, my car's realtime, moving average MPG displayed 30.1MPG when I got to my girlfriend's place.

I typically gotten 23MPG, the car's EPA estimated MPG is about 26MPG Highway (revised this year, but model year is 2007).

So, doing the math:
I've gained about 7MPG X 15 gallon tank = 105 extra mile per tank!

105 extra miles per tank / 30MPG = about 3.5 gallon of gas I'm saving!

3.5 gal. I'm saving X $4.90 per gallon (91 oct., my car has twin turbo) = $17.15 I'm saving per tank!

Yes, I like to defend the right to speed, but I'm not doing it myself right now.

By the way, if the road condition allows it and the driver's ability is up to it, what's wrong with little old grandma doing 130mph?
I know they picked 55 because any thing over that and wind is your enemy. Even if you make the engine more efficient, the drag is killing your per gallon average.

Look at any car or motorcycle from '78-'82 ish. You will see the very highlighted 55 and an 85 MPH limit on the speedometer.
1980 Corvette, top speed stock 85 MPH,
laugh.gif

Thanks late 70's oil crisis and poloticians that think no one can think for themselves.

I also drive my SUV slower to up the MPG, but I have such a hard time in my wife's M3 and my K8. Seriously, I am never really speeding though, just fast side of the flow of traffic.

Really sad that we have to put up with this kind of crap. Glad you didn't get a ticket, but you shouldn't have been pulled over in the first place.

Back