Got New Rubber the Other Day !

Anyways !!!  
whistling.gif
  I did notice the Front Seems to Bounce a little More on the Freeway and other Roads, Unless it's Extremely Smooth.  Would a Different Tire Pressure Help with that ?

Ding...Ding NEXT ROUND  
boxing.gif
Yep, its certainly worth a try. You ride more than one bike with different tire compounds and suspension geometry right? I ride three, a 29 yr old twin shock CBX, a slightly newer, 82 mono shock CBX, and the 06 Busa. They all have different size rims, both in rim height and width, and different tires and suspensions and they all require different air settings for their tires. They are close however. Add to that, rider weight, the particular suspension settings, fork oil weight, the type of riding involved...lots of variables.

Anyways !!!
whistling.gif
I did notice the Front Seems to Bounce a little More on the Freeway and other Roads, Unless it's Extremely Smooth. Would a Different Tire Pressure Help with that ?

Ding...Ding NEXT ROUND
boxing.gif
No, the tire is not supposed to be doing the work of your suspension. Adjust your compression and rebound damping so the forks are doing their job properly.

an idiot? Okaaaaaaaaaaaay. I see what I'm dealing with here and I'll save my breath. Your picture proves nothing. Dragging a foot peg simply means nothing regarding tire pressure and handling. And I hardly put myself in the "posing crowd". My riding speaks for itself; Track days in "A session" yada yada yada...

My original point is... 42 PSI isn't a "magic number" that must be used on the street. Every brand/model of tire carcass different and YOU'RE the idiot if you think 42 PSI is the end all number for street riding. For the record, I have ridden the following tires and I can tell you that EVERY one likes different pressure, and NONE of them handle as well at 42 PSI as they do at lower pressures:
Pirelli Dragon SC, Pirelli Super Corsas, Bridgestone BT 56, BT 015, Dunlop 209 GP, 209 n-Tec, Pilot Powers, Pilot Power 2CT, Metzler M3.

I've read some of your other posts and I gotta say that I'm really not impressed. I should have known before I replied that you would rebut with your know it all attitude.
whistling.gif
+1

I was gonna chime in...but...Speedgeek is pretty spot on.

BTW-05LE; Formula Xtreme IS NOT DEFUNCT. If you watch the AMA Superbike races at Mid-Ohio this weekend (well, it'll air on Speed this coming Tuesday with Superstock), Formula Xtreme is still part of the various class structures till the end of 08. Then after that, it's the DMG show.

<span style='color:red'>The Formula Extreme THAT ALLOWED RUNNING A BIKE LIKE A GSX1300R is now defunct. That was my point of reference, since he stated that "my riding speaks for itself. It, being the only class that you could previously enter a Hayabusa in, was why I mentioned it. The current neutered 600cc class is nothing like the wild bikes that ran at the early part of the decade.</span>

busa_race2.jpg

hayabusa_greaves1.jpg

hayabusa_greaves3.jpg

42 "might" work ok for some twisty riding, but it won't fly at all at the track. Anyone who runs that WILL get lapped. Mainly b/c there'll be less contact patch, not enough optimal tire/carcass temp reached, and it'll just spin and slide outta the corners. Each tire is different and individual in that respect. The swingarm sticker is more for the conservative riding emphasizing tire longevity, fuel mileage, etc.

<span style='color:red'>We were never talking about track riding. Does everyone that has responded to my posts have a reading comprehension problem? I said ON THE STREET. At the track, with a set of Chickenhawks on your 209 or 211GP's @ 175-185 degrees is as far from a 2-lane highway and a pair of Qualifiers as possible. Apples and oranges. If you ride on the street with N-Tec's and you ACTUALLY GET THEM UP TO OPERATING TEMP, then you are AT THE WRONG PLACE AND DESERVE WHATEVER HAPPENS TO YOU. Spirited street riding and aggressive race track riding are far apart and require completely different tire setups. That, I never argued. I'm talking about GOOD handling, long tire life, and maximum rim protection from impact damage.</span>

Big Willow? I'm there every month. And I just ran Big Willow this last Sunday. And I'll be racing WSMC August round next month.

But in your defense, you are indeed correct about Boyle's Law pertaining to tires. Start a tire off at 30 psi cold, attain operating temp at 170 degrees F or greater, the pressure is gonna rise at least 3 to 5 psi. That's why all the AMA, WSBK, MotoGP teams run tire warmers and set their hot pressures.
biggrin.gif

"Talkin' Smack
rock.gif
?"....."Boys....rest your ego's"....... different riding styles call for different tire compounds and different tire pressures. Suspension settings "are" important and are respective to the riding style, weight, and ability of each individual rider.

This "IS" the O-R-G........"CHILL the SMACK"...
super.gif
Share points of view, condemn-not from within !!! We "ARE" the O-R-G !!!"
coolold.gif

No more..
boxing.gif

BTW "Bad @SS racing bike Brother......."

42 can work in twisty, but why would you choose too when you can get better heat and larger contact from lesser pressures, thus safer gripping? I only do 42 on LONG TOURING trips. Suzuki posts 42 for legal reasons.

yeah, and the name calling doesn't really fit here

M3 is a nice tire. I've had some on for more than a year and they don't wear fast, but they were not as sticky TO ME as my Pirelli's so I am going back to those. The M3 is a great all arounder, but for some reason it did not inspire confidence on the race track [track=race track, not drag STRIP]. But they held up fine in twisties, tours, drag strip, trackdays, commuting. Actually lasted longer than I was wishing

"Talkin' Smack
rock.gif
?"....."Boys....rest your ego's"....... different riding styles call for different tire compounds and different tire pressures.  Suspension settings "are" important and are respective to the riding style, weight, and ability of each individual rider.  

This "IS" the O-R-G........"CHILL the SMACK"...
super.gif
 Share points of view, condemn-not from within !!!  We "ARE" the O-R-G !!!"
coolold.gif

No more..
boxing.gif

BTW  "Bad @SS racing bike Brother......."
Very well put.
We are all brothers and we are all looking for an exchange of information.
I for one am always learning, and looking to further educate myself.
The definition of an expert is: Having, involving, or demonstrating great skill, dexterity, or knowledge as the result of experience or training.
Experience or Training.
Post your experience, post your sources of information and let the other fellows live with their illusions.
It is said that when the pupil is ready the teacher will appear.
I have learned a HUGE amount from this site, and do not know what I would have done without that information.

Thanks Spudley!

One thing I Really Like about these M3, They Tell you when you have Reached there Limit. Just Found that out Today
SHOCKED.gif
Sort of like an Advanced Warning that they are about to Break Loose
super.gif

I've been playing with my tire pressure the past couple weeks. I found out my bike likes 35-36ish-psi. seems a little more flickible than running 40psi, but it also seems to wander or follow every little crack in the road unlike 40. 40psi seems to be alot smoother ride but seems to take more effort. thats my take of tire pressure, my bike has stock suspension/settings for now with 120/70 front and 190/55 rear Conti Sport Attack's, and I run them at about 35-36psi the happy medium.

I have the avon storms on my busa now. 9000 miles on the rear and its about 45%. The front has the same mileage but is down to the wear bars.

I run 50lbs front and rear, I run them that high for longevity reasons but I can still hit the canyons for some spirited riding.

I will be replacing them with more of the same.

I have the avon storms on my busa now. 9000 miles on the rear and its about 45%. The front has the same mileage but is down to the wear bars.

I run 50lbs front and rear, I run them that high for longevity reasons but I can still hit the canyons for some spirited riding.

No offense intended, really, but your info seems backwards. I've never heard of those numbers. For street riding the front (on every bike I've owned) lasts longer than the rear, sometimes twice as long. The rear should be toast or close to it by 9,000 miles even with 50+psi. BTW, you do know they gain pressure as they heat up right? After a couple hard hours of riding in the heat, much less a day long ride across Nevada at speed, in July, what PSI do you think they're at then?

I burn up V rated rears on my 100hp CBXs between 4,000 and 5,000 miles no matter what the brand. I'm currently in the middle of a PR2 on the Busa, at 4,000+ and it looks at least as good as the old PR did, which lasted nearly 9,000 miles, and much better than the PPs I tried earlier. You're also reducing your tire's contact patch with them overinflated that much, which should also contribute to a harsher ride and limited cornering ability.

If your smooth with the throttle the back tire will last, I tend to go hot into the corner and slowly twist the grip starting at mid corner. Since the front tire is smaller than the rear and I have the back lifted almost 2 inches it pushes the tire a bit. I figure thats why it has worn a bit more than the rear.

I was a motorcycle messenger for 10 years averaging 70,000 miles a year, I may not be a road racer like others on this site but I can get down the road.

I'll post some pictures of the tires tomorrow.

The larger your PSI, the more the chicks are impressed.

wait.... was that funny at all, or just stupid?

My Avon Vipers are doing well at 36psi. Hot pressure is 40 to 41 lbs. Temp while riding is 112f to 120f after a spirited short ride. 120f to 130f after a long day of riding.

On my original statement I was incorrect because I left out the word "almost". I have run the Vipers at 2 and 4 lbs less, and they are still within one lb of hot pressure, but the hot temp goes up almost 10f to 30f more.

With luck the Vipers will last until I get home. 1500 miles on them now and they look and feel great! It they make it home in decent shape I will be buying them again. I had a 9 mile gravel rode that the tires handled very well for a sportbike tire. So far these tires are handling very well with hot temps and cold rain. I had a couple of tire slips on road debris that the tires recovered very well from. They are very confidence inspiring.

beerchug.gif

Have a set of M3 love them. but everyone said that there not a busa spec tire and there not made for the weight of the bike. and all the numbers matched the oem ones.
they say the steel belts in the tire break down faster. Is any of this true or is it a bunch oh S!!!.

The busa is a heavy bike and the part number tire is different than the generic tire of the same brand and size. Some of the touring type tires have a bit stiffer carcass and feel better on the busa.

The race tires at lower psi heat up gret on our pigs but dont do squat for rim protection.

I run 115 psi in my bike tires, it's a 27 speed too.

Remember you guys, alot of us know alot of things but....there is power in humility. Doyle

No offense intended, really, but your info seems backwards.  I've never heard of those numbers.  For street riding the front (on every bike I've owned) lasts longer than the rear, sometimes twice as long.  The rear should be toast or close to it by 9,000 miles even with 50+psi.  BTW, you do know they gain pressure as they heat up right?  After a couple hard hours of riding in the heat, much less a day long ride across Nevada at speed, in July, what PSI do you think they're at then?  

I burn up V rated rears on my 100hp CBXs between 4,000 and 5,000 miles no matter what the brand.  I'm currently in the middle of a PR2 on the Busa, at 4,000+ and it looks at least as good as the old PR did, which lasted nearly 9,000 miles, and much better than the PPs I tried earlier.  You're also reducing your tire's contact patch with them overinflated that much, which should also contribute to a harsher ride and limited cornering ability.
I'm gonna try a set of Conti road attacks on my busa when I finally finish off the BT-056's. My first 56 rear I got 4800 miles out of including break-in miles. My second rear will be lucky to last over 2000
wowold.gif
Same pressures, same roads. I'm just twisting the throttle alot more than I use to
laugh.gif
winkold.gif
The closest I've ever come to getting 9000 miles out of any rear on a 1000cc+ bike was 8000 from a metzler on my 86 ninja 1000R, which was rated at 125 crankshaft ponies. I dream of getting 9000 miles out of anything on the busa..........
I love high speeds.....I do high triple digits every time I go for a ride. I gotta say tho if I was over the max recommended cold pressure by 8psi, I'd be a little nervous
dunno.gif

I just put on a set of Pereli Diablo Strada's and love them. I have a lot more confidence to lean the bike over than with the stock Bridgestones. I hope these wear as well as I heard people say at the Eureka Springs gathering. By the way if you missed that ride I feel sorry for you. Arkansas is wayyy under-rated as a ride destination.

Back