Got New Rubber the Other Day !

I love my M3's but I think the M1's were actually better in the "real world" twisties. Just my opinion.

M-1's....M-3's......"SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........" or everyone will start buying them ad then we'll pay MORE for them....
super.gif

Hey Rich, how are those BT016's doing? have you replaced them yet? If so, give us the lowdown on how they performed and how long did they last?

Speaking of Tire Pressure

I have read, and now use the 10% rule. (Smooth Riding by Reg Pridmore page 139)
Take various readings before you ride when the tires are dead cold (not sitting in the sun) and then immediately after you come back from a ride. The pressure of the hot tires should rise 10%.
ie. On my Pilot Powers I use Front 36.5 cold and it rises to 40 after a ride, and Rear 36.5 and it rises to 40 after a ride, both a 10% increase.

If the range in the cold and hot pressures is less than 10%, they have too much cold pressure. If the range is more than 10% they have too little cold pressure.

This method works real good and I think saves tire wear.

JMO

I have now really pushed the envelope with my new BT0-16's One word [Awsome] Goes right down to the pegs...
And center tread seems to be holding up very well. [triple compound] in the rear...
Heres a blurry pic...

190882_R1_13_12A.jpg

Correct tire pressure is EXTREMELY important too. 42/42 on the street is a must.
You're right.. partially. Correct tire pressure is EXTREMELY important.... but you're wrong about 42 PSI. 42/42 A must? For what? Riding in a straight line on the freeway?

42 cold is simply toooooo high for anything other than commuting or cruising down the freeway.

Also, "correct" tire pressure varies ALOT between tire manufacturers and MAKES within the same manufacturer. For example, Pilot Powers have a soft carcass and "like" a little higher pressure... like 34-36ish COLD both front and rear for a heavy Busa. However, Dunlop 209 N-Tecs run 20 rear and 29 front COLD. That is a HUGE difference! Pirelli Super Corsas are somewhere around 29/31 cold for the street and 26/30 for the track.

The "sicker on the swing arm" is for the stock tires in a conservative setup where tire wear and gas mileage are factored in. But they handle like Sh!t. You won't be able to get lean angle like my avatar running that crap! That was running Dunlop 209 n-tecs at 24 rear 29.5 front "Warm temp" pressure set on tires on warmers. Tire wear was perfect and clean. And I only bump the rear pressure up to 25 cold for the street. Those tires would be ROCKS if I ran 42 in them.. Same goes for the other major performance street tires!

Correct tire pressure is EXTREMELY important too. 42/42 on the street is a must.
You're right.. partially. Correct tire pressure is EXTREMELY important.... but you're wrong about 42 PSI. 42/42 A must? For what? Riding in a straight line on the freeway?

42 cold is simply toooooo high for anything other than commuting or cruising down the freeway.

Also, tire pressue varies ALOT between manufacturers and MAKES within the same manufacturer. For example, Pilot Powers have a soft carcass and "like" a little higher pressure... like 34-36ish COLD both front and rear for a heavy Busa. However, Dunlop 209 N-Tecs run 20 rear and 29 front COLD. That is a HUGE difference! Pirelli Super Corsas are somewhere around 29-30 cold.

The "sicker on the swing arm" is for the stock tires in a conservative setup where tire wear and gas mileage are factored in. But they handle like Sh!t. You won't be able to get lean angle like my avatar running that crap! That was running Dunlop 209 n-tecs at 24 rear 29.5 front "Warm temp" pressure set on tires on warmers. Tire wear was perfect and clean. And I only bump the rear pressure up to 25 cold for the street. Those tires would be ROCKS if I ran 42 in them.. Same goes for the other major performance street tires!
You are an idiot if you think 42psi wont handle.

Would you prefer I put my knee down with jeans on? BT-014's @ 42psi. Left side footpeg is down, I suppose I could lean a bit farther off the bike for the posing crowd...

hwy33.jpg

an idiot? Okaaaaaaaaaaaay. I see what I'm dealing with here and I'll save my breath. Your picture proves nothing. Dragging a foot peg simply means nothing regarding tire pressure and handling. And I hardly put myself in the "posing crowd". My riding speaks for itself; Track days in "A session" yada yada yada...

My original point is... 42 PSI isn't a "magic number" that must be used on the street. Every brand/model of tire carcass different and YOU'RE the idiot if you think 42 PSI is the end all number for street riding. For the record, I have ridden the following tires and I can tell you that EVERY one likes different pressure, and NONE of them handle as well at 42 PSI as they do at lower pressures:
Pirelli Dragon SC, Pirelli Super Corsas, Bridgestone BT 56, BT 015, Dunlop 209 GP, 209 n-Tec, Pilot Powers, Pilot Power 2CT, Metzler M3.

I've read some of your other posts and I gotta say that I'm really not impressed. I should have known before I replied that you would rebut with your know it all attitude.
whistling.gif

an idiot? Okaaaaaaaaaaaay. I see what I'm dealing with here and I'll save my breath. Your picture proves nothing. Dragging a foot peg simply means nothing regarding tire pressure and handling. And I hardl call myself the "posing crowd". My riding speaks for itself.

<span style='color:red'>Your riding speaks for itself? Who do you think you are? Radford Greaves racing in the defunct Formula Extreme?
laugh.gif
You've ridden a few trackdays and now YOU are the be-all, end-all, know-it-all on street tire pressure. You crack me up. If you think Sherars Bridge and hwy 47 are a racetrack and you need to run 209GP's there @ 25 psi, then you my friend are sorely mistaken about what "STREET" riding is. Ever ride Big Willow?
winkold.gif
</span>

My original point is... 42 PSI isn't a "magic number" that must be used on the street. Every brand/model of tire carcass different and YOU'RE the idiot if you think 42 PSI is the end all number for street riding.

I've read some of your other posts and I gotta say that I'm really not impressed. I should have known before I replied that you would rebut with your know it all attitude.
whistling.gif
ohthedrama.gif

Thank heavens I can throw away years of trying to find the perfect combination for maximum grip for dozens of different tires and just put 42 psi in each tire. Don't mean to take a shot at anyone and hate to see the idiot word thrown back and forth, but people write books on this subject. Or at least chapters in books. I like the 5 psi rule from cold to hot, but the 10% way is not too bad either. One thing I can say for sure: if you think 42 psi is the way to go, you're going to be in for a pleasant surprize if you do a little experimentation. 42 psi is best for making sure your tire doesn't go flat between infrequent checks. You can do better!

I have now really pushed the envelope with my new BT0-16's One word [Awsome] Goes right down to the pegs...
And center tread seems to be holding up very well. [triple compound] in the rear...
Heres a blurry pic...
if you back up from the subject matter a bit, the blurry goes away...

an idiot? Okaaaaaaaaaaaay. I see what I'm dealing with here and I'll save my breath. Your picture proves nothing. Dragging a foot peg simply means nothing regarding tire pressure and handling. And I hardl call myself the "posing crowd". My riding speaks for itself.

<span style='color:red'>Your riding speaks for itself? Who do you think you are? Radford Greaves racing in the defunct Formula Extreme?
laugh.gif
You've ridden a few trackdays and now YOU are the be-all, end-all, know-it-all on street tire pressure. You crack me up. If you think Sherars Bridge and hwy 47 are a racetrack and you need to run 209GP's there @ 25 psi, then you my friend are sorely mistaken about what "STREET" riding is. Ever ride Big Willow?
winkold.gif
</span>

My original point is... 42 PSI isn't a "magic number" that must be used on the street. Every brand/model of tire carcass different and YOU'RE the idiot if you think 42 PSI is the end all number for street riding.

whistling.gif
ohthedrama.gif
My point is made regarding you're know it all attitude.

You get Jackass of the year award!
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I have to Believe the 10% rule.
Reg Pridmore has forgotten more about bikes than we know.
Here is his website with his training school:

http://www.classrides.com/

And his credentials from that site:

His philosophies have been forged with over 50 years experience riding and racing. He won 3 AMA Superbike Championships and has been teaching better technique since 1974, under the CLASS banner since 1986. In 1998 CLASS was chosen the Best Street Riding School by Motorcyclist Magazine, and in 2002 Reg achieved the honor of being inducted into the AMA Hall of Fame.

I gotta GO with the KNOW. Too important an issue to guess.
The other mentioned 5 psi rule from cold to hot would be close to the 10% rule (only 1 or 2 pounds difference at 35 psi) but the 42 psi for all is just plain wrong.

JMO

Anyways !!!  
whistling.gif
I did notice the Front Seems to Bounce a little More on the Freeway and other Roads, Unless it's Extremely Smooth.  Would a Different Tire Pressure Help with that ?

Ding...Ding NEXT ROUND
boxing.gif

an idiot?  Okaaaaaaaaaaaay.  I see what I'm dealing with here and I'll save my breath.  Your picture proves nothing.  Dragging a foot peg simply means nothing regarding tire pressure and handling.  And I hardly put myself in the "posing crowd". My riding speaks for itself;  Track days in "A session" yada yada yada...

My original point is... 42 PSI isn't a "magic number" that must be used on the street.  Every brand/model of tire carcass different and YOU'RE the idiot if you think 42 PSI is the end all number for street riding.  For the record, I have ridden the following tires and I can tell you that EVERY one likes different pressure, and NONE of them handle as well at 42 PSI as they do at lower pressures:
Pirelli Dragon SC, Pirelli Super Corsas, Bridgestone BT 56, BT 015, Dunlop 209 GP, 209 n-Tec, Pilot Powers, Pilot Power 2CT, Metzler M3.

whistling.gif
+1

I was gonna chime in...but...Speedgeek is pretty spot on.

BTW-05LE; Formula Xtreme IS NOT DEFUNCT. If you watch the AMA Superbike races at Mid-Ohio this weekend (well, it'll air on Speed this coming Tuesday with Superstock), Formula Xtreme is still part of the various class structures till the end of 08. Then after that, it's the DMG show.

42 "might" work ok for some twisty riding, but it won't fly at all at the track. Anyone who runs that WILL get lapped. Mainly b/c there'll be less contact patch, not enough optimal tire/carcass temp reached, and it'll just spin and slide outta the corners. Each tire is different and individual in that respect. The swingarm sticker is more for the conservative riding emphasizing tire longevity, fuel mileage, etc.

Big Willow? I'm there every month. And I just ran Big Willow this last Sunday. And I'll be racing WSMC August round next month.

But in your defense, you are indeed correct about Boyle's Law pertaining to tires. Start a tire off at 30 psi cold, attain operating temp at 170 degrees F or greater, the pressure is gonna rise at least 3 to 5 psi. That's why all the AMA, WSBK, MotoGP teams run tire warmers and set their hot pressures.

Back