Time To get off the Shinko's before they take me off...= Michelin PR2/PP/Metzeler M3?

Tim99ws6

Registered
I bought my bike with Shinko Hook up's on the bike. Don't judge, let's just move on! :banghead:

I bought a new set of cush drive bushings yesterday from Pashnit(shipped out same day too! Thanks Tim!)

So, I'm looking at replacing tires now before the Shinko's take a dive on me when I am out riding. I know there's endless conversation and discussion on tires here. With my research and search function WORN OUT from reading over the last few days, I'm down to three tire choices:

Metzeler M3 Sportec
Michelin Pilot Power
Michelin Pilot Road 2

The Other half has a F4i with Pilot Road 2 up front and a 2ct on the back. Obviously hard to compare tires with the weight, power, function of the F4i vs a busa. I'm NOT a big corner carver. I like the occasional blast up through the gears though.

Bike is stock with slip ons, 6" extension, and modded air box. I'm a 'heavy' guy at 6'6, 230 if that matters? I don't really ride 2up, so that's not a concern and I generally stay nice weather riding only so dry weather traction 'excellent', wet 'decent' is preferable. I ride about 3-5k a season and don't mind changing tires once a season if that's a deciding factor as well. Also, I'm not a big fan of corner carving, so no track days or knee dragging for me.

With that in mind, thoughts?

Anyone had any experience with more than one of the above tires? I see lots of opinions on the Michelin's but not much on the Metzeler? Thanks for the help guys!

Everyone like's pics...so here's mine!

busa110.jpg

busa210.jpg

Re: Time To get off the Shinko's before they take me off...= Michelin PR2/PP/Metzeler

You sure they hookups? the hookup is a drag specific tire, has a soft side wall...I have used the roads and power,both good tires.. DUNLOP Q2 SEEMS TO WORK WELL IF YOU CHANGE EACH SEASON..

Re: Time To get off the Shinko's before they take me off...= Michelin PR2/PP/Metzeler

You sure they hookups? the hookup is a drag specific tire, has a soft side wall...I have used the roads and power,both good tires.. DUNLOP Q2 SEEMS TO WORK WELL IF YOU CHANGE EACH SEASON..

The rear is 100% a hook up rear tire. 190/50/zr17 M/C R300A. It's hilarious, the thing is softer than the drag radials i run on my 275 Radial car I race. ???

You might want to stick with what you got or go Power One. You're running 155 RWHP 184 M.P.H. the guys having trouble are 400+ RWHP and 200+ M.P.H. You don't hit the corners and you like the 1/4 mile blast. I'm not a Shinko man, but given your post .....

Any life left in the shinko? how much you take for it?

Pilot Road 3

I ride M3 sport techs and they hold fast in the turns :thumbsup: well over 3k miles and still going strong

i'm trying out the bridgestone S3's. seem to be holding very well so far. gotta finish off the rear shinko and get myself a new rear tire to match the front.

its a drag tire is why its so soft.. not meant for the street unless your racing on it.. Shinko r003 work great and get good mileage..

The rear is 100% a hook up rear tire. 190/50/zr17 M/C R300A. It's hilarious, the thing is softer than the drag radials i run on my 275 Radial car I race. ???

Shinko 003 Stealth will hook better that any of the three tires you listed and will last longer on the street that a Hook Up. Some people on this forum give Shinko a bad wrap for some reason. Me, the first thing I do when I get a bike is take whatever tire is on the back, off (unless it's a Power 1) and put a Shinko on it. Shinko Steath (also known as U-soft) is one of the most sticky street tires on the market.

All the major manufacturers have a wide verity of good tires to choose from depending on your needs.

I am curious as to how you made the choice of either Metzler or Michelin, ruling out Bridgestone, Pirelli and Dunlop all of which make great tires?

while we are discing tires, would some one know if I could use a 120/80 ZR17 on the front in a 2008 K8 busa.
some roads in bangalore are just terrible and the ride not the 120/70 is very bad.

any suggestion will help.

Shinko 009s are great tires that give high mileage. I have not used them on my Busa yet but have used them for years on smaller displacement bikes with no problems at all.

What did you decide to go with? I have shinkos also and they need to come off

I like the metzer z8's ... 3 diferent compounds and have held up all last season 4k miles on them and still look brand new

i personally have been 2 sets of shinko 009's and LOVE THEM! i get about 5k out of the rear, and the same out of the front! for Illinois they suite me quite fine! and at the occassional $200 a set its hard to turn down!

I would suggest the Michelin Pilot Road 3's you cant compare Michelin qaulity to a Stinko.. Yeah Shinkos are popular or used to be popular at the dragstrip and local young kids at bike night. no longer I am seeing Stinkos at the dragstrip all the big HP turbo bikes are running Michelin Power Pures
I like Michelins for there qaulity, grip, and smoothness. I have been through many motorcycle tires over the past 30 years and Michelins always seem to take little to no weight when high speed balancing.

Use an appropriate tire for your style riding, it's why the manufacturers make different styles of tires.... some people like apples and some like oranges and some don't like either... :rofl:

^^^that pretty much says it all^^^

Im gonna try the new super sport. has anyone heard anything on these yet?

Back