Tire Dilemma

heavyjeffd

Registered
The Busa is my 13th sportbike in about 21yrs of riding. I've owned a lot of supersport bikes and a few track-only bikes. My favorites of my past bikes were definitely my RC51 (which I plan on buying another one of) and a '94 ZX7RR (factory solo seat, solid green, a real RR). I totally regret selling both.
sad.gif

Regardless, I've always had the stickiest/softest tires I could get because I was definitely more of the 'sporting' variety of rider. I've done track days, some occasional club racing (though not in a looooong time) and all in all, was always more concerned about performance than mileage.

Well, things have changed.

The Busa is my daily driver. I currently put 200-400 miles / week on the Busa almost all of which are highway. There are a LOT of twisties to/from work on my commute (I am in Texas Hill Country after all), but the vast majority is 80mph+ highway cruising.

What this means is I'm going to flatspot the hell out of any tire I get. And quick with the mileage I'm accruing. I really don't want to buy a new rear every 10 weeks if I can avoid it at all.

I've always been a huge Metzler fan and loved the ME1's I had on the RC. I was looking at the Sportec M3's and M-1's. I'm assuming the M3's are going to be the typical super-soft super sport tire and I'll chew up the rear in no time. I was hoping that the M-1's might have a little more life than the M3's, but I don't have any experience with the current gen.

The previous owner put some Continentals on it (don't know what model) that I'm honestly not that fond of. They don't have much road feel and as a result don't inspire a whole lot of confidence when cornering hard. Regardless, the rear is well past the wear markers, so they've got to go.

I need to purchase a new set of tires this week and just wanted to get some opinions as to what you guys like as the best mix of performance and mileage.

In the end, I'm more concerned about performance and grip, but if I can avoid buying a new rear tire every 10 weeks, I'm down with that too.

Thanks.
hello.gif

My personal Opinion
2cents.gif
 is what I use ! Avons, for me they're the best all around tires, but your going to get numerous opinions  
argue.gif
about that here ! It sounds like though, your probably going to have to try several types and brands until you find the right fit for your riding and demands  
google.gif

I have heard some drastically different opinions of the Avon's, kind of freaky how wide-ranging they are.

Oh don't worry, I've been Googling plenty.
smile.gif

What you're looking for is the Holy Grail of sport biking
cool.gif

Good luck in finding a grippy rear that won't flat spot from commuting
winkold.gif

Honestly,

I'd recommend Pilot Powers, Dunlop Qualifiers, or M3s. M1s won't last any longer than M3s, M3s basically replaced the older M1s.

I put a Pilot Road on the rear for my Colorado tour this summer and so far it still looks very good. Haven't noticed a huge difference in cornering ability compared to the PPs except for turn in. I have the 190. But for mileage and not such a flat spot (before its time so to speak) the P Road is doing nicely. I do keep a PP on the front though.

I think Charlesbusa is right re: PP's, what I've found is, considering how good Pilot Powers are for twisties, the inevitable flat surface is pretty slow in coming. I just replaced my PP's and the rear got 5k miles which included very hard riding and alot of interstate droning. Of course, if 5k isn't enough for you, then go to a street compound tire, but it sounds like you are the type of person that needs to give up 2-3 thousand miles of longivity for the added security of hard core performance (not all but some of the time!).
Raydog

Img_9404_Doyle_1000.jpg

You may want to consider Bridgestone BT-021 tires. I put those on an FJR. They handle great, and wear well. If you're not dragging knees on the Busa they'll do just fine. The FJR corners really well. They also balance very easily.

Another consideration is how much you weigh(going by your screename
winkold.gif
) and how hard you hit the throttle. At our trackday in Miller, a couple of the bigger guys blasted the rear tires away in 1-2 days. While I can coax 3-4 trackdays out of my BT002RS(not the race tire) and turn faster lap times. But I weigh 165lbs and am very smooth on the throttle.

I haven't had Bridgestones in years. Had Battleaxes on a few CBR's in the past that were OEM, that's about it.

I'm looking at everything right now, so thanks for reminding me about them.
smile.gif

Cycle gear had the Qualifiers front, and rear for $199.00. My first pair, so I don't know what kind of mileage to expect ? Good luck

Another consideration is how much you weigh(going by your screename
winkold.gif
) and how hard you hit the throttle.  At our trackday in Miller, a couple of the bigger guys blasted the rear tires away in 1-2 days.  While I can coax 3-4 trackdays out of my BT002RS(not the race tire) and turn faster lap times.  But I weigh 165lbs and am very smooth on the throttle.
The nick is more my taste in music.
smile.gif

Though, I am a somewhat big guy. I used to bodybuild/powerlift and still have that sack-o-potatoes build (6'/230lbs). I could stand to lose 15lbs or so, that's for sure! lol ;)

My track tires typically lasted me a good few days in the past, it was very easy to be smooth on the RC51. I haven't tracked the Busa and don't really plan on it.

Thanks for all the feedback so far guys.
peace.gif

I am also a Metzler fan. I have only had to replace my rear thus far on owning my Busa ad I went with the M-1. Not many miles on her yet but I like it just fine so far. Maybe 1K miles on it. I got 6K out of my factory original rear. Ran it down to the chord. I have noticed that the M-1 does seem to give me a lot more confidence in the leans. I have about 1/4 innch chicken strips. I never had that confidence before.

HeavyJeffD where are you located in the hill country?
I am running PP 2CT's. Great grip, but I won't get the life out of them you need. I have heard they have come out w/ a Pilot Road w/ a soft shoulder compound. That would be perfect for you. I have an RC51 - great bike.

I live on the North side of Canyon Lake right off of FM306 about 1 mile from FM3424 which is about five minutes from Devil's Backbone. I ride back there a lot. My commute is down to the Medical/I-10 area in San Antonio (about 112 miles round trip).

I guess in the end if I have to buy a new rear every three months I will. I'd rather have grip when I get to enjoy it than a hard tire that will be no fun to ride on. I'm just looking for the best in between alternative I can find. ;)

My M3s stick pretty good - well, they have not let me down yet... and seem to take longer to wear. I've done a few track days on them now and they keep lasting! I only ride to about 80-90% at track days if that helps. Have you considered dual compound like the Pirelli Corsa III or Pilot Power 2CT. supposedly less center ware, more stickie on the sides [tip: Corsa sticky side patch is wider than the 2ct]

My M3s stick pretty good - well, they have not let me down yet... and seem to take longer to wear.  I've done a few track days on them now and they keep lasting!  I only ride to about 80-90% at track days if that helps.  Have you considered dual compound like the Pirelli Corsa III or Pilot Power 2CT.  supposedly less center ware, more stickie on the sides [tip: Corsa sticky side patch is wider than the 2ct]
I thought you were a Perrelli man ?

In the tire test "shoot outs" I have read and as well as the majority of posts I have seen for the last 2-3 years I formed an opinion that the Michelin Pilot Power was the best compromise between performance and mileage. I would rather give a bit of mileage out of them and still retain the adhesion. On a bike like the busa, it is going to be pretty easy to spin the tire with too much throttle input. I have ridden a busa on OEM Bridgstones, Dunlop 208s, and the Pilot Powers. The PP out performs the other two in wear, ride, and cornering adhesion. They also work very well in wet conditions and heavy rain. The OEM Bridgstones were on someone else's bike so I didn't see wet on it. The 208s sucked on wet pavement but never rode them on more than a very light rain. IMO, if you want more mileage, there are other tires out there that will out last it, but you are going to be giving up some of the performance.

I just mounted up a Pilot Power 2CT on the front and have not been able to run it on the street yet. I have heard favorable feedback on the Dunlop Qualifiers (which replaced the 208s). Some prefer the cornering over the PPs, but they will not last as long in the same conditions as the PP.

I ran the Metzler and traded out the rear at about 7K and it had more to go. It did start to get that "greasy" feeling and was starting to follow road ruts (my first hint of time to ditch the rubber)

I am going to try a Pilot Road 2ct tire next..

M3's will get 7k easy for commuting.But they will have a flat spot in the center in that time.and yes they stick.Your right fist will tell the story on how quick they wear[speeking of 1st gear hits]I've slammed these tires to at least over 150+ every weekend several times a ride.Getting 7k is no problem running like that.I'm there now[7k],and at the wear bars.Will run a few more miles.Don't bother me a bit.New set here ready to go on.[after winter]$250 shipped TMD.Well worth it for the milage.But I do ride 70+ miles to run hard.Have to do alot of cruising to get there,that makes a big differance.
Then again I'm a tight wod,my wollet sometimes controls my fist
laugh.gif

Back