Tire Dilemma

For October I did ~1500 miles back and forth to work alone, that doesn't include weekend rides/cruises (no idea about those).

Fortunately a fair portion of my ride is very twisty and fun, but a lot of it is just highway.

It's really not hard for me to go through tires pretty quickly. ;)

Thanks for all the input so far guys. Good stuff.
thumb_up.gif

Here's my results with different sport touring tires. I'm 245 lbs and ride 50/50 twisties and commuting. All "mileage" in kilometers.

bridgestone bt56 5221 km
metzler z6 roadtec 8033 km
conti road attack 6285 km
pirelli strada 4829 km
michelin piliot road 5972 km
bridgestone 020 4002 km

The z6 were buy far my favorite so much so I bought two fronts and four rears.
IMG_0279Medium.jpg

Excellent wear, stick both wet and dry.
A good review is here http://www.bikeland.org/story.php?storyID=20256

cheers
ken

My son and I have been running the Maxxis Supermax tires for over a year. Although most of my riding is highway miles, I have had that tire on the dragon, the twisties in Arkansas, and some good corners in Missouri. They stick well and never give me the feeling they will not grip. I get about 6,000-7,000 miles on a rear. The best part is the price. I can get a rear for $120, $175 for a front and rear. You may want to try one, you might like it.

Right now motoxoutlet, where I have bought my last 3 tires has the 190/50 ZR 17 for $111.99. You could two of those for about what you would pay for one of the others.

Here's my results with different sport touring tires. I'm 245 lbs and ride 50/50 twisties and commuting. All "mileage" in kilometers.

bridgestone bt56       5221 km
metzler z6 roadtec     8033 km
conti road attack      6285 km
pirelli strada           4829 km
michelin piliot road   5972 km
bridgestone 020        4002 km

IMG_0279Medium.jpg

cheers
ken
Really informative post!

Thanks!!
smile.gif

My solution is to get a spare set of wheels off ebay. They have 2CT's mounted up and I run Continential Road Attacks everyday. I actually like the Connies, anything I can drag my knee with must be fair. Plus I can get 10K out of rears and got 20K out of the front.

My commuting tires can be hard as marbles. Time to play I'll take 20 minutes and swap for the stickier tires.

Whatever you do, stay away from Pilot Sport HPX's. Iffy grip and only lasted 4500 miles.

My M3s stick pretty good - well, they have not let me down yet... and seem to take longer to wear. I've done a few track days on them now and they keep lasting! I only ride to about 80-90% at track days if that helps. Have you considered dual compound like the Pirelli Corsa III or Pilot Power 2CT. supposedly less center ware, more stickie on the sides [tip: Corsa sticky side patch is wider than the 2ct]
I thought you were a Perrelli man ?
Yes, but I have an open mind. The M3 do not inspire the sticky confidence the Pirelli line does for me. I'll be on Corsa III's as soon as I can wear out these darn M3s!! They just won't die. I guess that is good, but i prefer stick over life span

bridgestone bt56 5221 km
metzler z6 roadtec 8033 km
conti road attack 6285 km
pirelli strada 4829 km
michelin piliot road 5972 km
bridgestone 020 4002 km

IMG_0279Medium.jpg

cheers
ken
Really informative post!

Thanks!!
smile.gif
You are welcome!

I've read that the strada and the z6 are the same tire yet I found the strada to be softer than the z6. I got 3200 more klicks out of the z6. With no noticeable loss of stick. The 020 sucked, it's been replaced by the 021. I should note that they are all 180 series. I suspect the 190s might give a bit more mileage. The 180s are cheaper though and turn in quicker. The z6 I ordered are "c spec", for the fjr 1300, meant bikes over 550 lbs.

good luck
ken

Big fan of the 2CT. Been using that one as long as it's been available, with great confidence.

Good luck with your choices. Good luck with your commute.

Good luck and good night.

It sounds like you do the same type of riding as Lamb! Haven't read anybody talk about profile of the tire. Since changing to 180/55/17 the dreaded flat spot doesn't appear nearly as quickly. Grip, in theory should be greater when leaned over compared to the 190/50's due to the sharper profile. It also seems that the pointiness(?) of the tire helps keep less rubber on the road when going straight. Less rubber on the road, less flat spot. It works for Lamb whether the logic is sound or not. Mileage has improved in both Bridgestone 014's and pilot powers. Good luck!

My solution is to get a spare set of wheels off ebay.  They have 2CT's mounted up and I run Continential Road Attacks everyday.  I actually like the Connies, anything I can drag my knee with must be fair.  Plus I can get 10K out of rears and got 20K out of the front.

My commuting tires can be hard as marbles.  Time to play I'll take 20 minutes and swap for the stickier tires.

Whatever you do, stay away from Pilot Sport HPX's.  Iffy grip and only lasted 4500 miles.
Now that is a Hi mile tire!
thumb_up.gif

I just ran around 8k on a set of Continental Road Attacks (front still good!!?)... I really liked them. A lot of commuting but two track days (beginner) and touched my knee a couple of times ... 4 trips to the Dragon, one 200 mile stretch on the VA Parkway ... more commuting. Multiple runs to 150+. A very "feely" tire as in you can feel all the different types of pavement more so than the OEMs. As a comparison ... I get 2-3K out of a stock Bridgestone rear. Just changed them out (back to a stock rear to run out a stock front) and its getting cold here (40 degrees). There was an amazing difference in warm up time (OEM worse) and when they (OEM) were cold it was friggin skittish (note they are new) in the cold. The Conti's warm up fast and stick in the twisties (not that I can knee drag every corner) but I never felt them slip unless I got on the throttle too hard coming out of a corner! Also ran about 100 miles in the rain in Eastern TN one day and they were much more confident in than I was. They run about 225 for a set delivered to your door ... I like em ... Seriously considering Qualifiers too - like the idea in this thread bout having two sets of wheels ... and change em out when not commuting!

KellyTrackDay0003__Large_.jpg

Have any of you guys tried runing a softer compound tire, up front ? Like a Perreli Diablo rear, and Corsa III front ? Or Pilot Power rear, and Pilot Power 2CT front ? Will this give you BETTER traction, or is it not good to run different compounds ?

I thought I heard that Perrelli was comming out, or came out with a new tire, Dual compound ?

I just got the Qualifier's put on a couple weeks ago (300 miles). I've heard people say now good they are, and then when I heard they were on sale, I figured why not ? They're my first pair, so I have no idea what kind of mileage to expect, but WOW, I can't believe how much of a difference they've made from the stock Battle Axe's !!

Have any of you guys tried runing a softer compound tire, up front ? Like a Perreli Diablo rear, and Corsa III front ? Or Pilot Power rear, and Pilot Power 2CT front ? Will this give you BETTER traction, or is it not good to run different compounds ?

I thought I heard that Perrelli was comming out, or came out with a new tire, Dual compound ?

I just got the Qualifier's put on a couple weeks ago (300 miles). I've heard people say now good they are, and then when I heard they were on sale, I figured why not ? They're my first pair, so I have no idea what kind of mileage to expect, but WOW, I can't believe how much of a difference they've made from the stock Battle Axe's !!
I'm not sure how it will work, but I am getting ready to try this combo. The front 2CT is mounted waiting on another rear wheel to mount the PP on the rear.

i just ordered the avon av55/56, heard many good things about them and that some people were getting 8-10K miles from a rear tire. i had these on my old zx6 and loved them, so we'll see how they take on the busa

Corsa III, PP 2CT, and BT021 are all dual compound.

I still prefer the BT021. I'm also considering the BT002 for a weekend tire. I'll use the BT021 for a commuting/trip tire.

I'm sure someone else's opinion will differ, but I won't run different compounds on front and back because I like my tires to have the same breaking point.

Sorry I didn't catch this sooner, bro. I'm running the 2CT and although I LOVE them in the twisties... I would not recommend for commute riding. I have about 1500 miles on the 190/55 profile and she's starting to flatten/wear out. Will most likely need to change by 3000. I've been real careful with the throttle as well.

IMO - invest in an extra set of wheels. One pair with touring rubber at 42 psi. The other with soft rubber at 36 psi for "fun" days.

Hrm, yeah. I just don't get that many "fun" days. My "fun" days are typically my commute on the way home when I go the back way behind Specht's through to Bulverde to Canyon Lake.

I may just stick with softer tires and suck up buying a new rear every 3 months. lol
smile.gif

Back