Got my Tobin seats...

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
Got the Tobin seats today. I put the front on and tried it as soon as I got it home. Needless to say, I took pics.
wink.gif
I haven't put the back on yet because I have to dig out the grab bar to put on with it. I included a pic of it anyway, just to show the excellent stitching.

I had Tobin do the seats with the dull finish material. For the Kanji logos I had him use a gloss black thread. It's clean and subtle without being gaudy and overdone. Initially I had also ordered lettering (planned paint theme title) on the ledge of the front seat. After reading Rev's comments and thinking about it I agreed with him that the lettering would be a bit over the top. It would also make selling the seats kinda tough if I didn't like them or if I wrecked the busa and wanted to part it out.

Anyway, enough blabbing. Here are the pics.

Stock seat for comparison:

stock_front.jpg

The Tobin front installed... You can compare this pic with the one above and see exactly where he cut and how much. I left the bike and camera/tripod still and just swapped the seat out. They should overlay perfectly with the only change being the lines of the seat.

I couldn't be happier with how clean and subtle the Kanji look in gloss black on dull black!
biggrin.gif

tobin_front.jpg

And a pic of the rear. The workmanship on the seats is awesome. Definitely looks like top notch upholstery work and stitching.

tobin_rear.jpg

Nice.

Are they as well padded as the original? One of the things I really
like about the busa is the nice fat seat which really saves on the
numb bum syndrome when doing long trips.

That curve at the rear must really help to hold you on when applying the afterburners.

Jimbo

Nice.

Are they as well padded as the original? One of the things I really
like about the busa is the nice fat seat which really saves on the
numb bum syndrome when doing long trips.

That curve at the rear must really help to hold you on when applying the afterburners.

Jimbo

**Note added 02/04/04**- The below statements were written before I had a chance to ride on my Tobin seat. The Tobin seat rides much better than the stock seat. I haven't missed the cut away padding at all and the seat fits my arse so much better that it makes even longer rides more comfortable. ***

No, it's not padded as well as the stock seat. It is definitely not a touring seat. It's more of a racing and hard riding seat. Some say they have no problems with the Tobin on trips but I think I'd swap on the stock seat or try a gel seat if I done much touring. I haven't done any real riding with the Tobin yet, just in the driveway. Feels like it will definitely be good for spirited riding.

The raised portion on the back of the seat is great. It hits just right on me. It'd be hard to custom shape it to my rump and get it any better. I can't wait to try it out on a real ride! Maybe tomorrow if the weather holds. I haven't torn it down for paint yet. I had to order some of the supplies and they haven't got here yet. Didn't want to tear it down until I had the stuff ready to go. I was hoping for another ride or two before it goes down for paint. Looks like I might get at least one.
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1075907076 -->

Looks really nice BT. Looking for ward to the unveiling in the...Spring?...Summer?
biggrin.gif

Looks really nice BT.  Looking for ward to the unveiling in the...Spring?...Summer?  
biggrin.gif
Thanks. Once I get started on the paint it shouldn't take more than a few weeks, working on it in my spare time. I had to order some of the materials I needed and they haven't came in yet. If they were here it would already be torn down and started. I was waiting to tear it down to see if I could squeeze in another ride or two before it's down. Might get one in tomorrow.
wink.gif

Wow, nice camera used. Such detail in the grain. I can even read the white label, on the stock wire harness visible along the right side of the vertical portion of the frame. Nice work on the seats. Good choice wid da blak on blak.

After reading you might consider modifiying your hump w/a dremel so you dont have to take off the grab rail. (cut two small notches in the hump).

ICE

Wow, nice camera used.  Such detail in the grain.  I can even read the white label, on the stock wire harness visible along the right side of the vertical portion of the frame.  Nice work on the seats.  Good choice wid da blak on blak.  

After reading you might consider modifiying your hump w/a dremel so you dont have to take off the grab rail.  (cut two small notches in the hump).

ICE
Thanks.
biggrin.gif
I had wondered how the blk on blk would come out but I think it was a good choice. As for the hump/rail mod, it's on the short list.
wink.gif

GUILTY!!! ....that seat looks great<span style='color:darkred'></span><span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'></span>

BT, the seats look great! Gives me something else to order. Just have to decide if I want to order them before I order my backlighting for the gauges.

Back