Going to talk to the recruiter

The Army recruiter said there is NO Combat Arms mos's in the Army Reserve, is there Combat Arms mos's in the Marine Reserves? ???

The Army recruiter is INCORRECT, and I have a TDA and UMR (manning documents) to prove it. There are 19D (Cavalry) MOS-specific slots in KY, and Infantry slots in the North. What the recruiter is telling you is that there may be no Combat Arms slots in USAR Units NEAR you. While I don't necessarily recommend it, there are PLENTY of Combat Arms units in the ARNG.

1) DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING on your first visit - it's his job to CLOSE the deal without letting you leave and he will use all the skill he has to get you to do it.

2) PM me with what he offers you.

3) Give me a zip code where you intend to live, and I'll have one of my recuiter buddies search what's nearby. In the end, if you intend to serve in the Reserve, you'll want a slot that's within daily driving distance of home (gets too expensive to stay out overnight for Battle Assembly).

Last edited:
What if I'm no good at mechanical stuff...(I sucked in shop class) "auto mechanics", I just don't think I'd be cut out for mechanic work.

What about MP's, does AF have that? ???

Air Force has Security Forces, it's NOT the Job you really want full time. But most duty locations have need for "reserve" Security Forces so you can volunteer and just do the SF thing part time.

Air Force also has the OSI, and LEs. Law Enforcement. Now SF and LE used to be two very different thing, but I think they've kinda got both of em now together. Not sure though.

LE is a decent career field if you can get into it.

How about college? It makes all the difference later in life. Combine Military Service and a Bachelors degree and you're in the house. If you have it in you serving as an officer is the only way to go. If that's not an option though at least get your degree while in the military and the Air Force is very pro education.

Besides, the Air Force is the only service that sends their Officers out to get shot too hell while the NCO's and Enlisted sit on a base somewhere flirting with all the pretty Air Force women.

Oh and No fooling Air Force has the Best looking women by far, and I never met a Female Airmen who was looking to marry an Air Force guy... Civilian women on the other hand can be pretty scandalous chasing benefits of the military men. SO BEWARE...

I've been in the the Coast Guard for 21 years now and love every minute of it. Not sure if you've looked into them. I was a Recruiter 5 months ago. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

I didn't read the entire message board on this topic....so if it was brought up, sorry. I just want to make sure you check all services before you make a life changing decision.

Not to highjack this thread, but I've recently been reading up on the Air Force due to all the good I've been hearing about it. I never grew up wanting to join the service or ever thought I would even be thinking about it.

I'm currently going to college for an A.S in computer networking and will eventually go for my bachelor's degree hoping to land a career in the 'cyber division' with the FBI. I was thinking of doing AF while finishing school thinking that would give me some kind of advantage later when I try for the FBI (not the only reason why I'd want to join but I see that as possibly being beneficial to me).

I haven't really talked to anyone about this. Figured this is a good place to do it and was just wondering what you guys thought seeing as how most of you been through this. Didn't want to walk up to a recruiter and go through all that pressure they put on people and overall I think I'd get some better advice here anyways.

(Sorry for the hijacking of the thread :beerchug:)

Not to highjack this thread, but I've recently been reading up on the Air Force due to all the good I've been hearing about it. I never grew up wanting to join the service or ever thought I would even be thinking about it.

I'm currently going to college for an A.S in computer networking and will eventually go for my bachelor's degree hoping to land a career in the 'cyber division' with the FBI. I was thinking of doing AF while finishing school thinking that would give me some kind of advantage later when I try for the FBI (not the only reason why I'd want to join but I see that as possibly being beneficial to me).

I haven't really talked to anyone about this. Figured this is a good place to do it and was just wondering what you guys thought seeing as how most of you been through this. Didn't want to walk up to a recruiter and go through all that pressure they put on people and overall I think I'd get some better advice here anyways.

Nothing wrong with the thought of using your service in the Armed Forces (in this case the Air Force) to help you obtain skills that will benefit you in the future. It is absolutely beneficial:

1) See if you can get into the skill area that you want.
2) Fully fund and utilize your GI Bill benefits during and after your enlistment
3) FBI LIKES former servicemembers (and don't forget Veteran's Preference)

If the Marines is not calling to you in your dreams, do something else. If you want to be one of the Few and the Proud, the marine Corps is the only way to go. Go infantry. Go Machinegunner! Happiness is a belt fed weapon. Don't go reserve, go Active Duty. If you are gonna do something, don't half step, get everything out of it you can. You will not walk away with a tech school, or gert some cushy living quarters, or all the comforts of home, but you will walk away a MAN. Step up to the plate and swing for the fences. SEMPER FI! If everyone could BE a Marine, everyone would.

This post has stood out to me the most, (not saying that I disreguard what everyone else say's)...but this sounds as close to what I want as possible.

I want to walk away knowing I'm part of a smaller group, more AGRESSIVE and FEARED group. I want to be part of a smaller brotherhood, and be trained to be as deadly a fighter as possible.

Oh, and "happiness is a belt fed weapon," THAT sounds VERY enticing!

Those of you who say that you get tired of lugging around a rifle 24-7, that may be opinion.

I've been a gun NUT since I can remember. The only reason I don't carry my rifle on my shoulder everywhere I walk is because of the obvious legal restrictions, and the fact it would scare the hell out of people!:whistle:

I just don't think I would ever get tired of carrying my rifle. I've always put a lot of confidence in my marksmanship ability, (my parents always told me I put TOO much of my security/confidence in my firearms). The way I see it, is if I can't shoot to kill it, I'm probably somewhere where I shouldn't be.:laugh:

I don't want to sound crazy, (and maybe you guys are right), but I just think based on my interests infantry/special forces would be my best bet.:thumbsup:

Again, this above post has stood out to me the most...maybe I'm right in thinking about going into the Marines. I would like to be a part of a brotherhood like that. To know that I'm one of the most vicious fighters on the planet!:thumbsup:

Not a Hijack really.

I'd skip the military and get in touch NOW with the FBI, let em' know what it is you are looking to do, find out what THEY recommend you do. Just like the NSA, CIA, NRO, etc... They will actively recruit right outta college so the earlier you can get in touch with them and get a program started that suits them the better off you'll be.

Quit Smoking pot and Quit Drinking, :whistle: get into good physical shape, and keep your GPA right at the top 3.8-4.0. Also don't be tempted to sell yourself short, go after the position you want and don't forget about the Secret Service, NSA and CIA. They've all got lots to offer especially if you're current, do NOT rely on a University to keep your tech skills current when it comes to Computer science, Software, etc... Universities tend to run a year or more behind the real world, so it's up to you to stay on top of current tech.

Military service Might help here, but to be honest it will likely be a waste of your time if your planning on having a good degree with good grades already. You'll find yourself in the Air Force as an Officer making not a lot of money while opportunities come and go while you're stuck in the military serving out your obligation.

Not a Hijack really.

I'd skip the military and get in touch NOW with the FBI, let em' know what it is you are looking to do, find out what THEY recommend you do. Just like the NSA, CIA, NRO, etc... They will actively recruit right outta college so the earlier you can get in touch with them and get a program started that suits them the better off you'll be.

Quit Smoking pot and Quit Drinking, :whistle: get into good physical shape, and keep your GPA right at the top 3.8-4.0. Also don't be tempted to sell yourself short, go after the position you want and don't forget about the Secret Service, NSA and CIA. They've all got lots to offer especially if you're current, do NOT rely on a University to keep your tech skills current when it comes to Computer science, Software, etc... Universities tend to run a year or more behind the real world, so it's up to you to stay on top of current tech.

Military service Might help here, but to be honest it will likely be a waste of your time if your planning on having a good degree with good grades already. You'll find yourself in the Air Force as an Officer making not a lot of money while opportunities come and go while you're stuck in the military serving out your obligation.

+1 on this.

Also, you said you've NEVER though about doing service until now...

I've been interested in the military/police since I was little. That is why I'm thinking pretty heavily about going. Plus, I won't be able to get a decent LE job until I'm 21 anyway. So a few years in the service would probably be a benefit.

Plus, if I become an SF operator...MAN O' MAN would I have it made!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

This post has stood out to me the most, (not saying that I disreguard what everyone else say's)...but this sounds as close to what I want as possible.

I want to walk away knowing I'm part of a smaller group, more AGRESSIVE and FEARED group. I want to be part of a smaller brotherhood, and be trained to be as deadly a fighter as possible.

Oh, and "happiness is a belt fed weapon," THAT sounds VERY enticing!

Those of you who say that you get tired of lugging around a rifle 24-7, that may be opinion.

I've been a gun NUT since I can remember. The only reason I don't carry my rifle on my shoulder everywhere I walk is because of the obvious legal restrictions, and the fact it would scare the hell out of people!:whistle:

I just don't think I would ever get tired of carrying my rifle. I've always put a lot of confidence in my marksmanship ability, (my parents always told me I put TOO much of my security/confidence in my firearms). The way I see it, is if I can't shoot to kill it, I'm probably somewhere where I shouldn't be.:laugh:

I don't want to sound crazy, (and maybe you guys are right), but I just think based on my interests infantry/special forces would be my best bet.:thumbsup:

Again, this above post has stood out to me the most...maybe I'm right in thinking about going into the Marines. I would like to be a part of a brotherhood like that. To know that I'm one of the most vicious fighters on the planet!:thumbsup:

Umm Yeah BUT you missed the point of his entire first sentence...

It's your choice, just for the love of pete, try TRY to Aim a little higher than Bullet Catcher. Aim for Artillery, or Tanks. It's still infantry, you'll get your rifle, but you'll also have some serious firepower to play with as well.

But if you're bound and determined to have your A55 handed to you, then have it handed to you by the Marines. Start Running NOW, need to be up to about 3-5 miles a day, work on your upper body, and remember Marines love Chin ups, Push ups, and anything else that hurts, makes you sweaty, then makes you dirty.

Still though, as wishy washy as you've been Bro, Air Force is the only way to go. :thumbsup:

Umm Yeah BUT you missed the point of his entire first sentence...

It's your choice, just for the love of pete, try TRY to Aim a little higher than Bullet Catcher. Aim for Artillery, or Tanks. It's still infantry, you'll get your rifle, but you'll also have some serious firepower to play with as well.

But if you're bound and determined to have your A55 handed to you, then have it handed to you by the Marines. Start Running NOW, need to be up to about 3-5 miles a day, work on your upper body, and remember Marines love Chin ups, Push ups, and anything else that hurts, makes you sweaty, then makes you dirty.

Still though, as wishy washy as you've been Bro, Air Force is the only way to go. :thumbsup:

Well, if I'm going to go active duty, I think I should try out for SpecOps...I've always loved that stuff, and I think I'd be good at it.

There's nothing wrong with "bullet catcher," someone's gotta do it...and there's nothing wrong with Army, my Grandfather and two (in fact I think three) of my cousins were/are Army. (All infantry/airborne).

I want to go farther and go SpecOps, I want to be a GB and get to do all of the covert ops, and be a part of that brotherhood.

If there isn't a Marine Reserve Infantry in KS, then that's what I'll probably go for...Army/Marine SpecOps. I have a really strong desire to do that, and I think I'd be good at it.

Hey Rev, while I'm thinking about it...didn't you say that Army is the bottom of the barrel? Or something to that extent?

Why do you guys say that Army/Marines isn't as good as Airforce?

Army has 9week basic...
Marines have 12week basic...
Airforce has 6week basic...

I would think the longer training would be more beneficial for combat...don't ya think? ???

they all have a different way of doing business. I wouldn't say one is better. it's all about what your looking for.

United States Air Force - AirForce.com

i know you might not care about this, but check into sign on bonus's.

Have a plan B. Just incase you don't make the cut. Not try'n to wish you any bad luck, but there is a wash out rate for just about every job.

I tell my kids the same thin. Have a plan just incase you get thrown a screwball. Pick 3 or 4 career's

WE all deploy, carry guns and miss holidays...do what your gut tells you...

jason2 airplane.jpg

Back