Going to talk to the recruiter

some of your threads confuse me 08.
why join up, other than to get tuffed up.
have fun.
war isn't a game.
america might be the tuffest country (there's that word again) in the world. but war isn't the answer. i watch al jazera news. i think it's more informative and honest than even the bbc rubbish. and america is in a bad way/bad shape from what i've heard.
fookin rediculous.
so...what will your name be next year.
i also wanted to ask, if you watch the moto gp on tv. do you get the commentators with randy mamola? do i deserve an answer?

Did I just waste a bunch of time reading this post. I'm thinking, Yep.

SJ's post was right on for the most part.

The Army is NOW taking people right out of basic for the q course. Called "fast track" or something like that. We volunteer for Phase 4 "Robin sage" and that's one of the gripes of the instructors. A lot of soldiers in the course don't have any "boot's on the ground" experience. I think the goal was to boost our SF numbers.

Good luck, but if all you want to do is shoot then go by an AR and a case of ammo. Have all the fun you want without the 4 year commitment.

Chris

Great Post. He basically echoed everything I was going to say.
I'm a 10 year veteran myself, so definitely heed his advice.

If you know any one that is a service member, take them with you.
I'm going back in as an officer in 8 weeks I get my B.S. Degree, and I'll be applying for OCS.

Just keep in mind these guys are salesmen. It is their job to make everything sound great and to sell you on the idea that you want to enlist.

They usually have a list of certain jobs they need filled and will do their best to stear you in the direction they need you to go.

I would make it a point to also talk to Navy, Air Force and even the Coast Guard. Yes I did say Coast Guard. If you are looking at a career in law enforcement after the military the Coast Guard would be a great start, especially if you are interested in something like a DEA job. Different branches will need to fill different slots and by talking to all of them you are effectively covering all your options.

Infantry isn't a bad thing, but if you can get the government to give you some type of specialized training, especially something that has a use in the civilian world, you will be helping yourself in the long run.

Last edited:
Did I just waste a bunch of time reading this post. I'm thinking, Yep.

SJ's post was right on for the most part.

The Army is NOW taking people right out of basic for the q course. Called "fast track" or something like that. We volunteer for Phase 4 "Robin sage" and that's one of the gripes of the instructors. A lot of soldiers in the course don't have any "boot's on the ground" experience. I think the goal was to boost our SF numbers.

Good luck, but if all you want to do is shoot then go by an AR and a case of ammo. Have all the fun you want without the 4 year commitment.

Chris

I also want to serve man. I want to learn, try new things, and the Army will also help me get on my feet for living on my own. Things that I don't have the funds for now anyway.

Its also a way to pay for college...I want a degree in computers most likely.

The reasons I want to be a rifleman/infantryman I will keep to myself. I would probably just aggrivate people further, so I will just do all of us a favor and stay silent on that.

I just see this as a great opportunity to get to do things that I'd never get to ordinarily do.

I know most of you say "war isn't a game" but I've had more than one person say that combat is one of the most exciting times of their life, and some even said they liked it.

I know it's kinda callous, but why would you volunteer to find/kill people if you didn't (in at least the BACK of your mind) enjoy it a little. A little callous I know, but I'm sure it's true to an extent, (even if you won't admit this).

They have a 2yr enlisment, so if I decide this isn't for me, then I'll just be done in 2yrs.

I think I will like it though, and my goal is to be a Green Beret. SJ, you were right, I can't be a GB for at least 3yrs because I'm not 21, and it takes a long time to get through the training. (Even with the fast-track program, which is what I was talking about). I apologize if I was arrogant.

You all have helped tremendously...to you guys that are in the Army, what was basic like? Did you enjoy it? Do you have any tips?

people like shooting rifles at each other. brilliant fun. ducking and diving, and it's even better in the snow. so i've read anyhoo.

I also want to serve man. I want to learn, try new things, and the Army will also help me get on my feet for living on my own. Things that I don't have the funds for now anyway.

Its also a way to pay for college...I want a degree in computers most likely.

The reasons I want to be a rifleman/infantryman I will keep to myself. I would probably just aggrivate people further, so I will just do all of us a favor and stay silent on that.

I just see this as a great opportunity to get to do things that I'd never get to ordinarily do.

I know most of you say "war isn't a game" but I've had more than one person say that combat is one of the most exciting times of their life, and some even said they liked it.

I know it's kinda callous, but why would you volunteer to find/kill people if you didn't (in at least the BACK of your mind) enjoy it a little. A little callous I know, but I'm sure it's true to an extent, (even if you won't admit this).

They have a 2yr enlisment, so if I decide this isn't for me, then I'll just be done in 2yrs.

I think I will like it though, and my goal is to be a Green Beret. SJ, you were right, I can't be a GB for at least 3yrs because I'm not 21, and it takes a long time to get through the training. (Even with the fast-track program, which is what I was talking about). I apologize if I was arrogant.

You all have helped tremendously...to you guys that are in the Army, what was basic like? Did you enjoy it? Do you have any tips?

You need to slow down bro... Seriously. Listen to folks that have been in situations that were life and death.

DON'T Listen to some recruiters fantasy land BS line. There is NOTHING "exciting" about actually being shot at. The fools that are talking sh!d about how "exciting" it is have NEVER actually been under direct fire... Just about guarantee it. They may have been in the AOR, but most likely they've been sitting behind a desk. Just like the Admin troops assigned to a Ranger battalion and are authorized to wear the beret without actually being through the schools.

There is brotherhood to be had in infantry, but you'll be hard pressed to find a grunt out in the dirt, that doesn't wish they were flying out on that C130 back to comfy base with real showers and food...

All I'm saying here Moto, is think real hard about where you are going in the future, where you want to be. If you really understand Infantry and it's limitations/mission fine. Go be all you can be, or be one of the "few the Proud". But for the love of Pete, don't dig your heals in, get stubborn and do miss out on some of the best opportunities available in the armed forces today. There are a lot better ways to serve than on your feet with a rifle in your hands.

Good luck with your decision, remember that what you choose to do will shape the rest of your life, and skills you will learn will either be completely useless in the civilian world, or a stepping stone for the rest of your life.

some of your threads confuse me 08.
why join up, other than to get tuffed up.
have fun.
war isn't a game.
america might be the tuffest country (there's that word again) in the world. but war isn't the answer. i watch al jazera news. i think it's more informative and honest than even the bbc rubbish. and america is in a bad way/bad shape from what i've heard.
fookin rediculous.
so...what will your name be next year.
i also wanted to ask, if you watch the moto gp on tv. do you get the commentators with randy mamola? do i deserve an answer?

Believe it or not, there are many Citizens of the United States that feel personally responsible at a very basic level for the protection of the U.S. and the U.S. Constitution. They feel a need to give something back, it has nothing to do with "tuff" or Macho, or whatever other trite canned thought you feel like throwing out there. Nor does it have anything to do with God, Christianity, or a political party. "Nobody hates war more than a soldier..." Dunno who said it, but it's true...

I joined and served because I wanted to do something real. What I found was that I've earned my Citizenship, I've served the Country that has served me so well and provided me with an amazing way of life, freedoms I enjoy daily, and opportunities not available anywhere else in the world.

It's not about some B.S. political belief you feel the need to assign, maybe you'll never understand, but it was about protecting and defending the Constitution of the United States, that's what I swore an Oath to defend. I didn't swear an Oath to a political party, or some pithy little freshman ideals.

+1,000,000 to Revlis.

People don't get it unless they have spent some time in the service. Everyone else is just blowing smoke.

Those who do, can't explain; those who don't, can't understand....

Ever thought that people might volunteer for... hmm I don't know, maybe wanting to make a difference, or to serve for their country? Why do they HAVE to feel enjoyment? There is no doubt people sign up just for this reason, to want and get enjoyment out of it, but that doesn't make them right. Why would anyone get a kick out of taking someones life? Whether that person is an enemy or not, it shouldn't be looked at as something to enjoy. Maybe pick up paint balling as a hobbie or something if you want to get enjoyment for shooting at others :laugh:

You seem really smart and know what you want out of life, which a lot of people your age don't really do (or at least around here). There are several other ways of doing what you are looking for without having to shoot a gun at someone. You seem to have your reasons and want to keep it on the low so I respect that. Just try to think about it and as the others have said, keep your options open. AF are big with computers too if thats something you plan on working with as a career. GL :thumbsup:

Believe it or not, there are many Citizens of the United States that feel personally responsible at a very basic level for the protection of the U.S. and the U.S. Constitution. They feel a need to give something back, it has nothing to do with "tuff" or Macho, or whatever other trite canned thought you feel like throwing out there. Nor does it have anything to do with God, Christianity, or a political party. "Nobody hates war more than a soldier..." Dunno who said it, but it's true...

I joined and served because I wanted to do something real. What I found was that I've earned my Citizenship, I've served the Country that has served me so well and provided me with an amazing way of life, freedoms I enjoy daily, and opportunities not available anywhere else in the world.

It's not about some B.S. political belief you feel the need to assign, maybe you'll never understand, but it was about protecting and defending the Constitution of the United States, that's what I swore an Oath to defend. I didn't swear an Oath to a political party, or some pithy little freshman ideals.

:thumbsup: :beerchug:

After reading all this I don't feel entirely qualified to comment, having not served. But as the son of a Marine who went ashore at Gaudalcanal, and then re-upped with the Army to finish out his career (26 more years in Army Intelligence), I have a profound respect for the Military. My father's military service made him the man he was, and he in turn made me the man I am.

Now, as an employer, here is what I come across: 22 or 23 year old kids who come out of a 4 year enlistment, the vast majority of them with no specific skill set that crosses over into a career. Note the word "career", not "job". If you are looking into military service, you must approach it as a career choice, and give it worthy research as such. If you are just looking for something to fill in 4 years of your young life, you are much better off spending those years in school....community college, even a trade school. The education will be worth FAR more in 4 years than the military stint, without fail.

My final thought: Any and all the advice you have been given here, from members of any Branch, is worth 1000 times anything any recruiter tells you. Those guys get paid to make you believe their version of the fantasy.....be very cautious with them.

also remember this
Not all that deploy make it back home. Most of the deaths during desert shield/storm were no where near the front lines. (I was there)

Thanks to all of you who have served, and have offered advice. I respect you greatly for taking the time to help me out.

I realize the dangers, hardships, and difficulties with this choice. I realize that it won't always be fun, but I'm about 90% sure this is what is for me.

I'm going to go for Ranger school, and I want to be an infantryman. It's just what I'm interested in.

But, I also plan to do things that will prepare me for the civillian sector. As you guys have suggested.

Thanks everyone...:bowdown:

I am prior Army but let me say from a scholastic p.o.v the Navy has some awesome opportunities for those savy enough to harness them. Get your stuff in writing and whatever you do, sign up for a few years at a time, get the re-up bonus and knock out your degree in the process. Its a no brainer.

I joined when I was 17 & thought the same way that you do. Be warned.......if you're planning on joining any of the Special Forces, including Rangers, you will be literally running yer azz off.....5 to 7 miles at a time. I wish you the best Motogp08. :beerchug:

Back