MARINES......

To ALL the Marines that posted:

Thanks for your help and insight.  I expected nothing less from the Corps
beerchug.gif

I'll probably be calling a recruiter this week and go talk to him myself prior to bringing Nick into this.  I want this to be HIS decision, but I want to be as prepared as possible to help him out and guide him if he does chose the Marines.

I may have confused some of you earlier.  Srry about that...

Nick does NOT have a GED, nor does he have a diploma.  He has little, if any, High School credits and seems to have no ambition to finish them.  I don't think it's a lack of ambition as much as it is, the realization of the overwhealming task of trying to finish High School.  I almost feel sorry for the kid, but I didn't create the situation that he's in.  I'm just trying to figure out how to help him be a better person and provider for my daughter.

Thanks again for your help
cool.gif
 If any of your recruiter friend have any more info, PM me and I'll provide an address to send stuff to.
Yeesh, Jim; the Corps is not gonna want this kid right now. Eductational certificate and ASVAB scores are a basic pre-requisite, no matter what kind of shape you're in - unless, of course, things have changed since I was in the Fleet. I think even the ARMY requires a diploma or equivalent.

I think they're gonna tell this kid they are interested in quality and not quantity.

When I went into the Corps in 1983, they did not take a GED, I had to also take and pass a high school equivalency test

As far as the ASVAB and minimum score.. not totally sure but I think for the Marines it is like 38

I scored a 119.

Not mentioning that to brag. Mentioning that for a point of reference.

With my score of 119 there was not much I did not qualify for

I think the average score is somewhere in the area of mid 70’s (I think)

If you score the minimum (lets say 38 is the minimum) you are grunt material. Nothing wrong with Grunts. But your career path and options in the military and after the military are somewhat limited.

However no matter what, any branch of service, if you complete your enlistment honorably is pretty much a ticket into most police departments.

As far as what he would qualify for? Totally depends on his score and what fields are currently open

If and when you talk to a recruiter. Keep in mind.. if it is not written in the contract. Don’t count on it.

Good luck stkr

I sort of figured that he was gonna have a hard time getting in...no shock there.
blush.gif

I'll probably still go talk to the recruiter, but more to just find out info than anything else. Like I said...he has to decide what he's going to do to straighten his life out. I can only try to help him along the way.

Maybe I should just take him on a dive trip to the wrecks of Lake Michigan. Hopefully he wouldn't have one of those freak diving "accidents".
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Been a while since I was in so I'm not going to speak to that side of things. However, I would like to point out one very subtle thing.

It sounds to me like he is truly toying with the idea of joining. He also seems to realize his past mistakes and is seeking a way to correct (some of) them. More so it sounds like he's looking for YOUR approval long term. He's trying to find something that you did. That you are proud of or perhaps that your daughter is proud of you for and in turn do the same. If this is the case, he could be a diamond in the rough for your daughter.

That's a ton of pressure on you but the long-term rewards could pay off times over for everyone involved!

Best of luck to you and your family!

Been a while since I was in so I'm not going to speak to that side of things. However, I would like to point out one very subtle thing.

It sounds to me like he is truly toying with the idea of joining. He also seems to realize his past mistakes and is seeking a way to correct (some of) them. More so it sounds like he's looking for YOUR approval long term. He's trying to find something that you did. That you are proud of or perhaps that your daughter is proud of you for and in turn do the same. If this is the case, he could be a diamond in the rough for your daughter.

That's a ton of pressure on you but the long-term rewards could pay off times over for everyone involved!

Best of luck to you and your family!
Dam...never actually thought of it that way. Thanks HT
beerchug.gif

I guess I'll have to rethink the diving trip
wink.gif

Back