Goin to the Dark Side!

TruWrecks

Banned
Okay guys, and gals!

I may have finally fallen off my rocker (Diablobusa), because I went out today looking at cruisers and tour bikes today!
wow.gif
I'm making plans to get a new bike early next year, after I'm all healed up, and I want to get something that the Mrs. will join me on.

I can still say I've owned and ridden the best sportbike made to date!

I'll still have 2 wheels, and 95ft/lbs of tq, just not the speed of the Busa!

This is gonna hurt some eyes, but I've gotta do it!

(Please don't hate me for it. I've gotta do what's best for my family, and expiring before 40 isn't it!)

Here's what I found:

(for two up riding, and long trips)

w_toFLHTCU_ssw_dom_C22.jpg

I know it'll be hard for some to except, but those bikes have always hay a place in my heart, much like the Busa!

(and solo config will look kind of like this)
That is the one I like. Put a backrest on it for the little woman and you are set to eat up some miles. You ought to check out the '06 yamaha Stratoliner. 113 cu. in. for a lot less money. Bigger, more powerful, cheaper everyone doesn't have one.

(and solo config will look kind of like this)
That is the one I like. Put a backrest on it for the little woman and you are set to eat up some miles. You ought to check out the '06 yamaha Stratoliner. 113 cu. in. for a lot less money. Bigger, more powerful, cheaper everyone doesn't have one.
The Stratoliner's nice, but I have my heart set on the Ultra Classic. I'm going to make the tour pack detachable, and I'm going to get a lower wind screen and solo seat for everyday riding.

I want the full tour gear for camping trips with the Mrs.
biggrin.gif

Huge Mistep... Telling ya, HD quality is no longer there. They ramped up production in an effort to keep up with all the hype and BS and the short lived run of good quality bikes ended. The "They hold their value" argument is falling apart as well, longtime owners are leaving HD cause of the new "Mass Hype" and new owners are selling left and right because they realized they were only chasing an image not actually wanting to ride. The market is glutted with HD's of all flavors and used prices are coming down.

Mostly bro, for the money, there are a shedload of better bikes available.

BUT, if it's what you want, and you just "have to Have" a Hardley. Then enjoy the ride man.
thumbs-up.gif

Oh and the stock HD's, ALL except a few Screaming Eagle models are seriously short of 95FtLbs of torque. Think, 70 to 80 Ft Lbs. Want an honest cruiser with a serious 105ftlbs of torque? Gotta be a VTX.

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1124522666 -->

Good luck with it... I know people who love them. My only thing is I hate those fairings... they always look like a complete afterthought to me.

I'm with Rev on the VTX, or a used Valkyrie Interstate. I loved the Valk for 2-up riding with my wife, but had to sell it 4 years ago when I was laid off.
sad.gif

get what you want, you're the one thats got to make the payments. i had good luck with a Harley. great resale value and you can get parts for any of them probably back to the 1920s. as long as ya still got a bike it's all good.

Rev has a point about the Harley's being underpowered, and quality going down. Hate to admit it though.

I have a 2000 FLHTCI and although I love the bike, if it weren't for the 1550cc Stage-II big bore kit, it would be WAY uunderpowered for its size. If you're going to get a new one, spend the extra money and get the big bore kit. Mine is a 95 CID, but they now make a 103 CID kit. You'll appreciate the extra power and torque...especially when riding two up with a lot of gear. The Stage-II kit comes with the cylynders, pistons, cams, and also remaps the fuel injection. You have to get some free flowing mufflers also to help it breathe.

If I had it to do all over again...I'd probably go with the Honda Goldwing GL1800. If you've never ridden one, then you owe it to yourself to do a demo ride if possible. The new Goldwing is a sportbike disquised as a touring bike. They will surprise you.

Whatever you decide, just make sure it's what YOU want. You have to do what is right for you and your family...and your back. There will be a some people that give you a hard time about not keeping the Busa, but they'll go away eventually. Whatever you get...just enjoy the ride.
cool.gif

agreed with rev and stkr - if you have to have a "look" and join a group, go HD, but PERSONALLY I would get ANY OTHER COMPANY's cruiser before an HD. It's your choice. I have a friend with an HD and it works OK for him.

Keep it on 2 wheels!!!!
smile.gif

As far as torque, the 95lbs is after the Screaming Eagle upgrade.  I'm partial to the open engine look.  The layout is very modular, so I can take some other the body work off and it still looks like a complete bike.  Have you ever seen a Goldwing stripped of it's tourbags?  It isn't a pretty site!
laugh.gif

On the reliability front, the "88" engine has proven itself very well. I can get parts for them almost anywhere, and they are some of the smoothest V's out there.

Everyone's entitled to there own, but HD is what appeals to me. I still love the Busa, and I'd really like to get another, but I'm going to have to refrain that urge.
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|TruWrecks
Reason for Edit: None given...|1124549468 -->

Back