Dark Visors?

bigc70

Registered
Question for all you vets out there. How many of you are using dark/reflective visors? And more importantly, how do you handle the transition from day to night?

I'm using a clear visor right now and I'm about to buy a new helmet. I think I'm going to get either a dark or mirror visor for this helmet. My only worry is jumping on my bike with it mid day and being out all day and having to use it at night.

Are there visors that adjust for vision at night? Or do you vets keep an extra clear visor with you?

Thanks in advance.

I'm just lazy so I only carry my tinted visor. Don't do much riding at night, but I wear sunglasses underneath so I can flip up the visor if I need to.

I wear my tinted visor most the the time, and I have sun glasses on under the visor. At night, the HID's make it fine, but, as I am getting older, I do carry my clear visor in my tank bag, and will switch when I need to.

I went with the HJC helmet that has a built-in pop-down tinted visor behind the clear visor. It worked great on the ride to Death Valley. When I left in the morning I had the sunvisor up, when sun came out, I just slid it into position and kept on riding. Never had to stop. I wear prescription glasses so changing back and forth from glasses to sunglasses was becoming a royal pain.

I ride with dark visor and keep a set of work clear safety glasses in the trunk. If it gets dark I ride with the safety glasses on and dark visor up. If I start out on on a night ride from home, I just wear the other helmet that has a clear visor on.

Shoei helmet has a visor you can change in seconds.. I just carry my clear visor if worried about getting caught out after dark..

I just try to plan for it, Have both, but usually if caught after dark and have tinted on, i just leave it up because i wear regular glasses. might catch a few bugs though.

Thx for all the input so far. one more question for those of you who carry an extra visor - when you do carry the extra, where do you keep it? i dont think theres enough room in the "trunk"

I wear a dark visor and clip ons to my sunglasses. When it's getting close to night I switch out the dark visor with my reflective one/clear that's in my sport bag that's always on the back of my bike. (One of the times I'm glad a don't have a Busa, as it usually looks better with the hump.)

My helmet, HJC-SP, makes switching visors extremely easy. I'd imagine when I got a bike like you guys I'd get the hop mod done, or some such, to have some degree of storage without my sport bag. Probably just going to have it off a lot, and the sport bag on, though.

I have a bronze visor that doesn't darken everything up. the flip down innner visors from HJC or Scorpion are also nice and easy. read somewhere someone had a visor that changed with the light

i couldnt live without a dark visor. as for night riding im one of those people that always has a tank bag with me so i carry my clear visor

I ride with dark visor and keep a set of work clear safety glasses in the trunk. If it gets dark I ride with the safety glasses on and dark visor up. If I start out on on a night ride from home, I just wear the other helmet that has a clear visor on.

+1
This is what I do as well.

Mirrored visor, clear glasses if I get caught without my clear shield.

check out Gmax helmets

pswowinc_2033_357103080.gif

Clear visor. I have sunglasses. My HJC visor would swap in seconds as well, but the sunglasses seem to be the easy fix. I don't ride a lot at night, probably less than 5% of my miles.

I have the perfect solution for your problems and it is pretty cool also. It is call a sun shift visor. It actually changes from tinted to clear depending on the intensity of the sunlight. Check it out for yourself Akuma Helmets Official Website. Their helmets are pretty cool also offering sweet designs and a LED map light standard in their helmets. Also, it is not out for sale yet but they are developing a "tint on demand" visor. It uses a very small battery installed on the helmet that runs that LED reading light, and it energizes some molecules... well here is an article on it. Akuma Gemini Visor - Akuma Aegis Visor - webBikeWorld. I hope this helps someone rock a very rare helmet.

All my helmets have both visors, clear and dark. Depending on what I have on, I carry the clear under the hump. Don't have a trunk mod or anything, the natural curve of the visor seems to fit down into, and follow the curve of the inner fender (Not stock, though, so that might be the issue). I keep it wrapped in a tee-shirt to protect from scratches. I don't really ride that much at night (I hate cleaning all the bug shid off everything) but don't like getting caught out having to ride with the visor up. :beerchug:

Back