Gen 3 'busa has been dropped off at dealer to have ABM Superbike handlebar kit installed.

That labor rate is fine, out here it’s $180 per hour. But them taking a full day to do the job is ridiculous. Before any shop work we should always get a written estimate and then tell the service writer to contact us when it’s about to exceed that estimate. Good luck.

They want to act like bleeding ABS systems requires some sort of witchcraft. Cars have had ABS for 40 years. That labor charge is insane! That's coming from a guy (me) who's worked in a Honda/Triumph/BMW dealership AND a Harley dealership. They are going to say it's a modification therefore there isn't a "book cost" for the labor. Basically they can charge what they want. They can technically charge all the hours the tech worked on it buuuuut did he not go to lunch that day? Did he not take a poop? It's highly unlikely he worked on it for eight straight hours. Don't go in all angry but try and negotiate some. If it's your local dealer and you're going to be buying gear parts or getting services done there they'll be more likely to work with you. If it's one of the chain dealers like WOW or Ride Now/Freedom you are probably screwed. But it doesn't hurt to try. Talk to the service manager and be charismatic and agreeable say how you plan on spending money here in the future blah blah blah. It's a game we unfortunately have to play and believe me I HATE having to do this dance.

I just got a call from the dealer; my bike is ready. Their labor rate is $100-/hr., which is less than most. The local Honda auto dealer charges $135-/hr. Anyway, the bill came to EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS. That's right; it took 8 hours to do it. It's a Gen. 3 so it has ABS, and apparently that's a lot of work right there. I didn't get into all the details on the phone because I was trying to enjoy a Valentines Day meal in a nice restaurant. (It's the last nice restaurant I'll be going to for a while.)
I don't know if they had to sculpt the windshield to make room for lock-to-lock steering. I'll be going to pick it up on a warmish day. It's 20 degrees F. right now. That'll give me some time to sell an organ or two to raise the cash.
BEWARE! Make sure you can't do it yourself before you sign up to spend this much money. When I get to the dealer, I will get the whole story and find out why it took so many hours to do.
Wow.....that is an incredibly steep price to pay to install a handlebar kit. I was thinking of doing the same but not at that price, I'll start off with bar risers and be happy.

Consider this;
It's a dealership.
Some fairings have to come off, and the gas tank.
Brake fluid vacuumed out.
Rubber And steel hard lines need to come out.
New lines installed, fluid filled, brakes bled.
Oem top plate and top clamp removed.
Some come right off, others will fight you.
(I have done 2 ABM conversions on a Gen2, and a Gsxr1k.
I have also put ss lines on an ABS gsxr1k)
Reroute wiring harnesses.
Reinstall switches, mc's, put on new grips.
Put fairings back on.
Test everything, and test ride it.
So, to do it all in one 8 hour shift, especially if you havn't done one before, or put ss lines on an ABS bike, is not a bad first time at all.
Can he do it faster the next time? Sure.
But to say that the dealer is ripping someone off...nah, not for a first time on a job full of unknowns.

Consider this;
It's a dealership.
Some fairings have to come off, and the gas tank.
Brake fluid vacuumed out.
Rubber And steel hard lines need to come out.
New lines installed, fluid filled, brakes bled.
Oem top plate and top clamp removed.
Some come right off, others will fight you.
(I have done 2 ABM conversions on a Gen2, and a Gsxr1k.
I have also put ss lines on an ABS gsxr1k)
Reroute wiring harnesses.
Reinstall switches, mc's, put on new grips.
Put fairings back on.
Test everything, and test ride it.
So, to do it all in one 8 hour shift, especially if you havn't done one before, or put ss lines on an ABS bike, is not a bad first time at all.
Can he do it faster the next time? Sure.
But to say that the dealer is ripping someone off...nah, not for a first time on a job full of unknowns.
The dealership has a very good reputation and has been around a long time. I think it was their first time installing the kit. I will be going down there within a week. Waiting at present for a warm day and collecting money to buy my bike back. Then I'll take some pictures and report on the install.

At least you have the dealer, who hopefully, does it right. If I had to do all the things 6 mentioned above, I'd for sure mess up at least one step. lol
The instructions warn against doing the install unless you are sure you know what you're doing. I seem to recall the words "injury" and "death" being mentioned.

They want to act like bleeding ABS systems requires some sort of witchcraft. Cars have had ABS for 40 years. That labor charge is insane! That's coming from a guy (me) who's worked in a Honda/Triumph/BMW dealership AND a Harley dealership. They are going to say it's a modification therefore there isn't a "book cost" for the labor. Basically they can charge what they want. They can technically charge all the hours the tech worked on it buuuuut did he not go to lunch that day? Did he not take a poop? It's highly unlikely he worked on it for eight straight hours. Don't go in all angry but try and negotiate some. If it's your local dealer and you're going to be buying gear parts or getting services done there they'll be more likely to work with you. If it's one of the chain dealers like WOW or Ride Now/Freedom you are probably screwed. But it doesn't hurt to try. Talk to the service manager and be charismatic and agreeable say how you plan on spending money here in the future blah blah blah. It's a game we unfortunately have to play and believe me I HATE having to do this dance.
Thanks for that. I am the world's worst businessman. Buy high, sell low: that's my motto. I'll see what I can do, however.

It also makes it more keepable; I could only ride for a couple hours at a time. Now it should be good for longer distances. They rode it down at the dealer's and everybody said it made a big difference.

It is a dramatic difference.
Think dirtbike instead of sportbike.
And, if you havn't lowered your footpegs, 1"-1.5" makes a suprisingly noticeable improvement for your knees.
It's also a cheap and easy mod.

Excited to see it. I posed a question for gen3 users and this mod over a year ago but no responses on the gen 3.
I have done this conversion on other bikes and it was always very positive for me. On the hayabusa it will be good to hear what you think of changes to aero, wind protection and handling you notice.

As to dealer costs, it is what it is. If we are very competent then DIY is obviously cheaper. Dealers - if a good mechanic - also take extra care to not ding anything and wont take shortcuts. Or shouldnt. Since you are paying for a careful job it should be perfect - so be sure to check everything well for nicks or rounded fasteners etc and no interference and get all your original parts and lines in case you ever sell. Once you start riding the cost will fade away and just calculate cost per mile if that helps!

Bill

Excited to see it. I posed a question for gen3 users and this mod over a year ago but no responses on the gen 3.
I have done this conversion on other bikes and it was always very positive for me. On the hayabusa it will be good to hear what you think of changes to aero, wind protection and handling you notice.

As to dealer costs, it is what it is. If we are very competent then DIY is obviously cheaper. Dealers - if a good mechanic - also take extra care to not ding anything and wont take shortcuts. Or shouldnt. Since you are paying for a careful job it should be perfect - so be sure to check everything well for nicks or rounded fasteners etc and no interference and get all your original parts and lines in case you ever sell. Once you start riding the cost will fade away and just calculate cost per mile if that helps!

Bill
Thanks, Bill, helpful suggestions all. Now I'm just waiting for a somewhat warmer day and for my coffers to fill back up.

Last edited:
Back