Apex clip-ons and HVMP weighted bar ends

kevin567

Registered
Just wondering if anyone has heavy bar ends like I do and have a hard time having them stay in place.

I have a set of Apex riser clip-ons, which I love because of their incredible adjustability. I have them set up high and wide when doing my iron butt trips and find that they are extremely comfortable. The only problem I was experiencing was that the vibrations really got my wrists quite numb after riding for a full day, so I bought a pair of HVMP heavy bar ends. They come with a long bolt a rubber collar that expands as you tighten the bolt.

However, on my first trip with them, I found out that somewhere between Niagara Falls and Rochester that the one on the throttle side had worked its way out (and hopefully ended up in a ditch rather than bounced into some poor unsuspecting cager's windshield... worse yet imagine a block of aluminum flying up at you on a bike??).

Anyway I bought a replacement and tightened the hell out of it, but again last year I caught it in my hand just as it was about to fall off again somewhere on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Any ideas on a better attachment system than the rubber gasket/tube?

I think part of the problem is that the inside of the Apex handlebar there are 2 diameters, it starts at 3/4" then narrows to 5/8" about 1" into the handlebar.

Thanks,
Kevin

I don't have your bar ends but I have had that problem. I sprayed the rubber with workable fixative (3M spray mount) and they stayed put (and were a ***** to remove). I'm not sure this is the best solution, but it worked and it's cheap.

Back